Importing vehicle into a Free Zone

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Does anyone have experience importing a vehicle into a free zone from the states? I own a motorcycle in ny that I would like to bring down here (dangerous, and probably stupid), and my family owns a factory in a free zone in Santiago. Could I put the bike in the factory's name (legally change ownership) in the states and then bring it down here without going through the people in customs? I suppose that I could crate it up and put it in a container that is coming down anyway. Any info would be appreciated.

Sonny.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Your family's business probably operate under a type of charter that specifies what equipment or raw materials may be brought in. Having said that, bringing stuff into a ftz is easy. I would be more concerned with getting it out. And unless your family has a lot of clout somewhere, this would create more problems than what it would solve. I would advise against doing this.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
yea...that was the part that I was worried about. Its just that someone mentioned to me that Timberland had company cars a few years ago and they didn't come across any problems. But thanks anyway.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
you're either a daredevil or a business man

If you're trying to pimp your bike in Santo Domingo, my condolences ahead of time. If you're going to sell it then good!. The motorists that operate motorcycles in DR are called "MUERTOrita" for very good reasons. I sure as hell wouldn't want to know what being applied Mentiole with a paint brush would feel like at Dario Contreras hospital which is where they take most of the dominican road rashers wheather you live or die. If you're going to pimp your bike, you need to exercise cat like reflexes or just ride away from major traffic. Regardless of type of ridding, a helmet is a great idea 'cause it's like a box of chocolates in the streets, you never know what you gonna get. Good luck.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Forget it. I love my bike but I'm just going to sell it in the states. Too much hassle!

Cyber Park

Jan 2, 2002
mywebpage.netscape.com
exonerated bike

Sorry, even if bikes in the DR are used for mass transportation, free zone will grant you an exoneration for a cargo or personnel transportation vehicules only.
you can bring a lexus, navigator or even a hammer, but not a passenger car, minivan or...bike.
the process involves a fee to the Consejo Nacional de Zonas Francas and have to be approved in a Board monthly session.

ONE marketing Team
g_h_yon@hotmail.com