Dominican Capitalism!!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lets embrace Capitalism in the DR to the fullest of its potential! If you have a business idea and have no worry of others putting that idea to good use, then don't hesitate to share it with all DR1ers!! However, don't just say what type of business you would like to have, but explain how yours will differentiate it self from the competition (and getting the authorities to grant you monopoly status is not an option)! Also state how your business will benefit the community beyond the usual means (ie. other than creating jobs, etc). I would like to see all of these capitalist minds put to good use!! Let the business enterprise begin!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Nal0whs said:
Lets embrace Capitalism in the DR to the fullest of its potential! If you have a business idea and have no worry of others putting that idea to good use, then don't hesitate to share it with all DR1ers!! However, don't just say what type of business you would like to have, but explain how yours will differentiate it self from the competition (and getting the authorities to grant you monopoly status is not an option)! Also state how your business will benefit the community beyond the usual means (ie. other than creating jobs, etc). I would like to see all of these capitalist minds put to good use!! Let the business enterprise begin!!

A true capitalist's main priority would be about one benefit.....Profits! All others would be secondary and only to be discussed if it is to enhance ones marketability.
That being said I am interested in some of the ideas that may appear here. Congrats on a good idea for a thread Nal0whs!

jerrys

Dec 14, 2003
Are you a businessman ? How much cash and business experience do you have ?

Nal0whs said:

jerrys

Dec 14, 2003
Right on target!

Tony C said:
A true capitalist's main priority would be about one benefit.....Profits! All others would be secondary and only to be discussed if it is to enhance ones marketability.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Sometime in the next 10-15 years when my kids are on their own I wish to dedicate most of my time to my passion which is Scuba Diving as well as fishing, but focus on how to invest in these activities making them economically sustainable.

I don't really care if I make any money but just to be able to help this activity be a way to get youth in the areas where the best diving and fishing are, to have a possibility to make a decent living without having to damage the sea or the wildlife.

Most of the current dive operations on the island are more geared towards making money, catering to newbies, getting as many people as possible per trip to the closest site to the resort. This is the All-inclusive mentality of the Dive industry, which I agree has it's place but what is really lacking is the dive facilities catered to more experienced divers, to go to farther away better quality dive-sites, taking advantage of fresh-water cave diving as well as tecnical diving, and NOT be located out of an all-inclusive and not employing almost all foreign dive instructors and dive masters.

This island is very under-rated when it comes to this sport because all people know are the few sites that are close to the resorts which are over-pressured. I believe if we still take care of what we have left we have a very good future in this economically sustainable sport which keeps growing year by year to be today a multi-Billion dollar business.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
You started this thread asking about how any of the proposed businesses would help the community besides providing jobs.
A Dive operation doesn't even provide many jobs. A few crew and divers and thats it.
How would your business help the community?

BTW Just a matter of opinon but if you do not care whether the business makes money or not you are doomed to failure

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Tony C said:
You started this thread asking about how any of the proposed businesses would help the community besides providing jobs.
A Dive operation doesn't even provide many jobs. A few crew and divers and thats it.
How would your business help the community?

BTW Just a matter of opinon but if you do not care whether the business makes money or not you are doomed to failure

I think you did not get my point.

I was mearly stating that this is in no way a get "rich quick" business. When I stated it to be economically sustainable that as long as I could cover my investment and a very minimal profit, I would be happy, the idea being more of a hobby for me as an investor but with a social conscience if you will, providing jobs to local people in tasks such as dive-shop clerk, tank-filler tech/repair, dive boat captain, boat-hands, dive masters and instructors.

You would be surprised how many people even a small operation can employ. I'm sure you have been to Cancun/Cozumel/Riviera Maya and seen the literally hundreds of dive-shops in an area equal to Bavarao/Punta Cana. Some smaller Caribbean island almost live exclusively off this sport namely Bonaire, Saba, Roatan/Bay islands, Turks and Caicos, Caymans, Los Roques etc.

If the objective would be to mention power-house business ideas, this obviously is not it, but it does fit a un-fulfilled need/opportunity that will continue to grow as our tourism does and IMHO is the area of sustainable tourism activities we should focus on not just AI-beach-sun tourism.

Other areas that would fit this mold would be charter and party-boat fishing operations, Live-aboard diving and or fishing, as well as other more common sport-tourism activities such as golf, etc.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
1st law of business, don't speak about business with someone that has a double identity on a web-forum.... :rolleyes:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wrong topic people!

I just wanted business ideas to be on display! Not to question whether business people care about anything else but profits. Of course they only care about profits!! Why are they in business?

But, when a business person is asked how his business helps the community, he has to come up with something! Can't say, I only live for my self!! So please, lets stick to the topic.

Express different business ideas!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anybody that can organize golf tours here is going to do well.
The price the quality and the culture will make for some great golf tours.

Right now, trying to set up tee-times on multiple courses is a nightmare if your coming from overseas. Anybody that can tap the golf market and make it easy for people to play golf here will do very well.

The DR has some great golf courses right now and many more are just around the corner.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Remember Henry Ford anyone. He had a little trouble. He had workers that would only stay for 30 days and he needed to stop the turn over. He had this radical idea he raised the daily wage to 2.5 times what the standard was. Here is the catch he only gave you a 50% raise up front. Once you completed a year working for him you got the rest of your pay as a bonus. His employees did what with the money? They almost all bought a Model T Ford.
Some of the other catches were if you did not speak English you had to take classes. He had his investigators looking through bars to ensure you were home with the family and not drinking. They also went to your house to ensure you wife was keeping the house clean.
So what would happen in the DR if someone like Henry Ford really wanted to help the People?
Not justifying or condemning just adding fuel to the fire.
John