La Romana/Bayahibe Weather

honeymoon1

May 14, 2004
La Romana--Worried about weather 5/22-5/29

My husband and I are taking our honeymoon in La Romana for one week on 5/22. I have been reading the 10 day forecast on weather.com and I am a bit worried. Could somebody let me know what the weather has been like recently?

Thanks!! :classic:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As reported in the thread on the 10-day forecast, the point is that there is no such thing as a realiable 10-day forecast. The probability of you having good weather is 90% in your favor. This is the Caribbean, after all. But you should be prepared for short showers that can happen any day.

honeymoon1

May 14, 2004
Thank you for your speedy reply!! All I want is a few hours a day on the beach...I know nothing is guaranteed, but my fingers are crossed!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
honeymoon1 said:
My husband and I are taking our honeymoon in La Romana for one week on 5/22. I have been reading the 10 day forecast on weather.com and I am a bit worried. Could somebody let me know what the weather has been like recently?

I have just returned from La Romana, May 1, - May 12, and can report that the weather was very nice. Three of the 11 days we had some rain, at times heavy, but the showers lasted less than 2hrs at any given time. The temperature ranged from 85 during the day to mid 70?s at night. Excellent weather for this time of year.

As this is the off season you will find most of the attractions are not crowded and you should have a wonderful time. By the way there is a new restaurant in La Romana that I would recommend. It is Albertos, and is located, in town, above the Piano Bar.

Charlie
Indianapolis

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
honeymoon1 said:

Just thinking about this person who has come right in the midst of a tropical wave. Well, it should be gone by Tuesday-Wednesday. In the meantime, go ahead and enjoy the tropics under the rain.

May I tell you that the first trip I made abroad with my husband (our honeymoon) was blessed by constant rain. As I have written before, it was to Sevilla, Spain and it rained and rained and rained. But the city was classically beautiful under the rain, so much more I was disappointed when the sun came out and showed all the defects.

MaryDC

May 25, 2004
Weather in La Romana

I just read about the very unfortunate weather situation. My husband, three year old daugther and I are currently scheduled to leave tomorrow moring for La Romana. Can anyone inform me if any sun is expected the rest of this week?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The weather in the Caribbean is weird. All day today in Santo Domingo it has been sunny, despite the weather forecasts of rain!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The bad weather has moved on... Here is the explanation for the good weather.

According to the US National Hurricane Center in Miami, Fl:

"Anomalously-strong anticyclone is sitting N of Puerto Rico near 21N67W with anticyclonic flow basically controlling the area E of the W ATLC/Caribbean trough axis to 55W. Ely winds cover the Caribbean and northern South America E of 75W... Somewhat unusual for late May. Drier air in the mid/upper levels is filtering in from the E... Helping to end the precipitation over the flood ravaged areas of Hispaniola. The system that caused all of the rain over the eastern Greater Antillas has moved farther to the N and E... Leaving only isolated showers behind today."

See http://vortex.plymouth.edu/atl_sat.gif

And http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATWDAT.shtml? for the full detailed explanation about weather in the area today.

Last edited:

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
la romana weather

MaryDC said:
Thank you for your responses. Very much appreciated.
Marydc. Hi. Maybe you can hlp me. I'm thinking of dropping into La romana and am wondering how to best get up to PP/sosua area. Any ideas? thanks, john

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You can charter a flight at the La Romana Airport (pricey).

You can take a taxi (pricey) to Puerto Plata from La Romana.

You can take a taxi to Santo Domingo, and then take the Metro Bus to Puerto Plata. (somewhat pricey).

You can take a RD$125 bus into Santo Domingo. The bus gets into a dump terminal, but don't mind. Everyone (rich and poor) use that terminal because it's the only one as the union has blocked the better companies from traveling to La Romana. The people will be friendly and help you to find a taxi. From that bus stop take a taxi to Metro in Santo Domingo and take a RD$200 bus to Puerto Plata. (These rates are not firm -- I am writing from memory). That is the longer, but cheaper way to go. These are good buses.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
La Romana weather update

Just was on the phone -- Wednesday at 1:40 pm -- with La Romana and they told me "it won't rain today". The good weather is back.

suellen

May 26, 2004
Thanks for the info Dolores. I am leaving Friday morning for Casa De Campo in La Romana - any info on this place? I hope the rain stays away. :classic:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Weather should be fine. Casa de Campo is one place where good weather is important to enjoy the fine golf opportunities, and all the other outdoor activities. Check out Altos de Chavon, La Marina, and of course the town of La Romana. Also visit the beach area of Bayahibe (there is a public beach strip right beside the Palace Dominicus. Worth renting a car to spend the day there on the beach. Post a trip report (report on the weather too), once you get back.

cchester

Mar 21, 2004
How's the weather in Cabarete?

Is there anyone who knows if there has been flooding in Cabarete. I have recently purchased a condo at Orilla del Mar 1st floor. The closing is supposed to take place on May 31, 2004. Any news would be greatly appreciated.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
cchester said:
Is there anyone who knows if there has been flooding in Cabarete. I have recently purchased a condo at Orilla del Mar 1st floor. The closing is supposed to take place on May 31, 2004. Any news would be greatly appreciated.

Please post your question about weather in Cabarete in the Puerto Plata section, see the other thread.

Regarding weather in La Romana today, reports we have is that it is "fine" meaning normal sunny with some clouds. Chance of rain, of course, as can happen any day in the Caribbean.

For more on weather in the DR, see http://www.dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml