Men in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Have you ever noticed the role of men as portrayed on tv (and pretty much as well, in real life) in the USA?

In virtually any american sitcom, the guy is always a bit out of it, and the woman is in charge, keeping the family together and things running

- married with children
- everyone loves raymond
- the simpsons
- that 70's show
- the cosby show

Maybe I'm reading something that isn't there, but I have noticed this, and much more from living in the DR. Personally I think women's lib has gone too far in the US, and thats probably reflected on american TV.

What do you think?

Adrian

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Totally agree, that's why also maybe north american women have lost the feminine touch and appeal that any self respecting women should have...

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
adrianb said:
Have you ever noticed the role of men as portrayed on tv (and pretty much as well, in real life) in the USA?

In virtually any american sitcom, the guy is always a bit out of it, and the woman is in charge, keeping the family together and things running

- married with children
- everyone loves raymond
- the simpsons
- that 70's show
- the cosby show

Maybe I'm reading something that isn't there, but I have noticed this, and much more from living in the DR. Personally I think women's lib has gone too far in the US, and thats probably reflected on american TV.

What do you think?

Adrian

I agree with you with the exception of Al Bundy. Al was always in charge. He just led Peg to believe she was. I know this for a fact because I saw an interview with him in ?Big Um?s? magazine.

Charlie

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Okay, I am a little confused here. My husband and I have a remarkably traditional relationship. He is the main breadwinner (I work part-time because I enjoy it and "need to get out of the house"). I take care of all of the little details that he simply doesn't have time to do (and I generally do them better). Women tend to be better at making sure that everyone has what they need, when they need it. A lot of times that may look like "I am in charge" but that is not the reality. We are both in charge.

In a lot of ways, it often looks like my husband has no idea what is going on. A good example is when I plan a vacation to the DR. He leaves it up to me to choose the place, when we go (consulting him on dates that he is available) and the main question that he has is how much is it going to cost. Once that is approved, we are good to go. All I have to tell him is when to be ready to go.

In a lot of cultures, women tend to be "in charge" of daily, family obligations and activities, usually unobtrusively. A good example is a female Thai friend of my husband's family. She explained that the men in their culture handled the "important" issues, like religion, politics and philosophy. The women handled the "unimportant" issues like business, finances, educating the children, arranging marriages (i.e. economic alliances) LOL.

Is this so different from what occurs in the DR?

Rose

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
adrianb said:
Personally I think women's lib has gone too far in the US, and thats probably reflected on american TV.

What do you think?

Adrian

I agree. And let's not forget the smart-aleck kids. It's the political correctness that we have here. Although there are exceptions, in most cases it's only acceptable to offend males.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
If it appears that North American women are in charge it's because they are. Unlike our Dominican counterparts we are much more competent when it comes to making important decisions. Such as real estate, business, vehicles,banking. Ask a "typical" Dominican woman these questions and she'll have no idea what you're talking about and no interest in finding out. I pretty much make all the decisions. Not because I want it that way. Not because my husband can't fiqure it out on his own but because he trusts my judgement. I had my own car ,bank accounts and credit cards before I ever met him. I know a couple of Dominican men living in the states who wish their wives were more like me. These women bring NOTHING to the table. One guy lost a large percentage of his customers because he couldn't depend on his wife to help him. When it comes to hair,clothes and nails ask a "typical" Dominican woman. When it comes to anything of importance ask a North American woman (this includes Asian women since they are in control of household finances.)

I put the word typical in quotes as a means of pointing out I do not mean all Dominican women. I happen to know a very independent and business savvy Dominican woman here that I wouldn't hestitate to ask her opinion on business related issues.

Last edited:
During the night they flew on a broomstick

adrianb said:

- married with children
- everyone loves raymond
- the simpsons
- that 70's show
- the cosby show

What do you think?

Adrian

This is also happening in europe, the result are skyhigh divorce statistics. More and more men are marrying a foreign woman, (russia-poland- thailand etc) Take a look on the behaviour of some of the western women,and compare it with the behaviour of the DR women, and ask yourself which one do you feel most comfortable with?!

I will NEVER go back to one of those western women.. Have you heard about the fantasy game called "Dungons&Dragons"? I use to live there...

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Actually, I would say most women I know fit a very traditional role, as outlined in one of the defining life-manuals of our age. I have met Dominicans and Americans who fit this mold. AdrianB, I think you watch too much TV. Real life isn't like the pictures, I'm sorry. I've been very lucky, as well, to have modern role-models, like my mom, aunts, sisters, who are basically the the woman described below. And I am working on it. Don't let this be a western-women bashing thread, I've seen it enough on other boards with an international population, and it makes about as much sense as "Are dominicans good lovers". Take each person one at a time.

Hymn to a Good Wife

A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.

Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.

Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.

She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.

She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.

She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.

She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.

First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.

She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.

She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.

She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.

She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.

She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.

Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.

She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.

Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.

When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.

She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.

Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:

"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"

Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-GOD.

Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!

ETA: of my role models, who demonstrate the above qualities with such class, there is a high school principal, a corporate lawyer, three business owners, a nurse, a Harvard researcher, and my mom who is content to just chill out on the farm with the grandkids and her many little projects. So it's not about just staying at home, but more about balancing the roles women can play in the world with the role women play as the nucleus of a happy family.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Unlike our Dominican counterparts we are much more competent when it comes to making important decisions. Such as real estate, business, vehicles,banking. Ask a "typical" Dominican woman these questions and she'll have no idea what you're talking about and no interest in finding out.

Not true. How much time have you actually spent in the DR? Are you another goatfarmnga?

The women I work with here are fantastic! They're dynamic, smart, on top of their work and they get things done. If anything, I notice men in the DR can be less thorough in their work than the women.

I don't want a woman who is just staying at home, doing the ironing while I'm out in the world. I absolutely respect women who are successful and can get things done.

But the dynamic here feels very different to the US. I can't quite put my finger on it - but I think those television shows are a pretty interesting example.

Adrian

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The lost finger..

adrianb said:
I can't quite put my finger on it

Adrian

C'mon Adrian. You know exactly what it is. You just don't want to offend our North American Female members.
Go for it.
I'm way too chicken myself.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
adrianb said:
I can't quite put my finger on it
Adrian
Perhaps for proper identification you should put some hair around it......but then the cleanly shaven ones may escape which would then require a closer look to avoid mistakes. So many problems us guys must contend with these days.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
adrianb said:
Personally I think women's lib has gone too far in the US, and thats probably reflected on american TV.

What do you think?

Adrian

does that explain programs like the Dick vanDyke show from the early 60's? Rob, although the bread winner, was a bit out of it. Laura the stay at home mom was in control. How about Leave it to Beaver? Bewitched? The Brady Bunch? The Partridge Family?

mob

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
pati said:
If it appears that North American women are in charge it's because they are. Unlike our Dominican counterparts we are much more competent when it comes to making important decisions. Such as real estate, business, vehicles,banking. Ask a "typical" Dominican woman these questions and she'll have no idea what you're talking about and no interest in finding out. I pretty much make all the decisions. Not because I want it that way. Not because my husband can't fiqure it out on his own but because he trusts my judgement. I had my own car ,bank accounts and credit cards before I ever met him. I know a couple of Dominican men living in the states who wish their wives were more like me. These women bring NOTHING to the table. One guy lost a large percentage of his customers because he couldn't depend on his wife to help him. When it comes to hair,clothes and nails ask a "typical" Dominican woman. When it comes to anything of importance ask a North American woman (this includes Asian women since they are in control of household finances.)

I put the word typical in quotes as a means of pointing out I do not mean all Dominican women. I happen to know a very independent and business savvy Dominican woman here that I wouldn't hestitate to ask her opinion on business related issues.

Women think they know everything. The only women who take charge in the house is because their husband is a sissy. They carry your purse around in the mall. Let me put it this way, you American women are more aggressive than productive. Ex: You have no idea how to shop for a car or even guess what’s under the hood. You buy a car for style and color not for reliability. Know nothing about the track history of any model. You have no clue. You pay a lot for repairs because you get over charged. You girls even pay more for the same car as men in a dealer ship. You still have no clue. You pay a lot more for dry cleaning ex: a man's shirt is far more difficult to iron as compared to your tiny little blouse yet we pay 1 dollar for wash and iron for our huge shirt and you women pay as much as 3 dollars for your tiny polyester blouse. Your clothes cost more yet they are made up of polyester and other cheap material. You pay more for the style and colors and get zero quality. Men clothes have quality and durability. Men seek quality fabric and good tailoring. All in all, you women make bad to idiotic choices and stick by it even when you are proven wrong. You never admit your faults and men simply don't want the hassle and daily aggravations.
When it comes to voting, you women vote not for what the candidate stands for (past history) but for his looks and his cheap words.
You women have put so much fear in to men in working environment that no one wants to say anything more than good morning or good night for the sake of being accused of sexual harassment.
Now that you women have gotten (unfairly) equal rights, you all want to take over the country and the world. I see how you women suck at your jobs in USA ex: police, fire-woman (?) etc. Yes, there are some women who deserve the true recognition ex: women pilots , doctors, politicians and women who have achieved other historic tasks in their times but the rest of these so called women lib. extremists are all full of sh*t. They haven't proven a thing in this society yet they claim full credit for doing nothing.

Women have been encouraged to be aggressive because the law seem to be on your side. You know this advantage and use it as weapon.
I can even go deeper in to this issue but I am afraid some of you won't get it. All I have to say is this: why is it that the entertaining media, magazines and Hollywood portraying women as in charge of the house and show men to be so wimpy? Now ask yourself, who controls this industry?
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:laugh: :laugh: Here we go again.

AZB we are going to form a women's group in the DR and liberate all Dominican Women ( the ones that aren't yet of course) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love that show "everybody loves Raymond" but I do think Debra has grown bitchier through the years if you watch any of the earlier shows to compare. Can someone please tell me where I can find an Italian that is that easy to push around? :laugh:

Simpsons: I really love this one, Marg is a passive aggressive married to a dumb a@@ and only steps in as a last resort.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
AZB said:
All I have to say is this: why is it that the entertaining media, magazines and Hollywood portraying women as in charge of the house and show men to be so wimpy? Now ask yourself, who controls this industry?
AZB

Its nothing to do with women per se, it is to do with who controls the purse strings... Who makes the purchasing decisions in the average household. Obviously the media will reflect what the marketers want them to reflect. Follow the money! Women make most purchasing decisions in average households. They spend more money simply by managing the family budget. That is why women are mostly cast in the sit-coms as being 'more with-it' than men. Simple, men pay, women buy!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chris said:
Its nothing to do with women per se, it is to do with who controls the purse strings... Who makes the purchasing decisions in the average household. Obviously the media will reflect what the marketers want them to reflect. Follow the money! Women make most purchasing decisions in average households. They spend more money simply by managing the family budget. That is why women are mostly cast in the sit-coms as being 'more with-it' than men. Simple, men pay, women buy!
Here is a perfect example of 50-50 in marriage. men make $50 and women spend $50.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I don't get it!!

AZB said:
Women think they know everything. The only women who take charge in the house is because their husband is a sissy. They carry your purse around in the mall. Let me put it this way, you American women are more aggressive than productive. Ex: You have no idea how to shop for a car or even guess what?s under the hood. You buy a car for style and color not for reliability. Know nothing about the track history of any model. You have no clue. You pay a lot for repairs because you get over charged. You girls even pay more for the same car as men in a dealer ship. You still have no clue. You pay a lot more for dry cleaning ex: a man's shirt is far more difficult to iron as compared to your tiny little blouse yet we pay 1 dollar for wash and iron for our huge shirt and you women pay as much as 3 dollars for your tiny polyester blouse. Your clothes cost more yet they are made up of polyester and other cheap material. You pay more for the style and colors and get zero quality. Men clothes have quality and durability. Men seek quality fabric and good tailoring. All in all, you women make bad to idiotic choices and stick by it even when you are proven wrong. You never admit your faults and men simply don't want the hassle and daily aggravations.
When it comes to voting, you women vote not for what the candidate stands for (past history) but for his looks and his cheap words.
You women have put so much fear in to men in working environment that no one wants to say anything more than good morning or good night for the sake of being accused of sexual harassment.
Now that you women have gotten (unfairly) equal rights, you all want to take over the country and the world. I see how you women suck at your jobs in USA ex: police, fire-woman (?) etc. Yes, there are some women who deserve the true recognition ex: women pilots , doctors, politicians and women who have achieved other historic tasks in their times but the rest of these so called women lib. extremists are all full of sh*t. They haven't proven a thing in this society yet they claim full credit for doing nothing.

Women have been encouraged to be aggressive because the law seem to be on your side. You know this advantage and use it as weapon.
I can even go deeper in to this issue but I am afraid some of you won't get it. All I have to say is this: why is it that the entertaining media, magazines and Hollywood portraying women as in charge of the house and show men to be so wimpy? Now ask yourself, who controls this industry?
AZB
Don't hold back, buddy!!. Darn, I was wondering if I got off on the wrong side of the bed and now I realize that it was not me, but my Pakistani friend!. I have no time now to reply to your post, but as soon as I get home, I will rip you another holl(I know how to spell it, just can't here)!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
Don't hold back, buddy!!. Darn, I was wondering if I got off on the wrong side of the bed and now I realize that it was not me, but my Pakistani friend!. I have no time now to reply to your post, but as soon as I get home, I will rip you another holl(I know how to spell it, just can't here)!!!
You traitor, who's side are you on?
I hope (my dear friend miguelito) you won't end up like the guy who would be holding the purse of your dear lady in the colinas mall? I hope I never get to see that day. I perfer a million ants crawling all over my body before I get to see this. Please stop feeding the ego of these women lib. activists. They all want their men to become miguels. I won't allow that and I will save you. Don't worry, you have a friend in santiago.
AZB (anti-women lib activist).

Status
Not open for further replies.