Prosecuting the PPH

Apr 26, 2002
I'm sure it would be less dangerous for Leonel's team to forget the money absconded by the current government. But, given the hundreds of millions of dollars in bond funds that appear to have disappeared into thin air, and the massive ongoing national debt, will the Fernandez administration have any choice but to try to recover some of this money from its hiding places in Panama, Miami and Zurich through national and international prosecutions?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I don't think even Leonel has the intestinal fortitude to pursue the recovery of the "absconded funds" taken by the PPH and it's adherents.
His modus operandi seems to be one of convincing the elite to return their dollars from offshore back into the fold of the DR economy. At least that is what I read.
Stealing public monies and absconding with same seems to be endemic to the political psyche in all nations to a greater or lesser degree according to the checks and balances placed upon the politicians.
In a country RULED by LAW, such activities are experienced to a much lesser degree than in those who ignore the law for one reason or another according to opportunities that present themselves.

Texas Bill

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
We all have to demand accountability!

I agree with Texas Bill and doubt Fernandez and the PLD have the intention of pursuing the thieves, especially when they have to deal with all those left in the legislative branch which can make governing particularly difficult.

However, there are others that are not so willing to let bygones be bygones, as is the custom of each new government looking the other way in regards to the predecessor's thievery. Vincho Castillo comes to mind and he may play a major role either from within the government or outside of it.

The raping and pillaging of the country's resources cannot be allowed indefinitely and if there is a government that needs to be pursued once it leaves office it is the present one. We all have to demand accountability!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
It would only be fair to prosecute the PPH if Leonel could be prosecuted for all the money that disappeared during his administration.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
There is no comparison

Chris_NJ said:
It would only be fair to prosecute the PPH if Leonel could be prosecuted for all the money that disappeared during his administration.

If it can be proven, of course, but there is no comparison. Leonel found a debt of 3.9 billion dollars and left it at 3.6, a 300 million dollar reduction in 4 years. Hippo found it at 3.6 and is leaving it at around 7.5! This, in addition to the incredible amount of taxes, increased tourism, etc., versus the lack of substantial government projects in his 4 years, make quite a case for outrageous theft; the worst ever, by far!