Updated Price Info

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
Hi, I am returning to the DR next week (June 4-10) and haven't been in a while. I lived in Santo Domingo from '97-'99 and was wondering if some of the prices had gone up since that time. I know the peso has inflated quite a bit, so I'm sure things are a bit more "expensive", but I just don't want to be ripped off.

Just to give me an idea, please let me know how much are:

-rides in publicos
-colmado goods like: pan de agua, a refresco, fundita de agua
-a decent bandera meal of arroz, habichuelas, and carne

I can't wait to get back. I'll be spending a few nights in the city and a few on the beach in Punta Cana. I love the DR!

Thanks for any other advice you can offer as well.

Mike

p.s. Are the recent rains and flooding anything I need to be concerned about or prepare for?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
-rides in publicos -- RD$13
-colmado goods like: pan de agua (RD$3), a refresco (2 liter coca cola RD$49), fundita de agua
-a decent bandera meal of arroz, habichuelas, and carne RD$75

Rate today is about RD$48 to the US$1.

Those are prices that locals pay. Just visit a supermarket to get a grasp of prices.

For those who have US$, the DR is a great bargain!

Regarding the recent rains and flooding... nothing to be concerned about or prepare for, unless you plan to go out to Jimani, or one of the inner island areas where rivers overflowed, that are way out of the normal paths followed by tourists. With the exception of residents that live beside the rivers in the big cities, little damage was done in the cities.