Can I get a tourist card in Ottawa?

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Although this is my 26th trip to DR it may be the first regular scheduled flight (all others were charters) when I asked about a tourist card Air Canada says "buy it when you get to the airport in Punta Cana for $10 US" but I have always been supplied one by the tour company with my tickets. If I recall there was some discussion here about getting it after arrival in the DR and the suggestion was that trying that could become a hasle. Any comments would be useful.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If it is available at the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa you will spend more time making it over there to purchase it then you will do purchasing it at the airport. Remember your luggage has to make it off the plane,too. So there is no rush.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Thanks Gregg, I figured that I would be able to do that but they are not open on the weekends so I knew someone here could conform it.
Gerry

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Dolores, I thought that I had heard it was a huge hassel to do it that way?
(upon arrival)
Gerry

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I wouldn't describe it as a "huge hassle." Just another line, and like I explain, you will have to wait for your luggage to deplane anyway. In other words, if you make it fast past migration, you still have to wait in the customs lounge for your luggage. So, what's the rush. Come and relax.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
An Interesting Experience Though

Dolores said:
If it is available at the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa you will spend more time making it over there to purchase it then you will do purchasing it at the airport. Remember your luggage has to make it off the plane,too. So there is no rush.

I bought a couple once at the DR consulate in NYC and I got shown around by the consul general himself who was otherwise sitting around. Lots of forms and receipts for a $10 purchase though. So Ottawa might be a trip, but totally unnecessary. Since most arrivals at PUJ will be charters WITH tourist cards, she may be in a short line up of one.

As for the hassle or waiting for luggage etc., exaclty, have the Brugal and coke and kill some time. Tip: If going back buy two or three. I always have at least one more than my current trip itinerary.