What are resort workers tested for?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Splitting is too much work so I'm starting a new thread to ask the question

What are resort workers tested for and how often? I wouldn't want anyone reading this board to think it's ok to have unprotected sex just because they read that blood tests are given to resort workers until we know what the tests given are for.

Toby wrote:
I am willing to guess the test for employment are as follows:
TB (blood test and lung exray)
Hepatitis A, B, C (blood test)
Hemaglobin (blood test) checking for irregularities.(White and red cell count)
These would require one or two small vials of blood. If a food preparer or food server a TB test would counter the spread of this particular disease.
These tests are standard practice for hygiene in the food /hotel industry.(anywhere).(Also standard tests for immigration purposes.)

An HIV test, or testing for sexually transmitted diseases would require several blood tests each requiring its own test vial for accuracy. These tests would range for the detection of diseases like climidia, syphilis, genital herpes,gonorrhea, Hep C, detection of anal worts to name but a few. I find it hard to believe the resorts are screening for these as in accurate testing an interview for a history of sexual practices plus a doctor's consult/exam usually would go along with the tests. The resorts are not going to get involved in this type of business and if they did the DR would be the MECCA for sex tourism on this planet.I assure you to safe guard yourself from STD's you are the one responsible, you are the only one who is in control!. Play and stay safe. Use birth control/ condoms and common sense to stay safe.
Toby

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I'm no doctor but I've heard that some of the nastier std's (like HIV) can remain dormant, i.e. undetectable but transmittable for long periods without showing up in blood tests.

I wonder if this kind of testing is any security at all?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mike we are just guessing here but even if someone has HIV that would not affect their job unless their job is having sex with the hotel guest and I doubt the hotel cares about that since they would be fired if they found out.

Where's CC????

I don't want this to be a discussion on Aids and HIV ok. We've done that.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
MrMike said:
I'm no doctor but I've heard that some of the nastier std's (like HIV) can remain dormant, i.e. undetectable but transmittable for long periods without showing up in blood tests.

I wonder if this kind of testing is any security at all?

It's definitely not security. People should take the same precautions they would when sleeping with someone in their home country (i.e. use condoms). However, it's an extra little peace of mind if you know someone's tests are clear (even if everything might now show up right away). I think it's always a good idea to have your partner and yourself tested before engaging in any long-term relationship.

Just my 2 cents!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
However, it's an extra little peace of mind if you know someone's tests are clear.

Just my 2 cents!

Cleared for what is the whole point of this thread. The test result you read was no doubt in Spanish. So did it list all the things the test was for?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you are so paranoid about STD's then its best not to engage in any sexual behavior.
Lets see: condoms can break and then you are exposed to everything. Condoms break quite often. There is no defense for Genital warts (HPV), condoms or without. There aren't even any easy tests for the virus except visual exam. You can have HPV (the kind that causes genital warts) and show no symptoms and tests will show you negative. You can still get them from a person who is totally symptom free. Herpes works the same way. If you are symptom free but you can still carry the virus. There is no simple test to detect genital herpes. If you subject yourself to herpes test then it will show as positive for herpes simplex 1 (sore on the lip, cold sore), then there is another more detailed test to see if you have the virus for the genital type; again, no one goes into such details when you perform STD tests. Not all labs are equiped to perform such tests (not even in USA).
many folks use condoms during sex but many don't use them for oral pleasures. You are exposing yourself to many diseases.
The point it, even if you perform all the tests in the world, many diseases will be left undetected. Even if you use condoms, you can still get a variety of diseases. There is no 100% safe method.
The only measures you can take to reduce your chances of getting a STD is to stay away from people who engage in sexual activities with multiple partners. This includes: all resort workers who are in contact with tourists on personal basis. These hotel servents always are looking for new victims and thats why you ladies always seem to find the perfect dominican guy to fall in love with. You are not special, they are there for anyone who is looking for action. You were there and he picked you up, like he does everyday of the week.
stay away from prostitutes and street cheap girls and tigres. They can give you diseases that you haven't even heard of yet.
I say, stay away from all the dominican guys you girls seem to fall in love with. I have yet to see a foreign girl with a decent classy dominican. All are street thugs, low life scums. I have never seen any of my dominican friends in santiago even speak to a single resort worker (excluding the management of higher level).
Please folks, stop fooling yourselves with those cheap STD tests and take real precautions or go all the way and take your chances. You can be exposed to certain diseases yet they will not appear on the tests if performed right away after exposure.
If you want to stay STD free, stay away from low level poor dominicans from tourist towns.
AZB

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
The point is, even if you perform all the tests in the world, many diseases will be left undetected. Even if you use condoms, you can still get a variety of diseases. There is no 100% safe method.

Even with a seatbelt, I can die in an automobile accident. Its still a lot better to have one on and reduce your chances than to not.

Just my .02!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Cleared for what is the whole point of this thread. The test result you read was no doubt in Spanish. So did it list all the things the test was for?

The test results were in both English and Spanish. Everything tested for was listed as were the results for each. They used standard abbreviations that are also used here in Canada. I know this because I took the results to my doctor to verify if it covered everything she would recommend people get tested for here. I know it all sounds a little paranoid that I did this but I would do this here in Canada too if I was in a long-term relationship with someone and I think more people should do it. I have the form at home and tonight I will post exactly what is was they were testing for at the resort where this person worked.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
I worked in a resort here in Bavaro, and because the hotel was brand new and they needed to test a lot of staff at the same time they bought a doctor and nurses to the hotel.

Before I went along at my alloted time I asked my immediate manager what they were testing for. She was Spanish and didn?t know either. Together we asked Humand Resources who could or would not tell us.

We went along as instructed, and a couple of weeks later I asked my manager if she had found out about the results of the blood test because I wanted a copy.

To cut a very long story short, I never found out what the tests were for, never knew what the results were and the only thing I got from anyone at the hotel was "don?t worry if there was something wrong you would know by now". Not very satisfactory and in my opinion not the way to do things.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
to be honest

The test were for Aids and if that pregnancy for female, If not permited to work sick of pregna at hotels.

Sharron said:
I worked in a resort here in Bavaro, and because the hotel was brand new and they needed to test a lot of staff at the same time they bought a doctor and nurses to the hotel.

Before I went along at my alloted time I asked my immediate manager what they were testing for. She was Spanish and didn?t know either. Together we asked Humand Resources who could or would not tell us.

We went along as instructed, and a couple of weeks later I asked my manager if she had found out about the results of the blood test because I wanted a copy.

To cut a very long story short, I never found out what the tests were for, never knew what the results were and the only thing I got from anyone at the hotel was "don?t worry if there was something wrong you would know by now". Not very satisfactory and in my opinion not the way to do things.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
May I ask you Homer the following questions
When you were tested?
Where you required to have a follow up test after your first test at anytime during your year at your resort job?
Did you have a physical examination and a consultation with the physician about the proscribed tests?
Where you aware of people who lost thier job opportunity due to the results of the blood tests?

I can hazard a guess that the resorts complie to the minimum requirements of public health saftey and do testing prior to employment but unless the employee becomes severely ill during thier term will not be otherwise tested.
I can also assure you that if the DR's hotel industry had a strict STD testing policy and tested the employee's every three months the country would be the star preformer for public health awareness and the WHO (World Health Organization) would be breaking the bank trying to model other countries like the DR, and the news would be filled with results of countless health studies on the superlative testing sites for STD's in the DR.
If sex tourism is the goal of your trip to the DR, you are the only one who is responsible for your health and well being. You will be the one in the long run to be held accountable for your actions, and should you become ill you will be the one responsible for your health issues. Play and stay safe, use birth control/condoms and consult your family physician as he will become and is your best friend should there be a problem.
Toby

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Dear AZB, As a frequent poster to this board and a member of the medical community in the DR, your first hand knowledge would be of great value to those looking for information on blood testing and STD's in general. Could it be possibly for you to list the available information you may have on STD testing and sites that you are aware of in your area and the level of testing that goes on in the DR. What are the costs involved and how sophisticated is the testing levels.
I gleen from your recent post that you see the difficulties in the testing system and apply the theory of abstinance when travelling in the DR, but the reality is that sex is a common place occurance/action(to put it lightly) and the testing process is a stop gap measure. Education is the key and hopefully those who work in the public health field will still continue to fight for the funding dollars to educate people on health, catching and changing peoples behaviour before problems arise.
Your knowledge as a health professional is valued and we look forward to any information you can provide in this regard.
Toby

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
Mike we are just guessing here but even if someone has HIV that would not affect their job unless their job is having sex with the hotel guest and I doubt the hotel cares about that since they would be fired if they found out.

Where's CC????

Anna, certain diseases that are transmitted by blood or air would keep a worker away from daily contact. What if one of the resort workers cut themselves or coughed on you? I'm not talking colds and flu... hep C is an example of one. Even nurses here are double gloved when dealing with certain diseases.

My 2 cents...

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
I'm confused?

Anna Coniglio said:

Where's CC????

Hotel workers would be fired, if they have sex with guests???

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
stormer said:
Hotel workers would be fired, if they have sex with guests???

What are you confused about? Most hotels & AI have a policy that workers do not enter the guest's room and openly have sex with the guests. Most people that are married to resort workers or engaged to them will stay in another hotel rather than where their lovers work. Now whether they sneak them in is another story.

But this discussion isn't about that.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Medical Tests

When I came to this country some years ago I also had to renew my PPL and went for a medical.
The doctor and I chatted for some time and when I thought
that he would now start the examinations he handed me the certificate...
Since then it is my firm belief that one can buy ANY medical or other certificate in this country without even being present.
This thread ought to be closed because it's not related to the Dominican Republic but some other planet.

m' frog

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i dont get this thread either. If you are going to by Playing around with people NO MATTER WHERE you vacation ...or where you live....You should just play SAFE!!!! It is called common sence! I live in NYC and the HIV, HEP C, and Syphilis rates are very high.....yet i have remained STD for 40 years. (ok..one case of crabs) and im in a high risk group and quite active. but i play safe!

I really dont see why there would be any need for hotel to test their workers for any std. Here that would be a drastic violation of one's civil rights. Bottom line is....if u gonna F around with a stranger on your vacation...your health and protection from STD's is YOUR responsibility!

jj