Merengue IN danger?

Maniatico

Jun 30, 2004
www.cingularmiami.com
"Quote from dr1 homepage"Merengue in danger?
Is merengue no longer fashionable in the DR? While the Santo Domingo Merengue Festival is scheduled to take place from 15 July through 1 August, the Listin Diario reports today that merengue bands are fearful of the competition bachata and grass roots music groups are providing. They point to the fact that every day more radio stations, night clubs and discos are showing a preference for these alternate types of music. Economics could be at the heart of the problem: a bachata group costs RD$30,000-RD$50,000 for an evening presentation, while to hire a larger merengue orchestra RD$150,000 would be needed. Since the entertainment venues charge the same admission regardless of whether a bachata group or more expensive merengue band will perform, the presentation of the bachata group yields considerably more profits for the entertainment center.
Bachata has traditionally been an alternative music in the DR, but given today?s economics, it has become a veritable threat to the survival of merengue.
Listin Diario explains how merengue groups have survived with their tours abroad. The most popular groups at present are Los Hermanos Rosario, Sergio Vargas, Eddy Herrera, Rubby Perez, Toros Band, Fernando Villalona and Kinito Mendez, among others. Merengue music production and maintaining a large band is costly.

undefinedI read on some other webpage that promoters can have a bachatero and a merengue tipico band at the same time and it will be cheaper than paying a merenguero. Are the people wiling to dance bachata and tipico? Yes they are....BAchata and tipico are kicking some major a.. right now. In order for the merengue to stay on top we need more new guys like EL JEFFRY. Lets stop making culiquitaca songs and lets start making more el amor d mi vida type of songs. If not Lets leave Anthonsy Santos and Krisspy alone with the rest of the bachatero and merenguero tipico. Enough

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Maniatico said:
Bachata has traditionally been an alternative music in the DR, but given today?s economics, it has become a veritable threat to the survival of merengue.

The most popular groups at present are Los Hermanos Rosario, Sergio Vargas, Eddy Herrera, Rubby Perez, Toros Band, Fernando Villalona and Kinito Mendez, among others. Merengue music production and maintaining a large band is costly.

I read on some other webpage that promoters can have a bachatero and a merengue tipico band at the same time and it will be cheaper than paying a merenguero. Are the people wiling to dance bachata and tipico? Yes they are....BAchata and tipico are kicking some major a.. right now. In order for the merengue to stay on top we need more new guys like EL JEFFRY. Lets stop making culiquitaca songs and lets start making more el amor d mi vida type of songs. If not Lets leave Anthonsy Santos and Krisspy alone with the rest of the bachatero and merenguero tipico. Enough

You dont specify where your personal views start and when articles you quote finish. So my question to you is: How has bachata been 'alternative' music to Dominicans when it is native to the country and has been around for years now.

Also, the merengueros mentioned are classics, they are the top and have been the best from the beginning. Nothing can overtake quality music. These people will become our merengue legends - except for Kinito - where is he popular??

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Merengue songwriters needed

A lot has to do with good songwriting in my opinion. I read somewhere that the best songwriters are nowadays writing bachatas rather than merengues. When I discovered merengue in the mid 90's the top songs always had a good melody to them. Then came the merengue rappers (Ilegales, Sandy & Papo etc) and then the Tulile's, Mala Fe's and Banda Chula speed merengue generation which can be fun for 1 song but not for a whole album.
Good songwriting is what it's all about.

Bachata has modernized a lot. Ten years ago all songs lasted for 6-7 minutes or more, not really good for airplay. Instrumentation and production have improved. Nowadays you hear real 'commercial' guitar solos on most bachata albums. Ruben del Rio's recent 'La Loca' sounds wacko to modern ears with that strange guitar noise; listen to Raulin's breakthrough album 'Medicina de Amor' from 10 years ago: it sounded exactly like that in those days.

Maniatico said:
" Economics could be at the heart of the problem: a bachata group costs RD$30,000-RD$50,000 for an evening presentation, while to hire a larger merengue orchestra RD$150,000 would be needed.

Correct, a bachata/tipico band has no more than 7 artists, merengue orchestras have double or more.

Maniatico said:
"Listin Diario explains how merengue groups have survived with their tours abroad. The most popular groups at present are Los Hermanos Rosario, Sergio Vargas, Eddy Herrera, Rubby Perez, Toros Band, Fernando Villalona and Kinito Mendez,

These are indeed the classics together with a couple more like Banda Gorda and To?o who produce quality albums year after year, but most of them were there 10 years ago and unfortunately there are not a lot of new 'classics'.

Talldrink,
Kinito seems to be popular here in Belgium/Holland or otherwise he must have a good manager: he's been here 5 times already at the biggest european caribbean music festival. He used to be good but not anymore, I agree with you.
As for bachata being 'alternative' or 'native': the great divide between Santo Domingo and the rest of the DR keeps striking me. I have yet to come across the first young capitale?a who tells me her favourite music is bachata. Trendy places in SD haven't really accepted bachata for the full 100% I think, they somehow still think it's poor man's music.

Enjoy the music,
Bartolomeo

Maniatico

Jun 30, 2004
www.cingularmiami.com
Talldrink said:
You dont specify where your personal views start and when articles you quote finish. So my question to you is: How has bachata been 'alternative' music to Dominicans when it is native to the country and has been around for years now.

Also, the merengueros mentioned are classics, they are the top and have been the best from the beginning. Nothing can overtake quality music. These people will become our merengue legends - except for Kinito - where is he popular??

I quote that from DR1 homepage. My opinion was at the botton.
Well Bachata and tipico were left for low class people a few years ago. Those two genre are now almost the most popular in clubs, radio station and even on peoples cd players. All im saying is that Merengero like Tono Rosario should go back to his quiero volver a empesar album and stay on that margin. Lets call El safiro, benny sabel,Fernandito villalona back!
Once Merenguero start making good merengue like back in the days im pretty sure it will be popular like it once was.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Merengue will return to form

Has anyone ever thought that maybe the declining popularity of merengue is due to those same mediocre groups that attracted a certain crowd over the past 7-10 years but now even those groups have lost the market place. I firmly believe that merengue is not in danger but rather the low caliber or "junk merengue" is in danger and unfortunately when those groups were popular they were promoted accordingly and the classic merengue artists had to hold ground the best they could with diminishing promotion and a gradual change in public preference. Now that bachata is in the spotlight both types of merengue classic and "non-classic" are difficult to market. I still think classic merengue will make a come back because what I noticed with music is that people like to return to old productions if they are good. It doesn't matter how old it is and the older merengue was produced by classic DR bands. For those who still like classic merengue for listening and dancing surely will be hard pressed to find a truly good cd on the market today but the solution is to go back to the old stuff. For example the merengue era from 1990-1998 was tremendous and the music is not that old. I think the classic artists like Los Hnos Rosario, Los Toros Band, Rubby Perez, Jossie Esteban and Fernando V still have the ability to produce good merengue but if this genre is going make a come back at all artists like Tulile, Mala Fe, Fulanito & Co who took genre down in my opinion need to phase out completely. As well there is a definite need for new quality talent and not noise but that is a different issue all together because although the classic artists mentioned above are good they can't sing forever. Maybe the immediate future of merengue lies in the hands of the experienced groups but the long term future lies in hands of upcoming talent and there is definitely a problem there. I am a loyal fan of merengue but I like the classic artists. I will wait a year, two sometimes three for a new production by Rubby Perez, Jossie Esteban, Los Toros Band, Los Hnos R but at least when I buy it I know I will be good. Have faith merengue will return to form.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
Talldrink,
As for bachata being 'alternative' or 'native': the great divide between Santo Domingo and the rest of the DR keeps striking me. I have yet to come across the first young capitale?a who tells me her favourite music is bachata. Trendy places in SD haven't really accepted bachata for the full 100% I think, they somehow still think it's poor man's music.
Enjoy the music,
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo, I agree with you that there is a devide between SD and even Santiago when it comes to music. In fact, if you go to an upscale club in either city, you HAVE to like salsa and be able to compete with dance experts on the dance floor. You hardly ever hear a merengue or a bachata. They play mostly salsa and dance music (fast and electronic noise to me), they even throw in some reggae and now they are playing some perreo as well.

We can have the same ol' debate about bachata being for low class and you will find some uf will defend our favorite music till the end...