help needed/floods

sami

Aug 7, 2003
is there anyone organizing a way to help the people who are without homes etc. if anyone has any information, I will pass it on to the people I know in Cabarete. We would like to help in some way

sami

Aug 7, 2003
the church on the way to the caves in organizing a gua gua to take supplies.
soooo, everybody. We all have things in our homes...that we don't need. An extra t'shirt....things shoved in the back of your closet. It is a good excuse for spring cleaning.
thanks for the imput Mark

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
daisyone said:
What can we do outside of the DR? I am in the US and want to help.
Should I try to mail things? I'm not sure of how to go about it, but I am sure I want to help in any way I'm able.
oh ic Daisy, sorry I can't help you, hope someone can give you instructions

sami

Aug 7, 2003
for the people in the Cabarete area:
the church in La Cienaga (the road to the caves) will be holding a food drive on sunday at 10 am. Of course, that includes anything that you can donate.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Johnny Bernal, president of the National Hotel & Restaurant Association, writes that the Hotel Clarion in Santo Domingo at Av. Tiradentes (Naco) has set up a donations collection center where people can bring food, beddings, clothings...

To contact him, call 809 562-3100 or email johnny.bernal@naco.com.do

Luis Jose Cabral, of Don Juan Hotel in Boca Chica, is also joining the effort. He asks that money not be sent, better food and clothing, etc.
He also requests that people with 4 x 4 vehicles join them to take out the goods to the flood victims. He explains they will be leaving Saturday at 5:30 am and will be distributing the donations to the priests of the area churches.

Por favor no manden dinero; sino efectos de comida, ropa, etc.

Anyone wanting to join, to contact him email j.cabral@verizon.net.do

Last edited:

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
To Drop Off Donations

The National Emergency Committe behind Plaza de la Salud, Comite Olimpico Dominicano, Pedro Henriquez Ure?a 157, Channel 4, Channel 5, Channel 9, all in Santo Domingo and most towns all over the country are taking in donations. Remember the Dominican Red Cross, churches, etc. Similar places in the U.S. in New York, Boston, Miami where there are significant Dominican communities.

I am proud of my hometown, La Vega, where they had a donations drive yesterday and today already there are 16 trucks full of food, clothes, medicines, etc., on the way to Jimani.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Juventud Nacional Comprometida (JUNCO), an organization of young people who want to make a better Dominican Republic, is organizing a trip for Saturday out to Jimani. Those who would like to contribute can bring them sheets, towels, canned foods, medicines, water or cash that will be used to purchase bottled water for the victims, one of the most needed items. They will be collecting donations as of Friday, at 5 pm at the offices of Castillo Pantaleon at Calle Luis F. Thomen 109, Evaristo Morales. For more information, call Johanna Sanchez at Tel. 777-5223, or email johanna_dess@yahoo.es if you want to take anything before that time. The group will leave on Saturday, 29 May in the early morning for Jimani and return the same day.

lefgirl

May 21, 2004
I want to help

I am flying out to Cabarete tomorrow. I am very skint as used all money to pay for holiday but I thought if I packed an extra t-shirt or something I could donate it when I get there. Would that help at all? I know it is only a small gesture but if everyone who is going out to DR in the next few weeks did the same and brought something to donate it would soon mount up. Maybe they could contact the tour operators/airlines to ask people with holidays booked as I am sure that any person with a heart would help in this way.

sami said:
for the people in the Cabarete area:
the church in La Cienaga (the road to the caves) will be holding a food drive on sunday at 10 am. Of course, that includes anything that you can donate.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been following events from across the ocean with great distress. I can't vouch for this organisation but I received an e-mail from them today. They work in the south west and they are offering to channel help to the victims and to advise people who want to help on what they can do.

E-mail manos_a_tiempo@hotmail.com

On a more positive note, I was pleased to see a link to DR1 on the BBC News website, although they call it the 'Santa Domingo News'.

Chiri

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Beware of a hotmail address

Chirimoya said:
I've been following events from across the ocean with great distress. I can't vouch for this organisation but I received an e-mail from them today. They work in the south west and they are offering to channel help to the victims and to advise people who want to help on what they can do. E-mail manos_a_tiempo@hotmail.com Chiri

Beware of any 'organization' using a hotmail address. That may be a sure sign that it does not even have a dedicated phone line for its 'business'. One sure way is the International Red Cross which helps the Dominican Red Cross.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Fundacion Sur Futuro, one of the most responsible groups that has for years been working in the impoverished south, has a donations office open at Unicentro Plaza, 3rd floor office. Tel. 472-0611, fax 472-0612

They are requesting donations in canned food, potable water, pharmaceuticals, and cash contributions.

goflo757

Apr 7, 2003
Drop-off locations is Sosua

In Sosua, we are collecting clothing & food donations. Items can be dropped off at Juan Perdomo's offices on Pedro Clissante, Sosua and the office in Cabarete next to Hotel Kaoba. Other drop-off locations are Tropicoco Restaurant in Cabarete and Teja Tech across from Perla Marina.

We will be taking all donations to Jimani on Saturday. Items needed are:
Medicines--antibiotics, antidhiarrials, aspirin, etc.
Detergents---cleaning supplies, disinfectants, mops, buckets
Foods-----rice, beans, milk, bottled water
Basic hygiene supplies like towells, toilet paper, sanitary napkins

Any clothing will be needed as well.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
goflo757 said:
In Sosua, we are collecting clothing & food donations. Items can be dropped off at Juan Perdomo's offices on Pedro Clissante, Sosua and the office in Cabarete next to Hotel Kaoba. Other drop-off locations are Tropicoco Restaurant in Cabarete and Teja Tech across from Perla Marina.

We will be taking all donations to Jimani on Saturday. Items needed are:
Medicines--antibiotics, antidhiarrials, aspirin, etc.
Detergents---cleaning supplies, disinfectants, mops, buckets
Foods-----rice, beans, milk, bottled water
Basic hygiene supplies like towells, toilet paper, sanitary napkins

Any clothing will be needed as well.

Will this be a one-off trip or are you making a few more?

goflo757

Apr 7, 2003
Contributions for Jimani--needed by Saturday

Yes, they will be making one trip and are leaving Sunday morning. It's a 9 hour trip. They've hired a large truck and have gotten a donation for the gas.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
How will this be distributed?

goflo757 said:
Yes, they will be making one trip and are leaving Sunday morning. It's a 9 hour trip. They've hired a large truck and have gotten a donation for the gas.

How will this be distributed? The correct way is to go the the National Emergency Commission being run by the Red Cross, Civil Defense, etc. and they will handle the complicated distribution process (and you will save 5 or 6 hours of driving each way between Santo Domingo and Jimani and lower the risk of your getting some kind of disease by going to ground zero).

I hope you all are not thinking of just stopping at a corner and start passing out things unless you are taking a platoon of soldiers with you!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Contact numbers for the national emergency commission which coordinates government organizations in charge of local disasters:
Comisi?n Nacional de Emergencias, Tel. 472-0909
Defensa Civil (Civil Defense), Tel. 542-6184
Cruz Roja Dominicana (Dominican Red Cross) Tel. 238-5312