Need a bilingual lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthcoates

Apr 6, 2004
Does anyone know a good lawyer that can help a friend of mine in the DR with a busniness transaction? My friend needs a lawyer that can read and speak English and Spanish.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where is your friend? If in Sosua, I recommend Fabio Guzman or Guido Perdomo. Both speak English and Spanish. Of the two, I'd suggest Fabio Guzman because he has a bigger office and handles a wide variety of legal matters, whereas Perdomo is busy with real estate transactions in his one man office.

ruthcoates

Apr 6, 2004
Ken said:
Where is your friend? If in Sosua, I recommend Fabio Guzman or Guido Perdomo. Both speak English and Spanish. Of the two, I'd suggest Fabio Guzman because he has a bigger office and handles a wide variety of legal matters, whereas Perdomo is busy with real estate transactions in his one man office.

My friend lives in Santo Domingo but if there are no lawyers available in the captial, am sure he would have to go to Sousa. Could you give me his telephone number.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ruth, I believe you can find a lawyer closer to Santo Domingo than Sosua. Since you posted in the legal section, why not wait to see what Fabio says; he is the lawyer answering questions in this section. In fact, he has an offices in Santo Domingo and on the South Coast.

T

TiberiusMineola

Felix Mercado! Puerto Plata.

If you can make it work from POP, I suggest you try Felix Mercado; work 261 0291; cell 360 6018. He speaks Spanish, English, French, German, & Japanese! [you read that correctly - Japanese!!]. He serves as a court translator in 3, 4 languages. And, . . . he's honest!! By "honest":
a. I don't mean to indicate that other DR lawyers recommended to you by DR1 members are not or will not be honest;
b. that many or most DRs are not honest, esp. when dealing with Gringos!
Go slowly! Be careful! Word of mouth is the best advertising.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I highly recommend:

Ciccone & Asociados
Fernando Ciccone Perez
Abogado / Attorney at Law
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Tel (809) 508-6933

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ruthcoates said:
My friend lives in Santo Domingo but if there are no lawyers available in the captial, am sure he would have to go to Sousa. Could you give me his telephone number.

Thanks

Speak to Fabio Guzman, his company has offices in Santo Domingo.
He has a 1/2 British/Dominican lawyer on staff that is fluent in English.

I just referred him to some friends of mine and they have said nothing but great things, especially after using one or two other Santo Domingo lawyers previously on their case.

Web: http://drlawyer.com
Email: info@drlawyer.com
Phone: (809) 571 2880

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes..... Argentina Brugal

billyidol said:
i recommend
Argentina brugal
pop
809 586 4736

I have lived here (Pto.Pta.) For many years and I have had the chance to have many dealings of all different kinds with this Lawyer.....She has told me to call her at home "Day or Night" No charge! For any info I might need!

The Lawyer's in this Country will SCREW thier Mother, Sister, Brother and Grandmother for a 1000.00 Pesos. So you being a Gringo my friend are at the bottem of the barrel I can assure you./...

Futhermore in the more then 15 years that I have recomended many Gringo's to her for numerous Real-Estate tranacations, I have "NEVER" had a bad word come back about her!

Lic. Argentina De Leon De Brugal
Abogado-Notario-Traductor
Local 148 Plaza Turisol ( 505)
Ave.Luis Ginebra
809-586-4736.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Tiberius, about Felix Mercado.....

.....add Dutch to his impressive list of languages. I totally support your comment about Felix's integrity. He was the judicial interpreter for Marianne Telfer, the family were delighted with his work. He also helped them handle a previous lawyer they had who was not so honest. I think it speaks volumes when a Dominican lawyer will support a gringo family who will NOT be staying here, against a fellow Dominican lawyer. Full marks, Snr Mercado!

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Where's Fabio when you need him ?

Great info everyone, and we have been watching to see what Fabio would have to say, but he appears to have gone 'silent' on us. His web-site is also unavailable at present, for some strange reason.

We would like to know two things along the lines of this thread :

1. Has Fabio opened his office in La Romana yet ?

2. Is there any equivalent to Lic. Brugal or Mercado, i.e. a really reliable and, dare one say, honest lawyer, in the La Romana area that anyone here could recommend ?

Having just received the sting in the tail of the latest in a series of legal screwings that go back over several years, we would really like to get a solid lead that works, including, if possible, someone who might be prepared to pursue the misdeeds of the previous 'legal advisors'.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

CB

Last edited:

ALGS

Jul 14, 2003
Fabio's La Romana office is still not open, but the Bavaro-Punta Cana office did open last year. His site at www.drlawyer.com is working, just checked.

ALGS

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Thanks for your reply ALGS, I just tried the website again, and it's still not coming up for me. There also seems to be various opinions about whether it's a 'www' address or just 'drlawyer' after the http:// : anyone have any input on this ?

Still hoping for any leads on the La Romana area ???

CB

ALGS said:
Fabio's La Romana office is still not open, but the Bavaro-Punta Cana office did open last year. His site at www.drlawyer.com is working, just checked.

ALGS

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
CloggieBoots, I haven't gone silent on DR1. I wouldn't do that. I stop by at least once a week.

The Guzman Ariza website is http://www.drlawyer.com and I don't believe it's been down lately.

Our office is not open in La Romana yet but we do have clients there and one of our English-speaking attorneys from Punta Cana or Santo Domingo could meet with you in La Romana.

As for languages, we can talk to our clients in Spanish, English, French, German and Portuguese. For those clients who cannot talk at all, one of our lawyers can communicate perfectly in Sign Language.

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Fabio J. Guzman said:
CloggieBoots, I haven't gone silent on DR1. I wouldn't do that. I stop by at least once a week.

The Guzman Ariza website is http://www.drlawyer.com and I don't believe it's been down lately.

Our office is not open in La Romana yet but we do have clients there and one of our English-speaking attorneys from Punta Cana or Santo Domingo could meet with you in La Romana.

As for languages, we can talk to our clients in Spanish, English, French, German and Portuguese. For those clients who cannot talk at all, one of our lawyers can communicate perfectly in Sign Language.

Hi Fabio,

Glad to see that you are still with us. I was just noting that as the original post on this thread was dated the 4th of Juhe, and as of this morning you had not made an 'appearance', that maybe you were otherwise occupied. No harm done. With regard to the web-site I just tried it again after reading your post and it does finally come up now. I'm not sure what has been going on in the capital, but we just had lunch there today with a couple of friends and one of them was complaining that his server has been down for the last two days, maybe that has something to do with it.

It's a pity that you are not open in Romana yet, but maybe we can arrange something else, along the lines you suggest. Is there any date forecast for an eventual opening here ?

Linguistically we can see your Spanish, English, French and German, but we have to concede the Portuguese; we can, however, raise you in Russian, Dutch ( Nederlands ), Fukien and Tibetan. :-(o)

The sign language is impressive, do you also do a sine wave for electronics buffs ?

On serious matters we will call you shortly.

CB

savetourists

Jun 21, 2008
Ave.Luis Ginebra
809-586-4736

Does anyone have an email address for this Lawyer in Puerto Plata?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ave.Luis Ginebra
809-586-4736

Does anyone have an email address for this Lawyer in Puerto Plata?
You would do better to open a new thread or put this question into your existing thread, rather than bury it in this 4 year old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.