Transportation...

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
Since this will be our first time, what does everyone do for transportation around the city? Say you just want to go shopping or to a restaurant, are Taxis the best route? Does anyone rent a car or is there a public bus system?

What's the best way to get around?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
By "city" do you mean Santo Domingo? If so, as a short time visitor take a taxi. If "city" means some other place, tell us what it is so we can advise you.

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
I guess what I mean is that we are going to be staying at a hotel in either Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. I just need to know how to get around those areas. Like from the hotel to shopping or restaurants, etc.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Vegas M said:
I guess what I mean is that we are going to be staying at a hotel in either Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. I just need to know how to get around those areas. Like from the hotel to shopping or restaurants, etc.
A taxi would be your best bet in any city in the DR. Unless you are adventurous and want to try the conchos.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
If you are in Puerto Plata then just basically stand at the side of the road for a lift. Jump in a car, guagua or on someones bike (if you dare) for the cheapest prices. Taxi rates outside hotels can be quite a lot higher.

I have just been in Playa Dorada. For example - the hotel taxi guys offer you a taxi into Puerto Plata for anything up to 750 RD ($15) but we simply walked outside to the main road and got all four of us in one car for 100 RD ($2).

In some instances its best for you to tell them a price rather than let them tell you how much they want, some of them really try it on. Agree your price and exact destination before jumping in to avoid any issues.

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
OK, you're making me nervous.....what do you mean stand on the side of the road and wait for a "car"??

What kind of car? Is it some other sort of transportation?? Is similar to a Taxi?? I KNOW you can't mean stand on the side of the road and wait for just anyone to pick me up :lick:

Please explain this method!!!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
:laugh: Vegas M don't be alramed by the whole thing of standing on the road for a taxi. You'll see other people waiting on the road. I did it when I was there and I had no problem, you just tell them where you want to go and they will drop you off. I don't know what to call them but they are like unofficial taxi's ? basicaly they have no taxi sign on top of the car but serve just the same as a taxi but much cheaper as tired_boy mentioned. They will drop people off wherever they are going. When you get a taxi from your hotel it can be very expensive. I took a few and then decided to go up the street and decided not to take a taxi from the hotel again. So dont' worry and get out there and enjoy the country, it's a beautiful place with great people! Just be careful like you would be in any country but nothing to worry about. I had so much fun being of the resort can't wait to go back again to explore some new areas in the DR!! :cool:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Vegas M said:
I KNOW you can't mean stand on the side of the road and wait for just anyone to pick me up :lick:

Please explain this method!!!![/B]

This is exactly how it works - and most of the people here in the DR do it every day... Sounds really strange but this is it...

Does anyone have a good handle on the different kinds of transportations - the ones with their destination on the top of the car, the one's that just cruise around, the mini-busses, the taxis and don't forget the motoconchos...

I know I stand there till someone stops to pick me up - usually for short distances in POP or Sosua...- I negotiate price - and get to where I want to be...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Well,

in POP there are:

Tourist Taxis at your hotel $$$$$

Local Taxis (but no pick up in Playa Dorada) $$$$

Carro Publicos (6 + Driver) $$$

Guaguas (Mini-buses up to 20 plus driver & collector) $$

and

Motoconchos (but watch out for Dominican tattoos) $

In descending cost.

I especially like the guaguas - they're a hoot.

Gregg

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
You guys crack me up (I can tell I'm going to love this place already)!!!!

Ok, so how do I know when I stand on the side of the road that the "unofficial" taxi is picking me up? Do these cars have some sort of signs on them that distinguish them from the rest of the cars? How will I know?

And what about those "Guaguas" as mentioned in the last post? How do I catch one of those? How will I know it when I see it? Do all of these rides go anywhere you want to go??

Sorry for all the questions guys, but this is all a little foreign to me. I'm used to going to Cancun where there are local buses I can take for 6 pesos and they run every second and you can spot them anywhere. So this is a little unusual for me :confused: .

I appreciate you help :cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Vegas M said:
Ok, so how do I know when I stand on the side of the road that the "unofficial" taxi is picking me up? Do these cars have some sort of signs on them that distinguish them from the rest of the cars? How will I know?

And what about those "Guaguas" as mentioned in the last post? How do I catch one of those? How will I know it when I see it? Do all of these rides go anywhere you want to go??

Well, it is really easy - the more people in the car or bus, the less the cost, the longer the ride... fewer people, more cost, shorter ride - excepting for the motoconchos - they are the cheapest, quickest and most dangerous.

Just watch what the other people do - you won't be alone waiting for transportation.

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
So if there are 7 different people in the same car and wanting to go to different destinations....it's OK? Not everyone has to be going to the same spot....right?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Vegas M said:
So if there are 7 different people in the same car and wanting to go to different destinations....it's OK? Not everyone has to be going to the same spot....right?

Usually they have an assigned route that they drive. You just tell them where on the route you want to get out. That goes for the guaguas and publicos. The guaguas won't have a sign on them. Usually there will be some guy hanging out the door yelling the final destination ie Puerto Plata. Once you are on, they will stop and let you out when you ask them. Just stand on the side of any major street and you will see them.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Just curious, why would you want to ride in a car with a bunch of strangers? Do these taxis even have air? I wonder. How long are you staying in the DR? If it's a matter of a few weeks, why not just try to coordinate your trips into the city with other people where you're staying and share the expense. It w/b cheaper and more comfortable for you as you don't have to walk to the side of the road in that heat, etc. I usually have a car when visiting the DR, but if I didn't that's how I'd do it. to each their own I guess.

Vegas M said:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Forbeca said:
Just curious, why would you want to ride in a car with a bunch of strangers? Do these taxis even have air? I wonder. How long are you staying in the DR? If it's a matter of a few weeks, why not just try to coordinate your trips into the city with other people and share the expense. It w/b cheaper and more comfortable for you as you don't have to walk to the side of the road in that heat, etc. I usually have a car when visiting the DR, but if I didn't that's how I'd do it. to each their own I guess.

That's why I recommend the taxi's. Air conditioned, inexpensiveand more comfortable. The guaguas are only if you want a true, authentic experience. I enjoy them for the pure insanity of the experience. But that's me.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I guess it's a man thing, huh? I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those local guaguas. I like the metro though, I like to be comfortable. ;)

stewart said:
That's why I recommend the taxi's. Air conditioned, inexpensiveand more comfortable. The guaguas are only if you want a true, authentic experience. I enjoy them for the pure insanity of the experience. But that's me.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Only 19

FireGuy said:
My trip wouldn't be complete without my guagua ride (just for me and my new eighteen Dominican friends!!)

Gregg

I have been on one from Santiago to SFM, one of the smaller mini-van ones, where we had 22. One guy did the trip syanding up and hunched over to fit.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
POP area

Hi Vegas. I can't speak for Punta Cana as I have never been there but in the POP area, when standing on the side of the road you will easily be able to figure out what is what. You just stand on the side of the road for the direction you want to go in. You will recognize the public taxi's because they will have cabarete - POP or Sosua - POP or some sort of sign on top saying where they will take you. They will drop you off at any location along the way but do not normally venture off their normal path. When you get out and still need to go somewhere down a side street, etc., just grab a motoconcho to take you the rest of the way.

The guaguas are little minivans (they usually look like a VW type van) with tons of people crammed in and a guy hanging out the door who takes your money and helps pack in the people. They are lots of fun but DO NOT keep any large amounts of money in your pockets as I once got pick-pocketed (only 400 pesos but still)!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Forbeca said:
I guess it's a man thing, huh? I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those local guaguas. I like the metro though, I like to be comfortable. ;)

When I was there for the 2 years as a missionary, we had no choice. We couldn't afford anything else. Now when I go back, it has become nostalgic to me. Though it is uncomfortable, the public trasportation there is very efficient and cheap. You can literally get from the darkest corner of any barrio in Dajabon to any street corner in SD without putting on foot in front of the other. And for pocket change.