The truth about DRSol site rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey guys,

I'm posting this here, because my post seems to keep mysteriously disappearing from DRSol.

DRSol is currently promoting that its rating is in the top 5000 sites on the web, according to alexa internet, a widely used ranking service. However that is misleading.

If DRSol was in the top 5000 sites, it would be delivering 1 million pageviews (not hits) per day. It could not possibly be running on a small virtual host. And obviously it is not approaching the size of a site like foxnews.com. It is definitely much smaller than DR1.

Alexa gauges internet usage by how many users have the alexa toolbar downloaded. So if 20 users have the toolbar, it assumes there is many more users actually using the site, eg 1 alexa user represents 100 real users.

DRSol has asked all users download the Alexa toolbar. So the site has gone from an alexa traffic ranking of 300,000 to approx 5,000. By comparison, DR1 is a steady 21,000 - a true rating, since DR1 has not asked users to download the toolbar.

DRSol is misleading its users and potential advertisers. And, now they are deleting my posts about this topic. The reality is that DRSol is approx 10% the size of DR1.

Please be aware of this practice on the part of DRsol. I have been very open to seeing a new discussion board. I think competition is good. However it has to be fair competition.

In light of this, and seeing my posts on this topic being deleted (twice now) I am going to refrain from posting on DRSol until this issue is properly addressed.

Maybe someone else cares to raise this topic on DRSol?

Adrian

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Alexa is about as useful as hits in determining the success of a site.
You should know that better than anyone Adrian, especially in your line of work.

Plus we all know what "hits" stands for... How Idiots Track Success :)

10% of DR1, give me a break! 10% of what? Page views, sessions, users, pages online?

Sorry, but I'm not about to allow anyone to piggy back on or success or leach our users and bandwidth by allowing a thread to continue about another site, good or bad.

If you want to discuss this further, please do it via email, PM or on another website.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.