Cogentrix Operations Manager Shot Dead

Apr 26, 2002
Cogentrix General Manager Shot Dead

Looks like a "hit" was carried out on Cogentrix' American general manager today.

For those unaware, power generator Cogentrix has said that it is owed zillions of dollars by the DR government. President Hippo says that the money has already been paid. Hippo also refuses to allow an audit.

And this a day after the hit on key PLD man Federico Nina. Get the feeling you're watching the final scene of The Godfather?

This could be very messy for the Hippo and the PPH. Could they be this brazen and stupid? The FBI and State Department will take this VERY SERIOUSLY. They'll be all over it like flies on sheet.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
What do you want to bet that the FBI and State get "stonewalled" on ANY investigation they try to conduct???

This will be blamed on some poor little old motoconcho driver who has been driven crazy by being denied "his right to 'free' electricity" and has made retribution on the "chief culprit" of the problem.
Of course, we all know who is ACTUALLY to blame, don't we???

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Toneloc,

This was not a "random" street crime. There is a lot of heavy political sheet relating to Cogentrix and the current DR government.

DMT

Nov 4, 2002
He was the Operations Manager not a General Manager who has been in the DR for nearly 4 years, and 7 of the last 8 years of his life. He had nothing to do with the money owed to Cogentrix.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
DMT said:
He was the Operations Manager not a General Manager who has been in the DR for nearly 4 years, and 7 of the last 8 years of his life. He had nothing to do with the money owed to Cogentrix.

Whether he did, or didn't, have anything to do with the financial end of Congentrix, it will be interesting to see what sort of "spin" Hippo's people put on the murder of a high ranking employee if an organization in controversy.

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Periodico Hoy confirms that he was operations manager. Still, one has to think that this crime was designed to send a message.

This is a tragedy. Based on what DMT wrote, I'm sure the victim was a lot like other Americans who post to this board. He loved the DR.

Last edited:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Toneloc,

This was not a "random" street crime. There is a lot of heavy political sheet relating to Cogentrix and the current DR government.

Thx. I figured as much. There is a very similar recent case in Brasil with which I am familiar, involving the killing of a Shell Oil executive.

Definitely not random "street" crime, but still kinda brazen. Sounds like it happened in broad daylight.

I guess the other odd thing to me is that normally with the political issues there, the violence appears to be restricted amongst Dominicans. This sounds like a foreigner was targeted. I'm sure this is not common, because of the repercussions to follow.

Apr 26, 2002
toneloc24 said:
I guess the other odd thing to me is that normally with the political issues there, the violence appears to be restricted amongst Dominicans. This sounds like a foreigner was targeted. I'm sure this is not common, because of the repercussions to follow.
Indeed. I can't think of an occurance like this here since the era of Trujillo.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Somebody say something

I only cought part of the local news and didn't see anything about it. I read the AP report, but it hasn't made the grade of CNN yet.

Anybody here anything else about this?

Just happens that the lights when out while I was reading the post.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Hippos spin

I'm waiting for the offical government account of events to unfold. It will probably be that the American tried to run down the motoconchos so they took defensive action.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Let's wait and see what the investigations show up. El Caribe reports today that the police detained a former wife of the assasined man. The police chief of the region says one can not rule out a personal problem being the cause of the murder. He told the newspaper that they have the previous case of a jealous woman injuring another woman with whom supposedly the American lived. The newspaper says the deceased engineer had a daughter with a San Pedro woman, from whom he had separated.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hey guys, relax!
I just talked to the technical consultant of another power plant who used to be one of the best friends of Hiserote and he said, that this was very likely the result of personal problem related to jealous women.
This was confirmed by aonther friend of mine who is a well reputated lawyer in San Pedro.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Dolores said:
Let's wait and see what the investigations show up. El Caribe reports today that the police detained a former wife of the assasined man. The police chief of the region says one can not rule out a personal problem being the cause of the murder. He told the newspaper that they have the previous case of a jealous woman injuring another woman with whom supposedly the American lived. The newspaper says the deceased engineer had a daughter with a San Pedro woman, from whom he had separated.

An Interesting question though Dolores, was the shoot out the previous day in the same vacinity, connected in any way? Did the motoconchoistas make a mistake the previous day & shoot the wrong guy? What were the similarities in the cars (SUV's) that got shot at?? - Grahame.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
BushBaby said:
An Interesting question though Dolores, was the shoot out the previous day in the same vacinity, connected in any way? Did the motoconchoistas make a mistake the previous day & shoot the wrong guy? What were the similarities in the cars (SUV's) that got shot at?? - Grahame.
Very unlikely. The PLD politician that was killed had been the victim of another assasination attempt back in January. Apparently the guy was a walking bull's eye.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
BTW, the above post was by Pib, Bok forgot to log off. Sharing a computer sucks. We need another computer or husband has to give up on DR1.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
geometry . . .

mido said:
Hey guys, relax!
I just talked to the technical consultant of another power plant who used to be one of the best friends of Hiserote and he said, that this was very likely the result of personal problem related to jealous women. . .

Occasionally some expat is murdered while visiting or living on la isla and the event generates big press coverage. As the story unfolds and the details are uncovered most usually/some times the principle reason for committing the homicide has something to do with one of the main elements of geometry; it has something to do with triangles. . .

<font size=1>CES</font>
:alien:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Jealous wife admits ordering murder.

See http://www.elnacional.com.do/(cr10gu551bmmob550gzzqdre)/aspx/article.aspx?id=9957