An open letter to Mr. Wales (long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dear Mr. Wales,
It seems to me that you started out in a reasonable fashion on this Board & then it deteriorated into nitpicking, being unnecessarily critical of others, being unable to admit when you are wrong & culminating in an attack on HB.
You may be a perfectly nice person in the flesh & this may all be an act - we have had others do it. The difference is, they are established here in the DR. You, as yet, are not.
Please take this as kindly advice. If the pattern you display in your postings & itemised above, is replicated when you arrive here, I fear you are not in for a happy time. It does not matter about us gringos, but I am thinking about your cultural adjustment to Dominicans. You will doubtless need interaction with Dominicans to work your land, clean your house etc. etc. They are markedly unimpressed if we gringos think we know it all. They tend to react in ways that show us we DON'T know it all.
My assumption is HB had tried to offer you help & your reactions have meant he has responded in uncharacteristically strong language. For you to have the effrontery, nay, crass stupidity to attack HB AND keep on doing so, does not bode well for future cultural adjustments. Every long standing poster (plus many of the newer ones) will rush to HB's defence. Why? Because he is helpful, affable, highly respected & generous in spirit & with his home. No doubt you have others helping you. Are you going to elicit the same responses from them also?
I doubt if your friends in the Saudi Royal Family will be able to help you here. Unless, of course, you are coming in as Saudi Ambassador, but then I didn't think your background was in diplomacy?
Please do a little self-examination before you get here. We can't all be right, all the time & it is OK to admit one is wrong. Even I do it once in a while :knockedou !! If you are going to be supercritical of others, try using charm & humour. Otherwise, you'll be heading for the "banned" list, unless of course, you're Rob's father :knockedou . (He isn't, is he, Rob?)
There will be no requirement of you to correct my spelling or typos. By the way, I'm also a beginner on these computer things & I thought I'd let you know the "edit" button will save you having to correct your errors on a new post. I only found it recently.
I hope you will not respond with defensiveness or aggression. In fact I am posting this after I think you may be asleep so as to obviate your need to manically dash in & comment. Think first & then respond, if you wish.
I understand you are British & proud of it. I am also British. We have had some very pleasant new Brits move to the DR recently. There has also been some, shall we say "white trash". You are much too intelligent & well educated to fall into that category - please don't let your personality & impetuousness push you into it.
Yours very sincerely,
Marjorie Proops (aka Lambada)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Please

She is right. I go off the deep end often in this forum but I have the greatest respect for all of the members here. Many of the folks on this board know more about the DR than most of us will learn in a life time. The ones who I have met, including Robert, are some of the best people you will find any where in the world.

We are all here to help each other and to learn as much as we can about the DR, its people, its culture, and so much more. Please be a contributor.

Charlie

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's end this thread here. Unfortunately I can see a storm in the distance, so it's time to change course.

The message board has a way of sifting the good and the bad and ultimately anyone being an idiot will not last very long.

And no, he's not my dad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.