money

ftkid

May 25, 2004
hi
its ME AGAIN sorry
im comming from europe, wil my euros be ok, or will i need usa dollers, or the local currency. Should i change here or wait until i get there. OH yes i will be staying at a all in clusive resort, so HOPEFULLY will not need too much money. thanks

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Basically, the most widespread hard currency exchanges tend to be from either Dollar or Euros to Pesos. You do need Pesos to purchase most things in the country. Go to www.listindiario.com.do , it's the oldest and most respected Dominican newspaper and it list at the bottom the current exchange rates for Euros and Dollars against Dominican Pesos.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I would not bring Euros to the DR. I am from Canada and would not bring Canadian dollars either. U.S. dollars or pesos are the accepted currency. If it is hard to get U.S. currency in Europe, just bring your bank card and withdraw pesos from the bank machines when you get here. Popular Bank accepts most worldwide bank cards and the exchange rate is pretty good.

P.S. If it's easier, you could bring American Express travellers cheques which are readily cashed.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
No Euros

ftkid said:
hi
its ME AGAIN sorry
im comming from europe, wil my euros be ok, or will i need usa dollers, or the local currency. Should i change here or wait until i get there. OH yes i will be staying at a all in clusive resort, so HOPEFULLY will not need too much money. thanks

Bring US$ - the rate for the Euro is pathetic in the DR right now. The Euro should be 1.22 US$ to one Euro and that means about RD$57 vs. RD$47 for US money and it was about 52 this week in Boca Chica. They want US money, bring some.

ftkid

May 25, 2004
thanks

Hi
But will i need a lot of money if im going to stay in a " all inclusive""
I dont have us $ looks like im bringing my euros. You have all got me worried now. Only 10 days to go.
If i change my euros to dollers, the bank charges, then i lose money
if i take euros there and change to peso the bank will charge, SO :cry: DONT know what to do.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You will probably do better changing the Euros to Dollars in Europe and then bringing dollars here. Bring some dollars and Euros and worst case is you lose a few percent on the exchange of the Euros. Things are cheap here anyway.

Scott

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You "Could" Take Advice Given

ftkid said:
Hi
But will i need a lot of money if im going to stay in a " all inclusive""
I dont have us $ looks like im bringing my euros. You have all got me worried now. Only 10 days to go.
If i change my euros to dollers, the bank charges, then i lose money
if i take euros there and change to peso the bank will charge, SO :cry: DONT know what to do.

Buy some US$ from a bank, wherever you live and bring them, you will not lose as much as if you bring Euros and they offer you 20% lower than the true value.

'Nuff said. If you ask advice, take it, and as such bring US. If you bring Euros then you can worry your little head off about it. But the loss of value is completely avoidable.