Moving & Starting a Business in the DR

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Myself, partner & daughter are at present living in the UK. But we are planning to move to the DR next year. We holidayed in Puerto Plata, last year and loved it, we also fell in love with the people and their way of life. we are to return again in October to be married and look at renting a property to start with, as we have been given this advise. We have also been given information on schools etc. The problem is we have a budget, of around ?60,000 to play with. As this won`t last forever, we would have to find some form of income. We have also been advised to invest it and we should be able to live off the income. But thats not us, we would like to start a business of some form. This hopefully will enable us to live comfortably and give something back to the DR as well, we are not aiming to get rich. At present I work on the Railway, I am a Signals and Telecommunications Engineer, (work with the Electrics) so there`s not much call for that. I was also a very good chef for many years.We dont speak Spanish & have been told that it is very difficult to start a business. We have two ideas for a business, one is shooting, the other is poultry. We are both keen clay pigeon shooters and have been for many years, I have been shooting clays since the age of 16, I am now 42 so I would dearly love to open a clay pigeon shooting ground and offer the tourists a days Clay shooting in paradise.We have worked out a business plan and everything from security to the shoot itself, possible income, to hired help but we have been told this is more than likley to be a no no, because of the stringent gun laws in the DR. The other idea is poultry, We would like to start a chicken farm. Organic, freerange, free from steroids etc. We have a friend who is a poultry farmer, he rears on average 3000, per month. We wouldn`t aim to have as many as that of course, nearer the 1000, mark. But have been told the DR people may not go for this as they already have their own poultry farms and we may be stepping on their toes, it could upset them. So before I start working for months on a new business plan can anybody give me some advise as to whether this is possible. thanks.

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I dont live there but

I am not there yet but the one word of advice I have been given consistantly is that almost all the money people loose is what they invest in the first two years down there. I have been told consistantly that if you wait until you are there for a year or so and then look at the options your chance of sucess at whatever you do is greater.
Just passing on what I have been told.
John

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Pick the most economically depressed city in the UK. You know, the one people are moving away from, factories are closing, unemployment is high, etc.

Then multiply that by 10, and you've got the current economic state of the DR.

Would you move to that economically depressed city in the UK and start a business? If not, you should think hard as to why you'd move here and do the same.

The right way to start a business here: Any business which earns USD. An internet business. A tourism related business. An export business.

You should look to start exactly the kind of business that would be successful in an economically depressed area in the UK. Earn dollars, not pesos and it has a MUCH better chance of succeeding.

Per the specifics of the two businesses you are proposing: I would suggest you don't try to invent something new. Instead, visit 10 countries in the caribbean/latin america, and check out which businesses are successful. If you see several clay pidgeon shooting businesses, then that would be worth spending time on.

Copy what someone has made work in another, similar country, and bring it here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Great post Adrian!

Doing business here is like nothing you have ever encountered. I would strongly suggest you sit of your 60,000 and invest at least 3 months getting to know this country and how things work before making a commitment of any sort. Rent a place, look, listen and learn. To be honest, your business plan has more worth in it's paper recycling value right now, as you really have no idea of all the pitfalls that exist.

On the positive side...

Other than living here, this board is by far your best source of knowledge.
Don't be afraid to ask relevant and specific questions. You will always get relevant and specific answers.

We ALL want your future business to be a success here, but it's important for you to know this country is not a walk in the park.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the funny thing about free range chickens

At least what I saw on a CNN reort last night, is that they are not free range-like cattle wandering around and eating whatever they find-at all. They are just not in cages!. And that is how 100s of thousands of chickens are raised here already.

So no clay pigeons (exhorbitant costs involved=just multiply what you pay for a box of 12 ga. shells and X 4 times (or more) + headaches you have already been told about.

And no "free range poultry" Already too much of that, and no real market value for the "free range" thing.

Ever think of the cigar business? This is where it is centered. there are opportunities, if you can find somebody to buy them in the UK.

And there are plenty of other opportunities, but like the good AdriamB has suggested, you have to look around. And hang onto your money as if it were a lifesaver and you were afloat in the middle of the pond!. Many people will be looking to "help" you...

HB

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Hillbilly said:
At least what I saw on a CNN reort last night, is that they are not free range-like cattle wandering around and eating whatever they find-at all. They are just not in cages!. And that is how 100s of thousands of chickens are raised here already.

So no clay pigeons (exhorbitant costs involved=just multiply what you pay for a box of 12 ga. shells and X 4 times (or more) + headaches you have already been told about.

And no "free range poultry" Already too much of that, and no real market value for the "free range" thing.

Ever think of the cigar business? This is where it is centered. there are opportunities, if you can find somebody to buy them in the UK.

And there are plenty of other opportunities, but like the good AdriamB has suggested, you have to look around. And hang onto your money as if it were a lifesaver and you were afloat in the middle of the pond!. Many people will be looking to "help" you...

HB
thanks for the advise, So would we be able to survive in the DR for a year say on ?10,000 English Pounds.

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Robert said:
Great post Adrian!

Doing business here is like nothing you have ever encountered. I would strongly suggest you sit of your 60,000 and invest at least 3 months getting to know this country and how things work before making a commitment of any sort. Rent a place, look, listen and learn. To be honest, your business plan has more worth in it's paper recycling value right now, as you really have no idea of all the pitfalls that exist.

On the positive side...

Other than living here, this board is by far your best source of knowledge.
Don't be afraid to ask relevant and specific questions. You will always get relevant and specific answers.

We ALL want your future business to be a success here, but it's important for you to know this country is not a walk in the park.

Thanks for the advise, I do spend a lot of time reading here. So would it be possible, for us to move to the DR, rent for a year and survive on a budget of ?10,000 uk pounds.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
You can do it for that

Look if you are not trying to live like a king you can do it. I was in full party mode on one trip and other than lodging I spent $20 a day and was having a blast. So with cooking your own meals and not going out every night three people can make it on under $800 US a month.
Hey worst case find your self a low paying job someplace to stay busy. My opionion your biggest danger is getting bored.
Outside looking in.
John

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
jsizemore said:
Look if you are not trying to live like a king you can do it. I was in full party mode on one trip and other than lodging I spent $20 a day and was having a blast. So with cooking your own meals and not going out every night three people can make it on under $800 US a month.
Hey worst case find your self a low paying job someplace to stay busy. My opionion your biggest danger is getting bored.
Outside looking in.
John
Thanks for your helpful advise, I have been around quite a bit, in the forces, so I have seen all sides of the coin. The thing that we would like to get across is, we are not some silly tourists that visited the DR, had a great two week vacation, and have come back with the holiday blues. And from that hey presto we are going to move and holiday for the rest of our lives. We know that it is not going to be easy, but infact it`s going to be a nightmare at first. We dont even speak the language. Different cultures and a completly different way of life. But whilst we were holidaying there, we took time to meet the people and looked at thier way of life, most of them do not have the luxuries that we take for granted over here, but through all that they are smiling. We are preparing ourselves to say goodbye to all that we have here and have a megre existance until such times as we have rebuilt a new life. We both enjoy reading the threads on this board and hopefully in October, we are going to aim to meet up with some of the people living in the DR that contribute to the messages on DR1.

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Thanks for your helpful advise, I have been around quite a bit, in the forces, so I have seen all sides of the coin. The thing that we would like to get across is, we are not some silly tourists that visited the DR, had a great two week vacation, and have come back with the holiday blues. And from that hey presto we are going to move and holiday for the rest of our lives. We know that it is not going to be easy, but infact it`s going to be a nightmare at first. We dont even speak the language. Different cultures and a completly different way of life. But whilst we were holidaying there, we took time to meet the people and looked at thier way of life, most of them do not have the luxuries that we take for granted over here, but through all that they are smiling. We are preparing ourselves to say goodbye to all that we have here and have a megre existance until such times as we have rebuilt a new life. We both enjoy reading the threads on this board and hopefully in October, we are going to aim to meet up with some of the people living in the DR that contribute to the messages on DR1.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The clay pigeon shooting thing for tourists might not be a bad idea. You would have to find some tour operators (English ones bring the most tourists to the North Coast) to sell it for you - as they control the excursion/tours market, and be ready to pay outrageous commissions (40%).

Its worth looking into. Talk to the tour operators first and see how they receive the idea.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Coming Down myself

Hey I am coming down myself. Maybe in a year maybe in two or maybe back and forth. I am will retire under age 40 with a pension and healthy so I am going to be playing for a while before I settle down.
My first trip was me being crazy spending. My second was me being less crazy and my third down right thrifty. I am on vacation now and the reson I am not there is I am takign care of things here so next year when I retire I can just leave.
If you want to leanr the language and take some time to learn you way around why not take the Tesol course and get qualified to teach english in some little town or something. Not much money of any but keeps you busy and imerses you in the culture.
John

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Conchman said:
The clay pigeon shooting thing for tourists might not be a bad idea. You would have to find some tour operators (English ones bring the most tourists to the North Coast) to sell it for you - as they control the excursion/tours market, and be ready to pay outrageous commissions (40%).

Its worth looking into. Talk to the tour operators first and see how they receive the idea.

Thanks for the encouragement.
When we where in Puerto Plata, we did ask some of the tourists what they thought. the feedback seemed all positive. It is a really popular sport in the UK, Canada, USA. We shoot every week and for a 50 bird sporting layout it costs us on average ?100. Now we shoot at many clubs, one in particular has at least 200 people turn up every Sunday to shoot. Another one that opens every Saturday about the same, there is hundreds of clubs here in the UK. We have been to competitions where 500 people have turned up, and paid ?50 upwards just to enter. We know many people whom have spent upto ?25,000 on a gun. We also now many many people who book shooting holidays, Greece, America, they go all over europe for competitions as well, it seems there is an awful lot of people prepared to spend large amounts of money for the love of this sport. Now if we could offer a 50 bird sporting layout to start with, that would be five stands of ten. With five people shooting at each stand, thats 25 people shooting on the range at anyone time. A saftey officer at each stand. As I have said I think ?50 for a fifty bird sporting round is very very reasonable. Thats ?1250.00. Its big money eventually, we aim to start small and grow. We would love to become the Bisley of the DR. It is possible, but we would require a lot of help and support. Imagine 25 shooting in the morning and 25 in the afternoon. Imagine shooting holidays in the DR?, Just a thought. We are sure we could have nice income, along with many other people involved in the running of this business.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
So find a couple of caribbean countries where this is being done, and model from them.

If this sport is not in any other caribbean country, thats a red flag. It doesn't mean it won't work, but it can be expensive to be an innovator.

Find the closest possible environment to the DR with a clay shooting environment and see if you can adapt what they do.

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
word of advice

Most of us are here for all those reasons you mentioned, and again, most of have been around the block more than once....and we are still on our toes......most Dominicans, and the nicest ones sometimes the most guilty, are looking for their chance to gouge you every chance they get..and if you are as savy as you say you are, you might learn quick.....leave your money where it is, live here for 6 months, see how you feel ....you will know by then if you and your family are ready for the D.R( and vice versa)...and for Gods sake what makes you think you can spill your guts about future business plans on this board, without someone stealing your ideas(don't think you have any problems with the chicken idea...but the other,trust me, someone is already checking out....).......Okay, that was lesson#1 of about a million more to go.....Good Luck!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
~

That shooting business is a nice idea! Casa de Campo Resort in La Romana, DR (on the southern coast) has one of the largest skeet shooting ranges in the World. They have had alot of success with that, along with their golf courses and Altos de Chavon of course.

Contact a few lending institutions to get an idea how much you will be able to borrow and at what interest. Also, contact some of the resorts and tour operators in the North Coast area for "connections". Now that I think of it, that's exactly what the Puerto Plata area needs!

Let's see, Playa Dorada received anywhere from half a million to three quarters of a Million tourists a year! Combine that the the hundreds of thousands that visit Cabarete, Sosua, Cofresi, and Maimon combined you got a good customer base! As if that wasn't enough, you got a good number of very rich families living in Santiago and the Cibao (about 2 hours away) and lots of expatriates and well off people living all over the north coast. Heck, your business could even become popular with people from Puerto Rico ( a major source of tourist for the north coast) and Turks and Caicos as well.

You might also want to contact Casa de Campo to maybe get an idea on the maintenance costs, the building costs, overhead costs, miscellaneous costs, etc. as well as revenue and profit potentials. If you do decide to go forward with this business idea, post it on DR1 once you have opened! I'll be one of your first customer!

Skeet shooting on the North Coast, why didn't I thought of that?!

If you get anyother excellent business ideas, just remember this ... Tell the world what you plan to do, but first show it!

Not everybody will be nice enough to see you succeed, some will take advantage and steel your idea. But hey, that's what the courts are for! And you have a good number of "eyewitnesses" on DR1 to back you up as being the first (to our knowledge) of introducing the idea of skeet shooting in Puerto Plata!

And out of the bushes...

Yes yes yes- start a shooting range, i will be there practicing my old skills.. :bunny:

And maybe you should open a handgun-range as well. Great sport.

......Now where did i left my old rusty artillerie-luger, its time to come out of the woodwork....

ELin3pi2!

May 26, 2004
I disagree with the copyuing concept.

Follow your instinct, however like somebody else said before, be there for a little while and see don't rush to invest your money.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
To Brian Richards: Why DR?

Maybe I missed something here, Brian, but why do you want to move to the Dominican Republic?

I am always curious to learn the reason why people move to DR and to DR in particular, rather than to any other "similar" country? As for me, I have compared DR with Malaysia and I find many advantages with the latter place.

Let me quote your own words: "We are preparing ourselves to say goodbye to all that we have here and have a megre existance until such times as we have rebuilt a new life."

...and that new life in DR? What do you expect from it, that you can not find find back home? Oh, and please do not mention warm climate and smiling people. I find it hard to accept that anyone would emigrate for those reasons.

By the way, have you been to any tropical destination where people are not smiling? I haven't!