business questions

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I have a question about the factories that make clothing in the DR. Bear with me as I am relatively unschooled in the subject. Is it possible to import apparel items from a factory such as this? I passed several of these on the way to Luperon and I've also noticed a Made in the DR label on some of my clothing.

I am also exploring the option of having my products made in Maine, recycling a factory that shut down. (I plan on luring skilled workers from the plant that makes chemical warfare suits...after we stop needing them.)

Can anyone give me more information?

thanks.
MG

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MaineGirl said:
I have a question about the factories that make clothing in the DR. Bear with me as I am relatively unschooled in the subject. Is it possible to import apparel items from a factory such as this? I passed several of these on the way to Luperon and I've also noticed a Made in the DR label on some of my clothing.

I am also exploring the option of having my products made in Maine, recycling a factory that shut down. (I plan on luring skilled workers from the plant that makes chemical warfare suits...after we stop needing them.)

Can anyone give me more information?

thanks.
MG

The way I understand the business works, is that (now bear with me, I'm looking for words) - well, the namebrand owners set up a manufacturing facility in the DR, then, all their raw materials are imported, they cut, make and trim here, pack and send back to the US or wherever to sell. The selling operation usually is in the US/Europe, not in the DR - so, I do not know of a manufacturing facility here where you can walk in and buy.

The products are usally made to order, for a specific buyer, according to a specific design, with sales outlets in the US/Europe or where-ever.

I think what you are looking for, could be what we used to call a 'cut, make and trim' workshop. You decide what you want, design it, buy the fabric, have the patterns cut and so on, buy all the trim (buttons and other stuff), and give it to the workshop to stitch up, pack and export to you...

It may be that the manufacturing facilities that you saw are partly made-to-order and partly 'cut, make and trim workshops'.

This is my understanding, no doubt someone else will probably come along and give us another point of view.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
What about getting a contract from a company outside of DR for someone who has a small factory in DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, you can import the products made here, that is

the reason behind the Free Zones and the CBI (Caribbean Basin Initiative).

Like Chris says, most of the manufacturers here have jobbing contracts with major US brands, like Levi Straus or Liz Claibourne(sp?).

If you want, you can certainly finde a place to do your work for you. You can supply everything, including the patterns and they will put it together for you. One of my sons is currently doing a little of this for a small lingerie manufacturer, www.stockingirl.com

Actually, your idea of doing it in Maine is a very good idea, but if your products are price sensitive, you will probably end up doing them here. A lot depends on how bottom line conscious you have to be.

HB