First timer.......

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
Hi everyone!!!

This is my first time taking a trip to DR and I'm pretty excited!! I'm sure I will be asking a whole bunch of questions - so please be patient with me :)

First questions I have is, which city/island is the better? I see there is Punta Cana, La Romana and Puerta Plata. I was looking at hotels in Punta Cana but wanted to ask which areas have the best beaches?? We love to snorkel and collect shells so can anyone recommend which city is better for those kind of things?

I thought I read somewhere that Puerta Plata's beaches are a little rocky.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :cool:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Welcome to DR1!
I have been to Punta Cana and the beaches are beautiful abosolutly amazing!
I have also been to Puerta Plata where the beaches aren't the same as Punta Cana but still nice beaches and there is a lot more to do. Plus many different places to visit such as Sosua, Cabarete etc. It depends on the type of trip your looking for. I wanted to get out of the resort and explore and Puerta Plata had many places to see and lost to do! You can snorkel as well in both Punta Cana and Puerta Plata.

Have fun !!! :)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I travelled here 13 times as a tourist and then moved here. I love most of this country. I prefer the north coast, we have beautiful beaches but also soooooo much more to do then Punta Cana. Check out the internet, do some searches, find what you like to do and then book into an area. Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata as an area are unbeatable in my opinion!!!

When are you planning to come? What do you like to do? Feel free to Private Message me and I can help you out more......

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I concur, North Coast is the better place to be. Much more to do. Unless you want to be in a man made environment all the time where everything you do is with a group and timed:) You can be in an all inclusive anywhere in the world and not know what country you are even in. Just my 1 peso.

Sosua and Cabarete have great beaches. Puerto Plata has horrible ones.

Scott