Manufacturing in the DR

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
This is just one of those general questions that really dont matter. Just a puzzle that is going over in my mind.
Does the DR have any DOmestic Manufacturing of appliances refidgerators and washing machines and so forth.
I looked on the internet and found CIgars and clothing. I know there are some Diesel plants in the free zones but I don't see anything else I could find. Seems to me the economy could support a small scale plant. Kerosene refers are pre 1950 engineering.
In Tiawan people assemble computer circuit boards in the back porches in the open air.
Is there nothing in the DR that is even close to being self supportive or is every thing that makes life above stone age imported?
John

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Dominicans are rapidly learning how to make inverters, there are also many who know how to make voltage regulators. There was a automobile plant here some time ago but it went broke, I think it was a hairbrained startup that may have been a good idea but was smothered by DR red tape.

My guess is that the economies of scale necessary to support high tech gizmo manufacturing do not exist here, also it is hard to build microprocessors in a country where you never know how long the electricity or running water will last. Also it would mean Dominicans trying to do something with a steep learning curve and break into an already very competetive market.

As long as the chinese are willing to work for 10 cents a day they are going to be making most of the electronics Dominicans buy.

But I believe all of the countries that are major electronic manufacturers now started in textiles and moved up as organisations and infrastructure improved. So the DR is heading that way, but it will be a few decades yet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They used to make refrigerators here

but like the cars, government bullsh!t and taxes forced them to close. There are still thousands of NEDOCA fridges chugging away. The one we gave away last week was over 25 years old.
Also lightbulbs, batteries (Ray-o-Vac),. Still make furniture, rebar, aluminum stuff, housings for fuse boxes and other electrical installations, shoes, leathers, some plastics (bottles, ball point pens). Don't know what more.
Jewelry-gold and silver.

HB

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
transcontanental railroad

When the trasncontenental railroad was being built the steel that was used was domestic even though the English Steel was going to be cheaper. The president said even the the cost would be more, the money would stay in america and circulate around and make up the difference.
Even if the politcos make no money off of the manufacture of domestic products the jobs they create make more of a tax base for the Elpresidente sales.
John

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well the DR is certainly not suffering from any lack of overpriced contracts going to local companies, if THAT was a solution the DR would have to be one giant upper middle class suburb by now.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
From what I have experienced in trying to get two businesses up and running in this country, the Government is by far the biggest hinderence so far!
It's almost as if the government DOESN'T want any new businesses that might compete with the long established ones, or else they don't want anyone around that might upset the monopolistic business community.
I really can't figure it out!
It's almost as if there is an unwritten law that prevents a startup company from doing any sort of business outside of the "Free Zones", which I interpret as being for Export Items ONLY! Nothing for sale IN-COUNTRY.
Am I right???
It certainly appears that way to me. Course I've been wrong before.

Texas Bill
Edited to correct typos

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
What Kind of Bosiness are they preventing?

My family abd I are planning to start a Business ther, to hand over to the next generation.