Ferry Sabana de la Mar - Samana

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hello all, I have read that there is a ferry going from Sabana de la Mar to Santa Barbara de Samana. Does anyone know if it takes cars or is it only for foothpassengers? Does anyone know the timeschedule of this ferry?
Thanks a lot
Bartolomeo

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Ferry

I borrowed part of the following from a previous post of mine.

Service from and to Sabana de la Mar and Samana.

The ferry services about 35 passengers at a time. The cost to cross the bay is 100 Pesos and travel time is about an hour. Departure times from Sabana de La Mar are 9am, 11am, 3pm, and 5pm. Departure times from Samana are 8am, 10am, 2pm, and 4pm. The company name is: Transporte Mike, en Samana, and the owner answers by the name of LALO and can be reached on Cellular. 269-2535

There is no passenger vehicle service. The fare and schedule above was in effect for March 04 and may have changed since then.

Regards,
PJT

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
the fernandez govt bought a car ferry i believe from the british columbian government back in the late '90's. stupidly they put the cart before the horse and brought in the ferry before the two ports were dragged. i went thru sabana de la mar at easter and the ferry is still there and it looks as though the dragging of sabana de la mar stopped at least a couple of years ago - not due to lack of funds, but theft of funds by hippo's govt. i believe the completion of this project was one of the many projects to have been completed with one of those $500 million bond issues. the car ferry has been seriously looted and looks like it will take a fortune to make it seaworthy again. just another dr scandal. maybe fernandez will revitalize his samana marina pet project and complete this car ferry run, but he has no money to do it. who knows, maybe a private investor will see that money can be made from it with a 25-year lease and it will be done privately: almost always the best solution.

Feb 7, 2007
The ferry now costs RD$150, schedule from Samana to SDLM is 7, 9 and 11am, and 3pm. The cell number of the owner is still valid and he will give you any information you need.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The ferry still doesn?t take cars but will take a pasola or small motorbike. On busy days I?d hate to be one of the sardined in passengers! Take your own lifebelt.