Puerto Plata - Things to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leggie

Jun 3, 2004
:D

I am travelling to Puerto Plata in 2 wks time, and would like to know what type of activities there may be for my husband (who still acts like his 25 despite being 45) and my daughter who is 17 (going on 30!), as well as myself (I will not disclose my age, but I work with teenagers and would love to be 20 again!)

Staying at the Rui Bachetta, I read a post on this forum saying the beaches at Puerto Plata aren't very nice, Being my first visit to DR I am not sure what to expect.

Advice pls.

Leggie

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
.............there's loads to do

There is a thread somewhere in here on the cable car ride up Mt Isobel de Torres.

Near to Puerta Plata there is a place where you can climb up (and slide down) several waterfalls. Run a search and you will find more info.

You can go fishing for sailfish from Puerta Plata harbour.

20-30 minutes along the north coast road is Sosua, this beach is amazing (IMO) for scuba diving.

.................and more

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Check out the links to Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete and Playa Grande, all within about one hour's drive from your hotel at http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml

Note that your hotel is somewhat out of the way. It is about a 20 minute drive to Puerto Plata city, but if you rent a car, all is near.

There are many, many beaches in Puerto Plata, of all kinds. The car will enable you to explore several of them. I think once you do this, you will conclude that Puerto Plata beaches are fabulous!

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Pop

leggie said:

I am travelling to Puerto Plata in 2 wks time, and would like to know what type of activities there may be for my husband (who still acts like his 25 despite being 45) and my daughter who is 17 (going on 30!), as well as myself (I will not disclose my age, but I work with teenagers and would love to be 20 again!)

Staying at the Rui Bachetta, I read a post on this forum saying the beaches at Puerto Plata aren't very nice, Being my first visit to DR I am not sure what to expect.

Advice pls.

Leggie

Check out www.popreport.com for activities in or near Puerto Plata. Ocean World is also a good stop. Finally, if you can, check out the beach at Caberete, about 1 1/4 hours from your resort.

leggie

Jun 3, 2004
Thank you not long now.

Buzzard said:
Check out www.popreport.com for activities in or near Puerto Plata. Ocean World is also a good stop. Finally, if you can, check out the beach at Caberete, about 1 1/4 hours from your resort.

Thanks for all the info, I've not long now before I leave the UK. Less than a week and I can't wait to see the DR and experiences that I have read about on the forums.

Leggie.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
leggie said:

Advice pls.

Leggie

Bring your UZI and hang out with LADYBIRD, be just like DisneyWorld

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
leggie said:

Advice pls.

Leggie

Sosua has a few discos and Caberete has a lot of bars, great places to go at night. Sousa beach is lined with bars and thats always fun during the day.

Randi

Mar 14, 2004
I stayed at the Bachata for the first time in April. Unfortunately, my trip was cut short due to a friend's injury but there is plenty to do (though I didn't get to do any of it :( ) It's breathtaking to be standing in the ocean and facing the lush green mountains. Again, I haven't done it but on the way back to the hotel from the clinic, the taxi drive drove us to the cable cars to get a view and it is beautiful. Also, driving through really gave me my only opportunity to see life outside the resort. I really would have enjoyed taking an afternoon or two to walk around and get a feel for it. We were also planning on going on a catamaran ride one day. There are plenty of excursions available. The animation crew will try to get you involved (everything from water aerobics to dance lessons to bingo). They're very friendly though their activities weren't really my style. Being that you're married you should be safe from the sankies. I'm sure you'll be able to find things to do to make your time there an enjoyable one.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Little More Info For You

All the postings have been very good. I would like to ask you to please find the Fundacion Patria thread in this General section. If you are so inclined, please pack an extra checked bag full of school supplies for the Dominican children. They are in dire need of our assistance in any way we can see fit to help.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

Status
Not open for further replies.