Bringing Electronics - Customs Questions

Yini

Apr 16, 2004
I would like to utilize the two flights I have planned to move to the DR to bring down a small, used TV; small stereo set; old microwave; and a few other electronics for the household. I cannot seem to find what customs might say or charge me or "the rules". Any tips, please??? Packing tips? YINI

Yini

Apr 16, 2004
JDJones said:
Yini,
I have brought in both new and used appliances on different occasions. Each time, I was charged duty based on a "list" that customs has for different items. It does not depend on what you paid for the item, they charge the set rate for each thing. You can never find out what the official rate is until your appliances get here. By then, it's too late.
For example, I bought a DVD player in WalMart a couple of months ago for 39 dollars. The tax here was almost a hundred dollars. At the airport, there is a hugh room full of stereos, DVD players, and other items that people have had to abandon there because they were unable to pay the taxes.

Each time I brought something in, it was more expensive with the local taxes than if I had bought it here in the first place.
My suggestion is that you sell whatever you have, and buy it all new here.

THANKS! I WAS LOOKING FOR ADVICE. ANY MORE??

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Buy your electronics here. It is much easier. The aduana inspectors get really happy if they see someone trying to bring in electronics - they have not read the formal "import duties" list and make it up as they go.

Then again, if you have a good contact at aduana, and can hand over $20 with a smile to the right person, you can walk through without anyone touching your luggage.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Yini said:

Yini, do I detect a certain amount of sacasm in your CAPITALS response??? I think you will find what JD said to be excellent information & therefore advice!!

Customs (Aduana) are a law unto themselves here & due to the fact that many of them will be out of a job on August 16th when the new administration comes in, they are greedily expanding their "Pension Plans" at the moment by looking for backhanders so they don't search cases! Heed well what JD & Chris have said!! - Grahame.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yini said:

Here's some advice: heed the advice you are given.

A total waste of time, hassle and money to bring second hand TV and microwave ovens to the DR when they cost about the same as the USA and you won't have to deal with customs who I am certain, will value these assets at many times their value and you may pay more than they cost to buy new.

And the risk of them getting busted or stolen en route.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Laptop

Should I expect to have any trouble with my laptop, vonage phone, etc when I come down for a visit in July/August? I do plan to bring them home before I move down in the Fall. I wouldn't think I'd have much different from quite a few tourists. I'll hopefully be coming into POP, or if not then STI.

Yini

Apr 16, 2004
BushBaby said:
Yini, do I detect a certain amount of sacasm in your CAPITALS response??? I think you will find what JD said to be excellent information & therefore advice!!

Customs (Aduana) are a law unto themselves here & due to the fact that many of them will be out of a job on August 16th when the new administration comes in, they are greedily expanding their "Pension Plans" at the moment by looking for backhanders so they don't search cases! Heed well what JD & Chris have said!! - Grahame.

I am sorry for the way the CAPS looked. I just was in a hurry. Now I know protocol in speaking. Lo siento :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thebes said:
Should I expect to have any trouble with my laptop, vonage phone, etc when I come down for a visit in July/August? I do plan to bring them home before I move down in the Fall. I wouldn't think I'd have much different from quite a few tourists. I'll hopefully be coming into POP, or if not then STI.

Never had a problem with a laptop through POP, but if you can, stick the Phone into the laptop case. I don't think they've ever checked my laptop case on coming in.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah anything you carry with you won't get too much attention, it's boxed electronics and shipped packages that get them greedy.

I brought my 5 guitars down 1 by 1 on various visits to the states.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
This is what I did!!

I took a dvd/vcr combination for my g/f's new apartment and this is what did since I knew that my uncle was off that day and was not at his airport's job. I greeted the guy with a handshake and a smile. Made him believe that he was my good friend. He told me that he needed to open my luggage since it showed a vcr on the x-rays machine. I still gave him a big smile and told him that it was a gift. I told him i was going to put some money on the luggage's corner so he could just grab it and that I would remember him and I would tip him every time I traveled. He spoke to the guy that is looking at the x-ray machine and told him: "this guy is a nice guy, let's give him a break". He not only let me go, he also left the money that I had left on the side of the luggage, shook my hand and padded me on the back. Yini, just be extra friendly with them. You may have a big problem since you are taking more than just one item. They will eat you alive. I think that they still have a boombox that they took from my friend about 10 years ago. He had bought it for US$30 and they wanted to charge him the equivalent of US$75. Go figure. Good luck.

Last edited: