Mosquitos

londoner

Jun 21, 2004
Hi everyone,

Im staying at the Coral Marina by Hilton in Costa Dorada July 5 for 2 weeks.

Ive found out loads of good advice from you all here and Im all set, but have one last question...

What are the Mosquitos like in the North during July? We're bringing usual stuff like replellent ..etc. Should I take any plug in's?

Has anyone who has stayed at this hotel had a problem with mosquitos??

appreciate any responses.

Matt

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
londoner said:
Hi everyone,

Ive found out loads of good advice from you all here and Im all set, but have one last question...

What are the Mosquitos like in the North during July? We're bringing usual stuff like replellent ..etc. Should I take any plug in's?

Matt

The problems will begin outside if you wear shorts.

londoner

Jun 21, 2004
Jimmydr said:
The problems will begin outside if you wear shorts.

LOL, I understand that much!

I was trying to get a scale or comparison of the amount of mosquitos in this part. There always Mosquitos on holiday's/vacations, but Ive never been to DR before.

Whether there sh*t loads of them, worse in certain area's, Whether this hotel attracts swarms fo them..etc.

On reflection its probably a stupid question Im asking, but if anyone could help it would be good.

Dec 9, 2002
I have just returned from 2 weeks on the north coast, and I got bitten quite a lot, but then I always do. I have tried every repellent on the market (as well as one or two which were given to me by a friend in the army) and nothing works for me. You may well get lucky and not get bitten - not everyone one does - I just tell everyone I get bitten because I taste nice :bunny:

Try to keep your arms and legs - including feet - covered at night, although for us Brits that is very difficult in a tropical climate, and use repellent.

I have heard that dabbing a little Brugal 151 on mossie bites helps to numb them, but personally I think that's just a waste of alcohol - I'd much rather drink it!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Dominican Babe said:
I have just returned from 2 weeks on the north coast, and I got bitten quite a lot, but then I always do. I have tried every repellent on the market (as well as one or two which were given to me by a friend in the army) and nothing works for me. You may well get lucky and not get bitten - not everyone one does - I just tell everyone I get bitten because I taste nice :bunny:

Try to keep your arms and legs - including feet - covered at night, although for us Brits that is very difficult in a tropical climate, and use repellent.

I have heard that dabbing a little Brugal 151 on mossie bites helps to numb them, but personally I think that's just a waste of alcohol - I'd much rather drink it!
The bugs love British food over American, it must be the fish and chips! :smoke:

londoner

Jun 21, 2004
Cheers

Nice one people.

I'll bear that in mind.

As for the spirits on the bites, damn right rather drink it!!! ha ha

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just avoid running around naked at dusk and dawn, that's when they are most active.

Most hotels will fumigate, but whatever they do, will not get all of them.

Just bring the usual repellents and enjoy your stay :)

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Never had any problemas!

londoner said:
Hi everyone,

Matt

I have not have any problems with the mosquitos. Althought the sand fleas are another problems. But someone who works on the beaches taught me a trick, when you come up form the beach, you ususally rinse off with the tap, (shower)before going to your room etc... Well I use to just stick my leg under the water and let the water rinse it off, but my friend told me, if you rub the sand off, it gets rid of those nasty little critters :mad: will get off, b/c I found out the letting the water run down your leg doesn't work! But other then that I've never had any problems with mosquitos, but the sand critters I have! I use After Bite, as long as it has a high amount of DEET, it will kill the sting and get rid of the itching.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
londoner said:
Hi everyone,

Take DEET (strong DEET) repellent and pay attention to the feet, ankles, legs and knees - the mosquitoes seem to be like cruise missles and fly at an altitude of 2 feet above the ground - I used to get bitten all the time on the lower extremities and always early a.m. or at night when it is cooler - since during the hot days they hide out as I think they would die from dehaydration.

And if you get bites use cortisone etc., or very hot water to kill the sting - a lot of scratching with the general hygiene situation there and you can get a nasty leg infection.

londoner

Jun 21, 2004
Robert said:
Just avoid running around naked at dusk and dawn, that's when they are most active.

And

baileyboy said:
I have not have any problems with the mosquitos. Althought the sand fleas are another problems.

Well I won't be waking up at dawn (Maybe coming in from the night!) and I'll keep the strip teases for the bedroom! ha ha.

Looks like its the whole sand fleas on the beach to watch out for!

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
Hey Londerner!
IVe found if you keep your Air Con. on in your room Mozi's tend to stay away, Pleanty of Insect repellant. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE TROPICAL ONE!!! Last year I took a European one and they tended to love me all the more!!! Do bring plug in's. They seem to bite more viciously than when holidaying in the Med! Have a great holiday.

Kim x x

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get OFF Deep Forest or

Start eating a lot of garlic.

If you are going out in the evening, wear long pants and socks. You won't see too many Dominicans walking around in shorts, either.

Good sun screen seems to keep them off on the Golf course.

Of course, air conditioning set on HIGH during the night so you can get all cuddley keeping warm...

HB

Note: If you are going to Mao or Montecristi on a side trip, don't worry about mosquitos, they don't bite.

They pick you up, carry you home and devour you at a nice, slow pace!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I laughed so hard my dogs came to see if I was ok.

the visuals on that post are Priceless :D:D:D:D:D:D

HB

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Try Autan as a repellent

I have used Autan, a German make I think, and the mosquitoes stay away although the oily funny smell is a bit bothersome; better than a bunch of bites. Oh, by the way, I am a repatriated Dominican so it may not work on
that pink and pale London skin, huh?!

Anyway, love your city, been there several times and hope to return some day. Good Luck!

ftkid

May 25, 2004
sugar

hi
i found the best thing is putting sugar down on the floor, for cochroaches and mosiquitos.
it doesnt kill them, just rots there teeth and stops them bitting you

londoner

Jun 21, 2004
Bites

Im not as pale as most as Im half Italian and can take a little bit of heat! ha ha.

I'll have it check Autan out, might get some when Im there..

It turned out we bought the normal mosquito stuff (European climates), but have now bought the tropical stuff - not sure of the difference, but we'll have to see Monday onwards!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can say another good word for Autan

It is a Bayer product and sells here. We use it on the little grandkids with pretty good results, considering that they go around in bathing suits all day and in and out of the water...Certainly worth giving it a try.

Have a good trip,

HB :D