Small Restaurant Questions...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am poking around at the idea of opening a small restaurant in Santiago and I have a few questions. I have little biz experience and so could benefit from a clear understanding of how it works...

1. If I find a small commercial space to house my restaurant...how possible, here, would it be to have the lease contract give me 10 years with the option of ending the lease at any time during the first three years. That is just an example. Please explain lease options. In other words...if my biz fails it will probably fail during the first three years and I would want to be able to easily exit the lease. On the other hand if it is successful...I would want an assurance that the owner will not snatch the property out from under me or decide to triple the rent after a couple years. Also, if I spend money up front to decorate the place and then the owner decides to take the space back, I would lose.

2. I would want to buy USED ovens, stoves, and other big ticket kitchenware items. Anyone know of a good source in the DR.

3. Some food items may need to be imported. How easy is it to import food items for your restaurant. Any details would be appreciated.

4. I notice in Santiago there are restaurants that charge you 20something% sales tax and then there are others that charge no tax at all. It seems to be the rule that if you sit down and are waited on at the table...you are charged the 20%. If your name is called and you get up and go get your order...no tax is charged. Any rules on taxes would be nice and where would I get tax documentation from the gov.

5. What type licenses are required.

6. Am I going to get honest pricing from food item suppliers in the D.R. or is it your experience that I will need do some serious haggling with them...which I really hate to do.

7. Friends in the DR have told me that Dominicans really don't appreciate food prepared carefully, clean, fresh, and hot. They just want to fill their stomachs. They don't like to wait for well-prepared food. So, is my idea of offering well-prepared and hot food which would take a little longer to serve...really a bad idea.

8. Along those same lines Dominicans don't have a discerning pallete. A pizza is a pizza and the bigger and more for their money the better. But taste is not so important. Please explain this to me.

9. If I hire some young girl to handle the register...cash...am I alway going to need to look over her shoulder or have a camera installed. What has been your experience in your business here.

That is good to start. I know I sound paranoid and to not have much confidence in the people here....it just is that my experience here has proven to me that one must be very very careful.

Thanks for all your replies.

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Snuffy said:
7. Friends in the DR have told me that Dominicans really don't appreciate food prepared carefully, clean, fresh, and hot. They just want to fill their stomachs. They don't like to wait for well-prepared food. So, is my idea of offering well-prepared and hot food which would take a little longer to serve...really a bad idea.

8. Along those same lines Dominicans don't have a discerning pallete. A pizza is a pizza and the bigger and more for their money the better. But taste is not so important. Please explain this to me.

Ok, I can only comment about this. It all depends on your target market, if your target is the poor and low class Dominican, you are right they want as much as they can for their money, and want to fill their stomachs.

But if your target is midle - upper class, then you have to care about the quality of the food, I'm Dominican (midle class), and I always like my food prepared carefully, clean, fresh and hot otherwise I won't go to a place that don't serve it like that, and I think I have good taste. And my friends are like me, also if you're targetting this market, then you have to look carefully for a nice location.

Those are my 2 cents.

Johy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Johy

None of the really good restaurants in Santiago have what can be called "fast" service.

A lawyer can take care of your leasing issues.

Suppliers can and will screw you if at all possible, just like in the States.

There is a market for used restaurant equipment but you have to be here, read the Classified in the List?n Diario every day and have the cash on hand.

Your competition in Santiago will be the following
Top ranked ones
Pez Dorado
El Caf?
Maroma
Cosa Nostra
Mezza Luna
Rancho Luna Steak House
Camp David

Second tier ones
Mr Cook
Nano's
La Parrilla
Il Pasticcio
Pasta House
All the ones around the Monumneto

All the rest

Anything I haven't mentioned here.

There are a couple of "secret places" that I have not put on this list because, no matter what, they have their clientelle and nothing or nobody will affect them.

Think long and hard on this step, please.

HB

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
Thank you HB for the list of restaurants to try in Santiago - have tried a few, like the one on the hill ... my question would be "why would anyone ever want to open a restaurant" - 24 hours a day work, very competitive, and you have to be nice to people ... sorry for venting ... just my 2 pesos

D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is something from today's classifieds

VENDO
Equipos de Cocina
De Restaurante de calidad
Como Nuevo
Tel XXX XXXX
Cel: XXX XXXX

This is what you have to be here to look for.

HB

bigD: I could not agree more. It is a rough life, no matter how you look at it.