Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie- Just booked first time to DR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Newbie- Just booked first time to DR

Hi guys, Ive just booked to go to the Dr at the end of august with my partner and wanted to do research straight away, and this seemed like the best place to ask. Im nervous, and excited at the same time. I feel cut in half, as i really want to venture out of the complex, but feel i dont have the confidence to do so. Was hoping to make some friends on here who would guide us in the right direction to make our holiday worth while. .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you and your partner aren't confident enough to venture out alone, make friends with one of the barstaff (one of the girls if you are so nervous) and ask them to take you out. You will have to pay for taxis, drinks, etc. but you will be safe.

You don't say where in DR you will be, if it's north coast - Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete - there are lots of DR1ers who live around there, I'm sure one or two of them will come out of the woodwork for you!

But just relax, and enjoy.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you are the you will be FINE. A lot of people who have never been have misconceptions (not you..........maybe people who find out you are going), so this can make 'first-timers' nervous.

Like DB said - if you get to know some of the Dominicans in your hotel then someone will be able to show you life outside........and you will love it.

There's nothing to worry about, and i want to be the first to tell you about Presidente - its v. nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks guys

Yes you are right, now that people are finding out that im going they put there spin on things but my mum has been 4 times so i KNOW that it is not as bad as people are making out. Oh and before you ask, no i cant ask my mother as too many questions will be asked about how i can afford it lol. (credit card she doesnt know! shhhh!). I am going to the north, one of three places wil not know until i get there. Either sosua, or playa dorada. I did get the feeling that most members are in the north. Thank you for the tip on the beer most appreciative

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the picture of a botle top with 'Brians belly' written on it, when i put that picture on yesterday it was of a bottle of Presidente, its now changed for some weird reason.

Anyway, enjoy yourself!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pink
    Oh and before you ask, no i cant ask my mother as too many questions will be asked about how i can afford it lol. (credit card she doesnt know! shhhh!).
    The future takes VISA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Whether you wind up in Sosua or Playa Dorada, there is lots to see and do outside of the resort environment. Just excercise your common sense (don't stumble around drunk at any time, don't flash large amounts of jewellery and/or cash) and you should be fine.

The nice thing about the Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete area is that everything is within easy travel distance. Each area has it's own charms and a taste of each is well worth it.

Relax, go with the flow, and you will have a great time.

Rose

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up A Great Adventure

If you go to the Playa Dorada area, please make an effort to assist Fundacion Patria. You can find much more information about this project in this forum. You may have to go to page 2 or 3 to read about FP. If you have the desire to help the Dominican school children, you can work with FP. It's a very reputable organization dedicated to a very worthwhile cause.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :-)

SB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like asking for money by a TV preacher. I am all for charities but this doesn't have to go into every thread, does it?

Post Thanks / Like

Question quick question

Having booked for a week end of august, all inclusive what is the best way to take money? dollars only or half local and half dollars. And only for going a week i was thinking of only taking about 150 do you think that would be enough? advice really appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast