DR Radio/American FCC and other ironies...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
As many here know there's has been much talk about the FCC over the radio waves (think Howard Stern vs Oprah) in the US. I see that there isnt much regulation in the Spanish-speaking market. The things said on El Vacilon and the new show on Latino Mix with el Pacha are incredible for those of us who speak spanish and understand the dirty slang from the different countries - so we know what they are saying. Is funny because MOST of those things cannot be said in English, but are freely said in Spanish at anytime time of the day!

On the flip side we have the DR. IMHO theTV and radio scene there SUCKS big time. There are no shows or programs that are consistant enough to sit and listen to - unless you are my mom and can listen to Se?ora Musica 24/7. They will never even phathom saying some of the things said in the US spanish stations.

It is ironic to me that you are so free to act and do as you please in DR (Presidentes offered in McDonalds and KFC), but the radio and TV is so restricted. Then again, I think you are more restricted to do as you please in the US, meanwhile, the radio is so loose - well, in the Spanish market at least.

People are free to dance in such a way that they are almost having sex in a discoteca in DR. But then it looks 'bad' when a woman smokes. The people who have a more non-traditional-Domincan 'look' are automatically labeled as druggies or thugs because it is still a taboo to smoke weed (although the weed part is a good thing to me). In the US, there is a lot smoking and so-called freedom going on, but they have to restrict the age limit for the purchase of alchohol because many young ones do not know how to handle it.

It seems to be a bit inconsistant to me. Any thoughts?

Talldrink said:
As many here know there's has been much talk about the FCC over the radio waves (think Howard Stern vs Oprah) in the US. I see that there isnt much regulation in the Spanish-speaking market. The things said on El Vacilon and the new show on Latino Mix with el Pacha are incredible for those of us who speak spanish and understand the dirty slang from the different countries - so we know what they are saying. Is funny because MOST of those things cannot be said in English, but are freely said in Spanish at anytime time of the day!

On the flip side we have the DR. IMHO theTV and radio scene there SUCKS big time. There are no shows or programs that are consistant enough to sit and listen to - unless you are my mom and can listen to Se?ora Musica 24/7. They will never even phathom saying some of the things said in the US spanish stations.

It is ironic to me that you are so free to act and do as you please in DR (Presidentes offered in McDonalds and KFC), but the radio and TV is so restricted. Then again, I think you are more restricted to do as you please in the US, meanwhile, the radio is so loose - well, in the Spanish market at least.

People are free to dance in such a way that they are almost having sex in a discoteca in DR. But then it looks 'bad' when a woman smokes. The people who have a more non-traditional-Domincan 'look' are automatically labeled as druggies or thugs because it is still a taboo to smoke weed (although the weed part is a good thing to me). In the US, there is a lot smoking and so-called freedom going on, but they have to restrict the age limit for the purchase of alchohol because many young ones do not know how to handle it.

It seems to be a bit inconsistant to me. Any thoughts?

Thats what you call "Culture". Dont try to understand it or change it just understand that it's theirs. Simple as that. We could all easily pick out all the wierd cultural habits in the states but you don't want me to go there.
No I will touch on one so you don't have the idea that we don't do things wierd. Where I went to graduate school in upstate NY there is a county called St. Lawerence County. It holds the honor of having the largest incest rate in the country. The sad part is. There is a statistic in our country that actually tracks who has the highest incest rate. hmmmmmm. That sound wierd to me.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
sancochojoe said:
Thats what you call "Culture". Dont try to understand it or change it just understand that it's theirs. Simple as that. We could all easily pick out all the wierd cultural habits in the states but you don't want me to go there.
No I will touch on one so you don't have the idea that we don't do things wierd. Where I went to graduate school in upstate NY there is a county called St. Lawerence County. It holds the honor of having the largest incest rate in the country. The sad part is. There is a statistic in our country that actually tracks who has the highest incest rate. hmmmmmm. That sound wierd to me.

Sancochojoe.

What, on God's Green Earth, does the rate of incest in St. Lawrence County have to do with DR Radio/ American FCC???

Just ANOTHER one of your post of your "Knock the USA" platform and thread robbing to foster your venomous attacks.

FYI, the FCC regulates the allocation of radio/tv broadcast frequencies,in the US. Additionally, they overwatch the uses of those frequencies, enter into agreements with other countries on the allocation/uses of the same frequencies, and promulgate regulations/operating liscenses for the same purposes.
Without such a regulatory agency the airways would be full of conflicting broadcasts and that scenario would be totally unacceptable in an organized society.

Texas Bill

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
The ONLY reason Stern is black-listed...

Stern's show is punished because of his anti-Dubya comments.

I'll get a chance to ask Michael Powell, but I have to disguise myself as a repug in order to get in.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Sancocho Joe, I'm not trying to change anything here. I love that we can get Presidentes in every single colmado in DR and that the discos are smoke free. It was an observation and I asked for feedback, thats all.

Texas Bill, I was looking for replies more like yours. I understand the concept of the FCC, do you have an idea why the Spanish market is not regulated as strict as the English?

Thick Neck, If you listen to both the Stern and El Vacilon shows, they are pretty much the same thing. Stern has live people, el Vacilon has callers. What is said on El Vacilon is way dirtier and they curse up a storm (Stern couldnt do that without getting fined thousands) what is 'pictured' in Stern's show is basically the same thing that is said on the other show. And yes, I do know that many of the things on El Vacilon are copied from Stern's show - since he does think that he created speech and thus everything from anyone else's mouth or show is copying him...

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Talldrink...

The FCC will not come after the Spanish-speaking shows for fear we'll use the race card. But attempts have been made by Miami Cubans to silence some shows. Tony even admitted it when he bragged about his calls to demand cancellation of an allegedly PRD-backed program.

The moral majority runs the FCC. They--Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Ashcroft, and a host of nincompoops--give marching orders to Michael Powell.

By the way, I've heard Tweety Bird (turncoat repug Chris Matthews) use the word 'cojones' on his show. They probably think it's a "good" word to use.

Last edited:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
thick_neck said:
The FCC will not come after the Spanish-speaking shows for fear we'll use the race card. But attempts have been made by Miami Cubans to silence some shows. Tony even admitted it when he bragged about his calls to demand cancellation of an alledgedly PRD-backed program.

The moral majority runs the FCC. They--Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Ashcroft, and a host of nincompoops--give marching orders to Michael Powell.

By the way, I've heard Tweety Bird (turncoat repug Chris Matthews) use the word 'cojones' on his show. They probably think it's a "good" word to use.

Thick, the argument is that the race card complaint can be used from the opposite angle: that by overlooking complaints of Latino radio audiences they the federal regulators are being neglectful of a large part of their duties....Latinos can, and have complained re. this : "Why do we have to put up with thrash talk?" I don't think these complaints are being ignored anymore as I remember reading re. 1 month ago in the English-language print media something along the lines of what's on the brief article in the link below
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040504-112609-5884r.htm

I have heard not just Chris Matthews but several orther TV pundits use the word cojones without hesitation. I honestly think that they don''t realize that it is much more vulgar to Spanish speakers than just "guts". I doubt they would use "balls" on the same broadcast.

Talldrink,
If you pay close attention to Dominican print media - going back at least a couple of decades - there is a lot less censure on showing semi-nude pics of big "hembras" with all kind of lewd commentary. Op-ed articles often include "co?os" and "carajos" as well as "pendejos" and "mierda". The censorship used to be a lot more stringent on the Balaguer years. That included editing films shown in theaters, often stripping them of sexual or political content, and of course, ruining the plot line at times. But even Balaguer was more focused on keeping political dissidence at bay than worrying too much about actual vulgarity issues. To this day, it seems to me, Dominican media is fairly free, but many journalists do a lot of self-censorship out of concern of which tutumpote will get annoyed. For example, the government is always a fair target, but you rarely if ever see investigative journalism looking at private sector corruption - the real power in the country.

- Tordok

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Talldrink said:
Sancocho Joe, I'm not trying to change anything here. I love that we can get Presidentes in every single colmado in DR and that the discos are smoke free. It was an observation and I asked for feedback, thats all.

Texas Bill, I was looking for replies more like yours. I understand the concept of the FCC, do you have an idea why the Spanish market is not regulated as strict as the English?

Thick Neck, If you listen to both the Stern and El Vacilon shows, they are pretty much the same thing. Stern has live people, el Vacilon has callers. What is said on El Vacilon is way dirtier and they curse up a storm (Stern couldnt do that without getting fined thousands) what is 'pictured' in Stern's show is basically the same thing that is said on the other show. And yes, I do know that many of the things on El Vacilon are copied from Stern's show - since he does think that he created speech and thus everything from anyone else's mouth or show is copying him...

Tall Drink;

I am of the opinion that the "Spanish" market is not as "regulated" as the "English" market is because of the limited number of programming facillities, the rather limited market, that they are "mostly" conducted in coloquial 'Spanish"(for which there are no direct transliterations) and generally because they deal primarily with as ethnic agenda.

After that run-on sentence, i have to take a breather!!!

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Tall Drink;

I am of the opinion that the "Spanish" market is not as "regulated" as the "English" market is because of the limited number of programming facillities, the rather limited market, that they are "mostly" conducted in coloquial 'Spanish"(for which there are no direct transliterations) and generally because they deal primarily with as ethnic agenda.

After that run-on sentence, i have to take a breather!!!

Texas Bill

I think that of all the markets regulated in the US, the Spanish market is the one that should be regulated. God almighty, I feel sorry for the families that have to constantly switch the station because of the vulgarity being said there. It's ok at 3 am, but at 9am? Common, people need some respect!!

But, for a much more obvious reason. There have been many incidents that Spanish stations call leaders in Latin America (though I won't mind if they call Hippo and say to him whats he's worth!), but they call to certain leaders (Castro and Chavez are favorites) and they pose as other leaders and begin to insult them, live!! You know how many times they have contacted Castro, make him believe he was speaking with Chavez and at the end of the conversation calling Castro a lot of vulgar things, that although might be right!, those things could cause a misunderstanding and who know, start a war!

Think about it, a Miami station insults Castro for the 500th time, the guy is in his late 70s, he figures that he's going to die soon so then he decides that he doesn't give about anything and bombs the crap out of Miami, all because of those pranks! Miami folks, better buy those bunkers that were sold during the Soviet threat era!

I don't really think that public property (like airwaves) should be regulated, but freedom comes with responsibility. People abuse their freedom in the US to the point that the lose it! Just because you are free to say what you want, doesn't mean you have to say a bunch of vulgar stuff on the radio where men, women, and children could easy hear it!! That's just my opinion!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Castro will start no war!

Nal0whs said:
I think that of all the markets regulated in the US, the Spanish market is the one that should be regulated. God almighty, I feel sorry for the families that have to constantly switch the station because of the vulgarity being said there. It's ok at 3 am, but at 9am? Common, people need some respect!!

But, for a much more obvious reason. There have been many incidents that Spanish stations call leaders in Latin America (though I won't mind if they call Hippo and say to him whats he's worth!), but they call to certain leaders (Castro and Chavez are favorites) and they pose as other leaders and begin to insult them, live!! You know how many times they have contacted Castro, make him believe he was speaking with Chavez and at the end of the conversation calling Castro a lot of vulgar things, that although might be right!, those things could cause a misunderstanding and who know, start a war!"

Don't you worry about that, Castro will start no war, besides, they managed to fool him once, not hundreds of times. Previously, they did do it to Chavez using a tape of the conversation Castro had with Mexican president Fox which Castro recorded without telling Fox and played on the air. That was a much more serious incident since it was from one head of state to another and it certainly did not start any wars! And the one time those guys fooled Castro, it was him who provided the vulgarity on air. The bad words came from his mouth. He reacted the same way any old Cuban guy on 8th ST. Miami would. Only in his case it was worse because he's a "head of State". However, being the omnipotent dictator that he is, he felt outraged that somoene young, and many miles away had placed a joke on him for everyone to listen. If you don't mind anyone doing the same to Mejia, then you would understand why so many Cubans really enjoyed that "conversation". Of course, I am not comparing the two, for all his faults, Mejia is not a for life totalitarian caudillo like Fidel is. Mejia is gone, thanks to democracy. In Castro's case, everyone just waits for his passing. I remember when they did it to Chavez and Chavez simply hanged up. What really worries me is the amount of vulgarity which is really an insult to the audience, along with sexual "jokes" using the dirtiest language possible that is heard on some Spanish language programs. That was the case in California a few years ago and it happens in NY and other places. I do agree that the same obscenity laws should apply, althoug not censorship.

There should be one standard for everyone.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Juan Carlos, your version of the prank is 100% accurate - I remember being late getting into my office building that morning because I wanted to hear the entire thing. I could not believe all the curse words that came out of Castro's mouth either. I could just imagine Bush going into a "telling off" rampage like that. It was funny tho!

Nal0whs: I'm part of one of those families that has to constantly switch the radio as I take my son to school in the AM. I mostly put on a CD that he likes, there's isnt much we can listen to together (and sometimes alone) English or Spanish in the morning.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
That's right!

Talldrink said:
Juan Carlos, your version of the prank is 100% accurate - I remember being late getting into my office building that morning because I wanted to hear the entire thing. I could not believe all the curse words that came out of Castro's mouth either. I could just imagine Bush going into a "telling off" rampage like that. It was funny tho!

Nal0whs: I'm part of one of those families that has to constantly switch the radio as I take my son to school in the AM. I mostly put on a CD that he likes, there's isnt much we can listen to together (and sometimes alone) English or Spanish in the morning.

I am glad somebody else remembers the prank well too. Like you say, it was funny tho. Just catching Castro off-guard like that and listening to his spontaneous reaction!

In California, there was a time when listening to Spanish-language radio was a real shock. They even had listeners calling and masturbating while they talked! Not to mention all the slang words the used in the process. Finally, a citizens group had to take the initiative and these type of "program" and its host went off the air. This type of thing does not go on in Mexico or in any other Hispanic country, I think. Don't know how things are in Dominican radio, althoug I've heard some people complaining about vulgarity in Puerto Rican radio. I am familiar with neither. Traditionally, Latin American broadcasting was treated with respect, good command of the language and diction as well as respect for listeners, were its main characteristics. Not everyone could get a job behind a microphone. I guess Dominicans or residents of DR could give us their views regarding Dominican broadcasting.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
How can you say the DR television is more restricted from the US? The basic cable in the DR shows the E channel and the Superstation with nudity and sometimes I even see Bush ( and I'm not talking about the W man)

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Castro Bomb Miami, please

Nal0whs said:

But, for a much more obvious reason. There have been many incidents that Spanish stations call leaders in Latin America (though I won't mind if they call Hippo and say to him whats he's worth!), but they call to certain leaders (Castro and Chavez are favorites) and they pose as other leaders and begin to insult them, live!! You know how many times they have contacted Castro, make him believe he was speaking with Chavez and at the end of the conversation calling Castro a lot of vulgar things, that although might be right!, those things could cause a misunderstanding and who know, start a war!

Think about it, a Miami station insults Castro for the 500th time, the guy is in his late 70s, he figures that he's going to die soon so then he decides that he doesn't give about anything and bombs the crap out of Miami, all because of those pranks! Miami folks, better buy those bunkers that were sold during the Soviet threat era!

I don't really think that public property (like airwaves) should be regulated, but freedom comes with responsibility. People abuse their freedom in the US to the point that the lose it! Just because you are free to say what you want, doesn't mean you have to say a bunch of vulgar stuff on the radio where men, women, and children could easy hear it!! That's just my opinion!

I suppose the USAF and Navy will just let the Cuban Migs penetrate our ADIZ and bomb Florida? Do you ever read what you post?

stormygirl

Jul 5, 2004
important question please

My daughter is in PuntaCana and has not called home to the US...... When trying to call there, I cannot connect to anywhere including the police dept.
Do you or anyone else have any idea if telephone power lines are down there?? Please let me know, or if you have a way of knowing... Thank you so much!!!!! Stormy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I think you might need a new thread for this, maybe in General, otherwise it could get lost.
I haven't seen anything on the news about PC being without phone lines. Mind you, sometimes the bad power situation affects phone lines, but PC should be OK for power. I know this sounds silly, but are you sure you are dialling correctly?
Chances are, your daughter is having such a good time she hasn't got round to calling you yet. Check the codes again, try again later & try not to worry unduly.