Urgent - Ocean World Help

lefgirl

May 21, 2004
I am currently on holiday in Cabarete. I have severe sunburn on my right foot (after applying factor 50 sunblock!!) with burst blisters, and the doctor has had to take the top layer of my skin off, wrapped it up in a dressing and given me antibiotics :cry: :hurt: .

I am supposed to be having a dolphin encounter on Monday 7th June. The doctor says I can go but I cannot get my dressing wet.

Do you think they will let me go in with the dolphins/snorkel pool with a plastic bag and waterproof tape over my foot so I can keep my dressing dry? This is something I have wanted to do all my life and the Thomson Rep says I can't have my money back.

I hope someone can help me.

Many thanks

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi lefgirl,

PM Conchman - he can answer you for sure.

As far as keeping it dry during the Dolphin Encounter, you will be on a platform that is waist to mid-chest deep in the water (depending on your height) - ?? Can you keep it dry?

The Snorkel Reef is probably over your head but you wear a flotation device.

Good luck.

Gregg

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
As long as your foot can get wet, you should be fine. I suggest you do the tour and if you are not able to participate in the Encounter, we will arrange a full or partial discount for you via Thomson. Ask for Manuel at the park, he will be glad to help you with special needs as they might be required.

And cover up so you don't burn the other parts of your body.

boss170

Feb 26, 2004
We did it.

I went to ocean world with a friend who had a cast on his arm. We put a plastic wrapper that you find in drugstores made espescially for that. We went in the snorkel tank but did not try the dolphin encounter. I don't see where it would be any different..good luck and good recovery!

toby

Dec 8, 2003
While at ocean world we did the dolpin encounter and prior to entering the water we were told to place our feet into a disinfecting solution. This solution is located on the platform and is essential to the health of the dolphins as you can possibly transmit disease via your feet. As to covering your foot, there are medical adhesive tapes made of rubber or rubber backed in 1/2inch widths. Bind the whole dressing including your toes and to the base of your ankle. Do not bound tight but have contact of the adheasive tape to your skin (heel) for secure application(so it does not come off in the water). You then can protect your foot from the foot bath and the stinging salt water. After your encounter let your bandaged foot air dry, then in the comfort of your hotel room, remove your rubber cast, use distilled water around the wound(not directly on) and re-dress the wound as it first appeared. Purchase your medical needs at a drug store of choice in the area but remember to purchase the dressing material as your wound should be covered for the remainder of your trip.
If severe pain, fever, or infection is visable, see a doctor immediately for a topical anitbiotic. Do not try to treat this type of wound with tan lotions or other lotions as you will distrub the rejuvination of new skin cell production. And remember see your family doctor on your return home.
Go and have fun, but cover that foot really well..and enjoy your day and trip.
Toby

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Just to be clear my definition of distilled water is clean water (drinking water). Don't use to much soap as this to can help in spreading germs to the wound area but use enough on the base of your feet only to give you that clean feeling. Cheers and I envy you for I loved our encounter! Toby