Honeymoon in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcelesti

Jun 10, 2004
I am getting married on July 17th (37 days!) and me and my fiancee are going to DR for our honeymoon. I don't know anything about DR but a lot of people I know have been expressing concerns to us because of the recent floods in DR and Haiti and it is kind of putting a damper on my excitement. We are going to Costambar in Puerto Plata to a small resort. Does anyone know whether the floods have really devestated this area or will it pretty much be okay when we get there? Has anyone been to DR since the floods? Is it still a good place to go considering the country is recovering from a huge natural disaster? My fiancee and I do not want to do much but lay around on beaches and chill so I think it should fine but I'm just double checking. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Only if something that happens in Arizona will mess up your day

The Jiman? area is hundreds of kilometers from Coastambar. There are no signs of anything but greenery and tropical lushness.

Not to worry.

You should have a wonderful time.

HB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Dont worry JC, some of the reports suggested the whole country was a disaster which wasnt the case at all. HB is right you will be a long way away and will have a lovely time here, good luck with your wedding. :D

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Ladybird said:
Dont worry JC, some of the reports suggested the whole country was a disaster which wasnt the case at all. HB is right you will be a long way away and will have a lovely time here, good luck with your wedding. :D

We had all kinds of voice mails and email messages from well meaning friends when we returned home 5/30 from Puerto Plata. The only information we heard about the floods and assiocated deaths was from CNN Headline News and NBC in N.Y.
John

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There WERE floods in Costamber two or three weeks ago but nothing that would have affected the area YOU will be staying in. The river on the other side of the hill will rise in heavy rains (& yes, those rains WERE heavy), the river rose & some huses in the bario on the other side of the hill, got flooded out. Our maid lives in one of these & she reported damage to furniture as a result.

The ONLY flooding that occurs on YOUR side of Costamber, takes place in Blackbeards every Tuesday night when the Ex-Pats get together for a DARTS (arrows I think Americans call them) evening. MANY a Presidente gets downed that night & this can increase drastically the fluid situation of that Bar/hotel!!!! If you want to meet some DR1'ers, make that a date!!

The beach is excellent, generally quiet & superb for 'Chilling out' Enjoy & come back see us again AFTER the honeymoon too. - Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.