Question about process

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hello everyone. I've first done a search of the board and comments to find what I want. I can't find it anywhere.

I need to know the process for a woman married to a Dominican for her to get her cedula. What paperwork does she need? Where does she take it? etc.....

If this is posted elsewhere just steer me to it please? We already know she qualifies we just need the process.

Thanks

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
hope this helps

I'm assuming that cedulas are only issued to Dominican citizens. I could be mistaken, but if this is correct, here is what the website of the DR law firm Russin, Vecchi and Heredia Bonetti says about becoming a citizen:

"Q: Who qualifies for citizenship?

A: In order to qualify for naturalization, the following conditions must be met:

Continuous residency for at least two years in the Dominican Republic;
Continuous residency for at least six months in the Dominican Republic, or either having established a business or being involved in the current operation of a business in the Dominican Republic, or owning real estate in the Dominican Republic;
Continuous residency for at least six months in the Dominican Republic and marriage to a Dominican at the time the application for naturalization is submitted;
An authorization from the Executive Power to establish domicile in the country, and within three months after obtaining said authorization, owning a piece of land under cultivation of at least 30 hectares in size;
Continuous residency in the country for six months and having performed technical or special services for the Armed Forces.
An authorization from the Executive Power to establish domicile in the country and to maintain said domicile for a period not less than six months.
Absence from the country due to a trip abroad for a period of less than one year and made with the intention of returning to the Dominican Republic will not be considered as breaking the continuity of residency in the country.

The spouse of an applicant for naturalization need not fulfill the residency requirements for naturalization if the applications are made jointly and the spouse is in the country at the time the applications are submitted. Children over eighteen years of age may obtain Dominican citizenship after one year of residency, if the application is made jointly with that of the mother. Unmarried children under eighteen years of age, if legitimate or recognized by the father, receive Dominican citizenship automatically upon the naturalization of the father. In this case, the child has the right to renounce his or her Dominican nationality within a year of reaching legal age (18 years of age)."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nelly, I have a cedula and I'm not a citizen. Legal residents are also issued cedulas.

Planner, the Junta Central Electoral issues cedulas. Foreigners must get them from the office for foreigners in Santo Domingo. Citizens of the DR may get them from one of a number of offices set up around the country. If you go to this page and click on the link "centos de cedulacion", you will see which one is closest to you. That would be the first place to check. They'd tell you whether or not you could get your cedula from them or if you would have to go to Santo Domingo. http://www.jce.do/

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I stand corrected.

Thank you Ken. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my post. The reason for my error is because my husband's Cedula de Identidad y Electoral was issued by the Junta Central Electoral, so I assumed it is mostly for voting purposes, and I also assumed only citizens could vote. Now I realize it is a more all purpose type card similar to our SIN card in Canada.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I can't vote. On the back of the cedula issued to non-citizens it says in big letters, NO VOTO

It is a personal identity card most of the time, but citizens must present their cedula in order to vote.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hey you guys, you didn't answer the question! She qualifies to get her cedula by marriage: What is the actual process to get the cedula?

Thanks again.....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HI Anna, she doesn't need a residencia. I am told it is a totally different process to get a cedula due to marriage to a Dominican male. I'm having a heck of a time confirming it.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The wife of a Dominican has the right to become a Dominican citizen by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 1 of Law 1683 of 1948. The husband should file a petition at the Ministry of Interior with the following documents:

1) Certified copy of the marriage certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral. If the certificate is in a foreign language, it should be translated into Spanish by a official translator in the DR.

2) Certified copies of the birth certificates of the spouses.

3) 3 pictures, 2 x 2, of the wife.

4) Photocopy of the husband?s C?dula.

5) Photocopy of the wife?s Passport.

6) Stamps, gov?t fees, etc.

An interview of the couple will take place after the documents are reviewed.

The couple should be married for at least six months before submitting the application.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hello Fabio, Thank you so much for your reply! It is very clear and easy to follow. Should my friend need a lawyer, do you handle this type of work?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Like many processes you can do it yourself if you have the time, but a good lawyer just makes life so much easier and smooths out all the unexpected bumps. Plus they have usually done this many times before so know the process inside out.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Is it a requirement for the wife to be living in the DR in order to recieve her cedula? Would this also qualify her for a passport?

Maruka

Feb 3, 2004
Depends....

Nelly said:
Is it a requirement for the wife to be living in the DR in order to recieve her cedula? Would this also qualify her for a passport?

In order to receive your cedula, you must be physically present because first of all, they have to take a picture of you at the moment the card is made, it is part of the process and secondly because when it comes time to give it to you, they will not give it to anyone other than the person it belongs to for obvious security reasons. I got mine a couple of years back because I am married to a Dominican but now want to get my citizenship in order to not have to bother renewing my resindcy staus every so often (resident and citizen cedulas are different colors) So if you get a cedula with a residency, I would say that you have to live here ( they take your passport and review it to see the length of your stays and to verify the information) but if you acquire citizenship, and then want a cedula, you don\t necessarily have to live here but obviously have to be physically present in order to receive it.

Maruka

Feb 3, 2004
MrMike said:
Fabio, does the same apply to husbands of Dominican women?

This law applies to spouses of Dominican citizens be they male or female. I am no lawyer but a husband is considered a spouse here. Dunno but it only makes sense.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I asked because Dominican laws are in Spanish, and in Spanish a word like "spouse" is gender specific.

Also in many countries the law treats men and women differently with regard to immigration status based on marriage.