Samana Questions, Whales, Lodging etc

Georgian

Jun 24, 2004
Hi Folks,

I just recently discovered this very helpful forum.

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Dominican Republic next February and have some questions that I hope you will help answer.

This will be my first trip to DR. Beaches are great of course, but my particular outdoor interests are whales, birds and natural history in general. The Samana region seems best for whales and I hear that Kim Beddell is the best trip operator. Can anyone suggest environmentally friendly individuals or groups in that area to take me to some local birding hot spots [mangrove areas, forests]?

I definitely do want to savour the local culture, meet people and visit local communities as well.

Is there accomodation in the Samana area that you might recommend. Somewhere 'natural' would be great, with trees, gardens etc. I am early 50's, male, and will be travelling alone. Night life [ dance clubs and loud bars] is not my style but somewhere to have a drink and meet the local folks would be perfect. My Spanish is very limited but I will do my best with signs and a phrase book.....

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry in Toronto

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You already have a good recommendation for whale watching there. Other nature/environment related interests can be pursued through

CEBSE (Centre for conservation and eco-development of Samana Bay)
tel 538 2042
e-mail cebse@internet.verizon.net.do
www.samana.org.do

CEBSE have a book on the birds of Samana in Spanish only. Their centre which includes a small museum is on the seafront avenue in Samana town.

There is also an ornithological society in Santo Domingo (Sociedad Ornitologica de la Hispaniola) who have a book in Spanish and English:

'Common Birds of the Dominican Republic' by Steven C. Latta.

For the sort of accomodation you describe I think you would like Las Galeras, which is 24 kms from the main town but has many small B&B type places in a rural or beachfront setting. Samana itself can be quite noisy at night so Las Galeras which is a small village is a better choice. I don't know what transport you will have at your disposal but Samana town and Las Galeras are well connected by public transport. You could try Casa Loto, a B&B next to a larger hotel called Villa Serena or Las Mariposas which is a couple of kms inland.

Do a search on the forums here and you will find more information.

Chiri

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suggest you get in touch with Kim Beddall and ask her for help and info. She is a naturalist and very interested in more than the whales. If there are activities and places that meet your specs, she will direct you to them. http://www.whalesamana.com/

Normally Cebse would be a good source, but they have had financial problems lately. Hopefully when the new government takes over they will get more support.

Georgian

Jun 24, 2004
Thanks for the quick replies

Chiri and Ken,

Thanks for your most helpful information.

Jerry

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
We were told late Feb was the best time to see the whales so that was when we booked it for hope there right lol. W e will be returning to Las Teranas there was tons of places to stay. All were smaller mostly 45-48 units not loud and kept very well .PLAYA CALIBRI HOTEL. We found them on the weband after emailing found they were so helpfull thats were we will return to. Yes i know it's a drive to the bay. Keep searching the whole area looked very nice no megga hotels and the like have pics from the plane you can hardly see the hotels through the palm trees.