American Dollars

barney2004

Jun 1, 2004
I ahve recently purchased some dominican pesos, not many at all!! the rest of my money is in american dollars and american dollar cheques. Reading this site it suggest that when cashing in cheques I will be given dominican pesos. Will this cause any problems for me???

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
Hiya

We came back from DR last week. We stayed in Playa Dorada and most places preferred to take pesos. You can change travellers cheques into either pesos or dollars but the exchange rate for dolars is about 8% so we stuck to pesos. You can pay in dolars but most of the time you will be given change in pesos. We thought we were "ripped off" a couple of times when given change in pesos, being from England we had work out Pounds to dollars, then dollars to pesos, a little confusing to say the least! Everyone uses different exchange rates too! I would say you are better off using pesos. Hope this helps you!

ftkid

May 25, 2004
money

hi
im going next week to punta cana. it dose not come more complicted than me, im from the uk, but live in spain, so i think in pounds then convert to pesatas then to the NEW euro. Now have to change into usa dollers into pesos. Now thats shopping :surprised

barney2004

Jun 1, 2004
dollars

will still be ok though to take the american dollars cheques as this is what the travel agent recommnded. anyway what was the weatehr like?? im really worried about going there

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you want to buy stuff you need pesos

barney2004 said:
I ahve recently purchased some dominican pesos, not many at all!! the rest of my money is in american dollars and american dollar cheques. Reading this site it suggest that when cashing in cheques I will be given dominican pesos. Will this cause any problems for me???

So....when you cash a traveler's cheque or some US$ cash and get pesos, that is want you want, right? I don't understand why you think getting pesos to spend in a place that sells everything in pesos will be a problem. Just don't cash too much US$ at one time - if you are in an all inclusive, you may want to limit it to $20 or $50 ( to get about RD$1000 or RD$2500 at one time), so you are not holding pesos when you leave.

And if you are NOT in the DR yet, DON'T buy pesos at home from a bank etc., they sell them to you at terrible rates and there are places to buy pesos in the airport - in SDQ airport, as an example, before immigration/passport control and again in the luggage area before customs and again in the main terminal and then again in every town you will be in.

barney2004

Jun 1, 2004
travellers cheques

ricktoronto said:
So....when you cash a traveler's cheque or some US$ cash and get pesos, that is want you want, right? I don't understand why you think getting pesos to spend in a place that sells everything in pesos will be a problem. Just don't cash too much US$ at one time - if you are in an all inclusive, you may want to limit it to $20 or $50 ( to get about RD$1000 or RD$2500 at one time), so you are not holding pesos when you leave.

And if you are NOT in the DR yet, DON'T buy pesos at home from a bank etc., they sell them to you at terrible rates and there are places to buy pesos in the airport - in SDQ airport, as an example, before immigration/passport control and again in the luggage area before customs and again in the main terminal and then again in every town you will be in.

hi

i already have some pesos, us dollaras and lots of us dollar cheques , im planning to do alot of the trips, and the rep will only take dollars?? but when i cash a cheque im goign to get the money in pesos , any suggetsions

goldilocks

May 27, 2004
what to take?

I'm a bit confused now! My boyfriend and I are trying to decide what to take as we fly from the UK in 2 weeks time... How much do you think we will need for 2 weeks staying in Playa Dorada bearing in mind we are staying all inclusive but want to do a few excursions? Do places accept Visa? would it be better to get a combination of travellers cheques and cash in US dollars? We've never been to the DR before or stayed all inclusive so really don't know what to expect. :ermm:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Give them some of the dollars

barney2004 said:
hi

i already have some pesos, us dollaras and lots of us dollar cheques , im planning to do alot of the trips, and the rep will only take dollars?? but when i cash a cheque im goign to get the money in pesos , any suggetsions

You have dollars and the rep wants dollars so give them some of the dollars. Get small enough traveler's cheques ($20's and $50's) and pay with those. US$ is US$, so the "rep" should be happy to take the cheques. When you want pesos, buy a small amount as you need more pesos, the cambios are everywhere .

You are suggesting some sort of problem here but you should be OK. Cashing US$ cheques to get US$ CASH may be difficult. If you have a safe in the room, then bring more cash and less cheques and then you don't have to worry if the rep takes the cheques since you can hand over some cash. I never take cheques any more. Just cash.

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
Hi Goldilocks

My boyfriend and I returned from Playa Dorada last week, boo hoo! We took about ?500 each (we planned on being extravigent so you wont need that much). We didn't spend it all. We went on loads of trips etc, most of them cost about ?50-?60 depending on what you do. You will only need money for shopping as like you say everything else is included. We went on a trip to "Saona", a tropical island in the Caribbean Sea which cost about ?130 and was amazing (expensive as you have to fly to the South of DR). We also did the "Paradise Island" trip, "Monster Trucks" and went to Ocean World. They were all really good, but Ocean World is a must! All booked through our rep, they weren't much cheaper at the plaza. We also went on the "funny bikes" twice (quad bikes). It was only about ?15 each to share one (3 hour guided ride) and it was sooo much fun, we had a right laugh!

Which hotel are you staying in? We were in Gran Ventana and it was perfect.

goldilocks

May 27, 2004
thanks

Hi Hel

we're staying in Gran Ventana!!!! Did you take travellers cheques if yes where did you cash them? Did you pay for anything with Visa?

Last edited:

goldilocks

May 27, 2004
doh!

goldilocks said:
Hi Bronze

we're staying in Gran Ventana!!!! Did you take travellers cheques if yes where did you cash them? Did you pay for anything with Visa?

can't tell I've never used a chat room before.... sorry Hel and thanks! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nubiankat

Mar 28, 2004
Yes, but...

goldilocks said:
Do places accept Visa? would it be better to get a combination of travellers cheques and cash in US dollars? We've never been to the DR before or stayed all inclusive so really don't know what to expect. :ermm:

Yes, some places take Visa. I usually just take cash (pm me for creative ideas on stashing cash for travel). I do not like to use my Visa (only for "just in case"), because you pay the exchange rate and possible other "convenience" fees by your bank. Check into your bank's exchange rate policies. It's irritating when you notice you paid about five more bucks when you get the statement. :cry:

Last edited:

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
goldilocks said:
Hi Hel

Hello again

Oh how exciting!! You will love it at the Gran Ventana, it was perfect. The pool is absolutly huge with loads of sunbathing area, and theres a seperate quiet pool thats fairly big too. All of the restaurants are lovely, there's so much choice of food, yet the quality is of very good standard too. The "fun team" who provide day time and evening entertainment are all so friendly and a good laugh. They really do work so hard to keep us happy! And of course there's lots of free booze, great choice of cocktails and any other alc you could ever want!

We did take travellers cheques. We payed for our trips with them through our rep and didn't have to get those changed so that was very conveinent. When we did get others changed we took them to the Plaza, 2 minutes walk down the road. There are planty of exchange booths there and i think they all have the same exchange rate. We didn't pay for anything with Visa but we did with our bank debit cards and those worked.

Have a wonderful time, we sooo wish we were back there now :knockedou

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
goldilocks said:
I'm a bit confused now! My boyfriend and I are trying to decide what to take as we fly from the UK in 2 weeks time... How much do you think we will need for 2 weeks staying in Playa Dorada bearing in mind we are staying all inclusive but want to do a few excursions? Do places accept Visa? would it be better to get a combination of travellers cheques and cash in US dollars? We've never been to the DR before or stayed all inclusive so really don't know what to expect. :ermm:

When do you leave? We are in the hotel next to you from the 8th June!

:)

goldilocks

May 27, 2004
Thanks

Hi Hel

thank you! You wouldn't believe the uming and ahing we've been doing trying to work out what's best....

am really quite excited about going - not long now! :bunny:

goldilocks

May 27, 2004
nubiankat said:
Yes, some places take Visa. I usually just take cash (pm me for creative ideas on stashing cash for travel). I do not like to use my Visa (only for "just in case"), because you pay the exchange rate and possible other "convenience" fees by your bank. Check into your bank's exchange rate policies. It's irritating when you notice you paid about five more bucks when you get the statement. :cry:

thanks Nubiankat!