Motorcycles

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I just read Tired_boy's thread and it is so sad to hear another life has been lost because of motor bikes.

I'm not sure how many people are bike lovers here, but I hate bikes and I feel they are the most unsafe mode of transportation. I hope people take heed and stay safe on the roads.

By the way, have any of you ever dared to ride one in DR? I think is so silly the Dominicans that live there think it is 'uncool' to wear a helmet!

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
People that have never driven a bike obviously will not understand why we ride.

That being said, you should always wear your gear. Not just a full face helmet but all your gear. Boots, leathers, gloves. The hot weather here has discouraged me from buying a bike here. But I know I will eventually buy one. I'll probably only drive it in the "cold" months.

For all those that think it is crazy to drive a bike in the DR, I learned to drive one in San Jose Costa Rica. No MSF safety course, no lessons period. We have pot holes over there that make the dr streets look good in comparison. That was 5 years ago. Never been down yet but I know it will happen some day. Just the law of averages. I want my gear on when it happens.

BTW- my bike was my only form of transportation for one year in CR. So for 8 months out of that year I was riding during the rainy season. It rains everyday, all day. And I still felt sorry for the people in cages.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Gringo is right...

Riding a motorcycle is better than sex (well almost). I just got back from an 800 mile trip on mine, thankfully no problems. I don't think I would ride one, or even a car in the DR. A local policeman was killed just the other day on his personal bike. Motorcycle accidents get more news around here, but a lot more people get killed in car accidents.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Extremely dangerous, especially here in the DR

Motorbikes have always been extremely dangerous and they are especially so in the chaotic world of the DR. I am sure that 50% of the hospitals in the DR are occupied by victims of motorbike accidents, without doubt.

I ride a scooter myself on weekends just for fun and always do so carefully and watching everything around me including my back. Hope luck stays with me since at 55 the bones don't heal too quickly.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I ride too....

And while wearing all the protective gear is really a "no-brainer"...sadly, some people do not. BUT....I think that one of the biggest reasons for motorcycle accidents is due to the people in cars that do not watch out for us! There is a deep respect between fellow riders - now, if we could just get that same respect from people in cars....it would go a long way to reduce the number of accidents!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I began looking at motorcycles in the "Sears" catalog when I was 8!

I wore that page out looking and reading it!
In 1964 they started renting Honda 50s in Toledo Ohio, :beard: and I rented one everyday!
When I lived in Thailand,I had a Honda 750/4.
When I moved back to Boston,I bought a BSA Rocket/lightning 650.
I wrecked them ALL! Some more than once!
The worst thing about dumping your bike is waiting to get the cast off so you can ride again!!
I would tell everyone to never buy,or ride on a motercycle! But if it's in your blood,you have to do it!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
An old rider once told me this, it is one of the most important things to keep in mind at all times:

Ride as if you are invisible.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
An old rider told me...

try to enter an intersection with a car on your right side (for multilane roads, of course).

I hope that before I pass on to the long ride in the sky, that I could take my motorcycle to the DR and just travel around for a couple months. Of course, the traffic etiquette would have to improve. Plus it would probably cost a fortune to get a bike into the country. I read an article about an Argentinian who rode around the world twice an his Gold Wing. It seems the DR would be a piece of cake after that.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
One thing that I have noticed down here is that the people riding the scooters and bikes are even more careless than the people driving the cars. I mean it is absolutely ridiculous. I was driving my Jeep one night and this guy on a scooter actually hit ME! Nothing is how it should be down in the DR, seems like the common sense genes are not common down here.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
moto's in the DR

LuvtheDR said:
And while wearing all the protective gear is really a "no-brainer"...sadly, some people do not. BUT....I think that one of the biggest reasons for motorcycle accidents is due to the people in cars that do not watch out for us! There is a deep respect between fellow riders - now, if we could just get that same respect from people in cars....it would go a long way to reduce the number of accidents!

The motor accidents here are usually caused by the riders, there is no way you can "guess" what they are going to do! This includes weaving through the traffic, to riding on the sidwalks,( I wonder how many people walking are hit by motor's). In the usa, canada, or europe you are probably correct on the respect or watching out for you, but it also helps in you follow the traffic rules and regulations. Which sadly a lot of motorcycle and bicycle riders DON'T. And in this country almost none.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
LuvtheDR said:

You guys may respect each other, but some bikers do not respect the cars. Bikes are outnumbered on the road and because they have the ease and are small enough to squeeze by, they take advantage of that. So bikers should be more defensive towards the 'cages' because if one hits the other the biker has the greatest loss.

My husband has been talking about getting one for years and I only pray that he never does... He almost did, the week after his best friend died in one.