Cigarettes

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yes

MotorCity Mike said:
Can anyone tell me if "Newport" cigarettes are sold in the DR?

:smoke:

MCM

In some cigar shops there are "real" American cigarettes for more that you'd pay duty free (in MIA or JFK etc.) so bring them with you from there.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
ricktoronto said:
In some cigar shops there are "real" American cigarettes for more that you'd pay duty free (in MIA or JFK etc.) so bring them with you from there.

The duty free store will be closed when we leave the U.S. Is there a duty free store in POP that I could buy cigarettes when we arrive?

MCM's wife

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My understanding is one can only buy duty free when leaving a country, not when entering. I personally have not seen "Newport" in the supermarkets.
The tourist shopping mall in Playa Dorada might be worth checking, but the prices on imported cigarettes are much higher than the local ones. Try Marlboro, they're really not that bad & cost 314 pesos for a carton of 200 in supermarkets.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Mike, I smoke Salem lights and always take my brand to the DR with me. I ran out on Sat. and tried several different brands. The best tasting brand that I could find was Marlboro menthol @ 30RDP per pack.

I have never seen Newport?s sold in the DR.

Charlie

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
If you're coming to SD, they sell them at Plaza Central. A bit expensive and not too fresh but at least they sell them.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Motorcity Mike, at what time does your flight leaves?

We do sell Newport cigarettes in our Duty Free stores in POP. Also, you might also want to check Centro de convenciones at Plata Dorada in Puerto Plata. In Santo Domingo, you can check the cigar store of el Hotel Jaragua .

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Sanson said:
Motorcity Mike, at what time does your flight leaves?

We do sell Newport cigarettes in our Duty Free stores in POP. Also, you might also want to check Centro de convenciones at Plata Dorada in Puerto Plata. In Santo Domingo, you can check the cigar store of el Hotel Jaragua .

Our flight leaves the US at 6AM and arrives in POP at 10AM. My wife is going to sample Marlboro Menthol here and if theiy are ok, buy them in the DR.

After our trip, we are both going to try to quit smoking!! Michigan just imposed an additional tax of .75 cents per pack. Another good reason to quit!!!

Thanks for your responses!!!

MCM

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
MotorCity Mike said:
Our flight leaves the US at 6AM and arrives in POP at 10AM. My wife is going to sample Marlboro Menthol here and if theiy are ok, buy them in the DR.

After our trip, we are both going to try to quit smoking!! Michigan just imposed an additional tax of .75 cents per pack. Another good reason to quit!!!

Thanks for your responses!!!

MCM

are complainong on a .75 cent tax when her in NYC we pay 7.25 for a pack (a pack) of Newports. And no i dont think you could get them just anywhere in DR I was just there two weeks ago and couldnt find any. I smoke Marlboro Lights from over there but they were not to my liking. Maybe you could change your flight to a time whe duty free is open. LOL

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Mike, my brother was looking for newports when he was there with me. He found a place in Cabarete that sold them. I believe it was a supermarket and was on the right as you drive through Cabarete in the direction of Nagua and towards the end of the strip of stores.
Larry

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
lizzyjl80 said:
are complainong on a .75 cent tax when her in NYC we pay 7.25 for a pack (a pack) of Newports. And no i dont think you could get them just anywhere in DR I was just there two weeks ago and couldnt find any. I smoke Marlboro Lights from over there but they were not to my liking. Maybe you could change your flight to a time whe duty free is open. LOL

Dear lizzyjl70, Newports and other non Dominican produced cigarettes are really expensive in the Dominican market due to taxes and tariffs. You don`t imagine the amount of what you paid goes to the Government.