Importing a vehicle from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPresidente

Oct 14, 2003
home.indy.rr.com
We will be moving to Sosua in the near future and I would like to take my 1998 Ford Ranger. I have found what appears to be a reasonably priced company in the US for shipping to the port Rio Haina. However, as I understand from previous DR1 postings I would be best off to contact a Customs Clearance Company to handle all import issues into the DR and delivery of the vehicle to Sosua (at a fixed price). I would appreciate information as to recommended companies, what I can expect in the way of service, price, etc.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you read the archives then you know that the usual response to questions regading importing cars is to sell them before you move and buy another car here.

tradexguy

Jun 29, 2004
By all means you need to use a Customs clearance agent, but try to have all calculations done BEFORE you bring the car. Customs is a very corrupt department and even if you have everything in order, they can look for ways to suck money out of you.

Also, agree to a price for the services with the Customs agency prior to shipping the vehicle... it would be nice to use an agency with experience in vehicle clearance. Sometimes, a agency might tell you about many problems they encountered for taking the car out, and that they had to bribe a lot of people, so they ask you to refund that cost, and you have no way of proving whether it is true or not...

It's risky and the car probably will cost as much as buying one here. Unless you have a friend or a relative who is a customs agency, be carefull with them.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anyone that attempts to import a car here "right now" without exceptional contacts in customs or at the port has rocks in their head.

This is retirement fund time, many of these people will loose their jobs over the coming months due to the change in government and they will be looking at you to support them financially.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
importing cars

Robert said:
Anyone that attempts to import a car here "right now" without exceptional contacts in customs or at the port has rocks in their head.

This is retirement fund time, many of these people will loose their jobs over the coming months due to the change in government and they will be looking at you to support them financially.

I am bringing my car there but it is only one year old. I think you cannot take a car over 5 years old. Do I have contacts? Yes. I do not care if they LOSE their jobs and get let LOOSE brcause of a change in Government. I have arranged door to door with one of the largest shipping Companies in the World. If it does not arrive, insurance pays. I think it is really important not to try and do these things on the cheap. Like if you want fresh hay this is the price. If you don't mind if it has been through the horse once, this is what you get.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Please post your story when the car arrives and is delivered to you. If you are pleased with the service and the cost.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Car Import

POP Bad Boy said:
....to hear from Wales!
What you have to do is to make absolutely sure that !!!!! No there are enougjh naysers on this board - go look at investing - what are people trying to do? Deflate the value of what they have, until no - one wants to live there. That is OK as long as they do it in the next two years, after that i may not be interesyed in buying, I am not placing an advertisement but if anyone really wants to go back to ?????? I have the money - Of course along with my CELL MATES ASK HILLBILLY.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Kar Kapers at Kustoms

I hope Wales brings lots of money AND vasoline when he gets his car.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Car import

Dolores said:
Please post your story when the car arrives and is delivered to you. If you are pleased with the service and the cost.

I will.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Car Import

I also beleive that one of the guidlines for importation is that you must have owned the car in your own personal name for minimum of 2 years PLUS the car must be under 5 years old.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
That rule...

.....of two years in your own name is for Dominicans that want to bring a car AND GET A BREAK ON THE TAX......I BELIEVE.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
One suggestion from a former Crowley Shipping employee: If you can, get you car shipped in a container. Otherwise, there's the risk that your car will arrive with a few more scratches, minus a mirror or light, minus the radio, etc. and that happens after the car is taken off the boat. It costs a bit more but since it's load on - load off, more companies offer that kind of service than roll on - roll off (for vehicles). (that is of course, if the vehicle fits in the container! ;)

Good luck!!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Car import

KateP said:
One suggestion from a former Crowley Shipping employee: If you can, get you car shipped in a container. Otherwise, there's the risk that your car will arrive with a few more scratches, minus a mirror or light, minus the radio, etc. and that happens after the car is taken off the boat. It costs a bit more but since it's load on - load off, more companies offer that kind of service than roll on - roll off (for vehicles). (that is of course, if the vehicle fits in the container! ;)

Good luck!!

Good advice. Mine is coming by container.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What we have here is a case of someone,"Whales",.....

who has never lived in the DR,(I believe)trying to tell those of us who have lived and worked here for many years,how smart he is about "Things" in the DR!!!!!!
He knows more about importing a car,and customs that we do! We are all "Naysayers"!
Great,have it your own way! I love to be an,"I Told You So!!"
There are still people bringing in "TVs" on the airplane!!
By December,there will be pleanty of really nice "SUVs",("Yepetas" in the DR!)
for sale,as the "Hipolito" crowd will be selling their's because the government is no longer making their monthly payment!
I would estimate 15 to 20, or more posts a year on DR1 about bringing in vehicles/household goods.People "claiming" that they can bring "this or that" in duty free,or at a certain rate.That is NOT the reality here.It does not matter what you have been told,here or there!Be prepared to pay!
I was responsible for coordinating the importation of a complete hospital full of equipment,a government hospital,everything "supposedly" duty free! It never happens!I handed out 1000 peso notes like free tickets to a "Fernandito Villalona" concert!(Back when a 1000 pesos was real money!!
SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,in the DR,more than most countries,"Bullschit walks,and Money TALKS!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Too true

Couldn't agree with you more. As I was telling a friend the other day, even millionary debts can be erased if you have $$ and contacts... laws can be broken left and right or can be created when some "jefe" can benefit from it. Also agree on purchasing a vehicle down here. It's really the simplest and cheapest thing to do and god knows the DR has examples of practically every model available on the market. I hadn't seen a Jag or so many SUV's until I got here! Now I see them everyday in the streets...

In a nutshell, if you'll be importing something personal or of high value, expect all sort of obstacles along the way. It's one thing to get it dropped of at the port, it's another to get it out of it with you wallet, goods and pacience intact.

Sorry to sound so negative but that's the reality in "este paisito" and with the economic situation like it is, I can just imagine things in customs must be worse than 4 years ago...

Good luck to all!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
KateP said:

Good luck!!

This is the way my family has transported 5 cars already. The best and chepest. they send a whole container full of furniture and clothes along with the car.

The law thing is so true. there is no such thing as insurance or what the contract says in DR, they dont believe in any of that. You also cannot stand at anyone's counter and yell to see someone's supervisor, you just wont get anywhere if you have an attitude and do not feel that you should pay anyone for their service. You will pay and you will have to get over it if you want what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.