Are there any marinas in Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddhadread

Jun 22, 2004
I would like to sail into Puerto Plata. Is there a place to dock, which is secure, and provides electricity? 37' Beneteau , 8ft draft
:pirate:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The north coast is basically for cruisers who anchor out during their time here. I understand that there is a marina under construction in Luperon, but I don't know its status. In any case, both Luperon and Samana are preferred to Puerto Plata by cruisers.

Buddhadread

Jun 22, 2004
reefs

Ken said:
The north coast is basically for cruisers who anchor out during their time here. I understand that there is a marina under construction in Luperon, but I don't know its status. In any case, both Luperon and Samana are preferred to Puerto Plata by cruisers.

Ken, do you why they prefer these areas? Is it the reefline around POP?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
There is a marina under construction

at Ocean World in Cofresi but it won't be finished until some time next year. They were dredging in April and I think I recall is is to have space for about 200.

Gregg

Buddhadread

Jun 22, 2004
FireGuy said:
at Ocean World in Cofresi but it won't be finished until some time next year. They were dredging in April and I think I recall is is to have space for about 200.

Gregg

Thanks gregg, I followed the Ocean world threads and saw the write up about it. That is exactly what is needed for my interests, looks like it will be expensive by Dominican standards though.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Buddhadread said:
Ken, do you why they prefer these areas? Is it the reefline around POP?

POP harbor is a commercial harbor. Water dirty, big ship activity, no security for small boats. Samana and Luperon aren't commercial harbors.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I think

Buddhadread said:
That is exactly what is needed for my interests, looks like it will be expensive by Dominican standards though.

you can count on Ocean World expecting about 0% of their marina income from Dominican sources. (How's that for having a firm grasp of the obvious.) Even one or two would be a bonus, methinks.

Gregg

Buddhadread

Jun 22, 2004
FireGuy said:
you can count on Ocean World expecting about 0% of their marina income from Dominican sources. (How's that for having a firm grasp of the obvious.) Even one or two would be a bonus, methinks.

Gregg

I think i will stick to the landlubber plan. Rent for a while then get the house, rather than sail, live aboard and then get the house.

Which you think DR1.ers?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Buddhadread said:
I would like to sail into Puerto Plata. Is there a place to dock, which is secure, and provides electricity? 37' Beneteau , 8ft draft

Like Ken says, Luperon or Samana. POP is not a good place for yachties to hang out at present. Besides the dirty water, the big boats have no mercy on us little guys. There really is no infrastructure for yachts.

One thing though, maybe Ken can help - as far as I remember an 8ft draft will not get you very far into Luperon either? Do you remember the Luperon harbor depth Ken?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Buddhadread said:

hey, good news you can dock in the puerto plata marina, there is a fee for all the stuff like docking electricity and security

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Buddhadread said:
I think i will stick to the landlubber plan. Rent for a while then get the house, rather than sail, live aboard and then get the house.

Which you think DR1.ers?

I would vote for the sailing, living aboard (maybe in Luperon) and then get the house. But then again, I like sailing and boats and those kinds of things. Where are you sailing from?

Status
Not open for further replies.