Us$ Dollar Investments??

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
First off ID like to thank everyone for all the help to some of my questions.
All the replys were very helpful!

OK,, so its seems pretty obvious to stay away from "PESOS" now let me ask another question.

What are the going interest rates (more or less) for 90 day CD'S in dollars?, and what banks whould you consider (if any) is giving the best service in the Dominican Republic right now? I mean please dont tell me that we have good banks in the country!!

GOOD GOD, WHAT DID THAT BALD MONSTER HIPO DO?? I CANT BELEIVE THE CHANGES THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN 4 YEARS!!

Is there no congress or laws that can stop a president from raping his own country this way? Whould someone please explain to me what the F--- happened?? IM serious.. someone please fill me in on what happened!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Same Risk, Different Currency

Despite the much higher, non-taxable interest on US CD's it is as foolish to invest in US$ in DR banks as pesos except you don't have the market risk problem ( hence the non 60% rates) but you will ahve potentially and quite probably, a liquidity problem at maturity, in addition to solvency issues depending on the bank, currency limits in the future, who knows? Caveat emptor.

project9

May 29, 2004
-

By "invest" do you mean having your money sitting in a bank generating interests or do you want to start a business or something like that?

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
project9 said:
By "invest" do you mean having your money sitting in a bank generating interests or do you want to start a business or something like that?

generating interest...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
mekkizm,

do not gloss over the advice ricktoronto just gave you....as your first and most important step....read it and fully understand it before proceeding.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Question:

mekkizm said:
generating interest...

This interest you mention, and while we're on the subject, the principal: do you want to get it paid back for sure in the future? And in US$ and not ,say, converted to pesos (think:Argentina)?

Let's say you do. The USA is an option for investment as are the tax sheltered locations such as private banking branches of major North American or UK banks, in Cayman, Bahamas, etc.

Let's say you don't. DR US$ accounts for your life savings pay really BIG interest. WAY more than the USA.

If you are a "don't " sort of guy - I will give you better interest, on the condition that maybe I just don't really, truly, have to actually give you the money back if maybe I can't or won't or don't want to. But I will "pay" you MORE interest for another year. And another, and another.

Rethink your investment strategy.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The ONLY place I would put dollar investments right now in the DR is in finance houses where I REALLY REALLY know the score. I have taken all my dollars OUT of DR banks & put overseas. At the very minimum, we are expecting increased taxation on interest drawn from bank investments. That is the best possible scenario. For worst.....see above posts.