The $50,000 Question

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
For several months now I have toyed with the idea of starting, purchasing, or investing in a business in the DR. I have looked at several options and at this point have not seen any thing the peaks my interests. Possible some of you can give me some ideas to investigate.

Here is what I am looking for. For the $50,000USD investment I would like to have a total return on investment (ROI) within 3 to 5 years. At that point I would like to control at least 51% of the ongoing venture and have an income of $25,000 per year from its operation.

My $50,000USD is all risk capital and I realize that I could loose part or all of it. I am interested in a product or service in one these categories:

A product or service that appeals to the masses and can be afforded by the average working Dominican. Preferably a disposable product that is used only once, yet has a high demand.

Second would be a single large ticket item that would be a durable good and could be sold to the wealthy Dominicans or into the tourist trade.

I am not interested in real estate or banking.

Please do some brainstorming for me and let me know what you think. I am very serious about this venture and have a person in the DR that I can trust and act as a front.

Charlie

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A very good Condom.......Charlie

A product or service that appeals to the masses and can be afforded by the average working Dominican. Preferably a disposable product that is used only once, yet has a high demand.

Charlie[/QUOTE]

Charlie the Condoms they sell here in the Drug Stores are crap, Someone bringing in high grade Condoms is going to do well!

Just my two Trojans worth...

Gringo

JonX

Jul 1, 2004
Gringo said:

Charlie

Charlie the Condoms they sell here in the Drug Stores are crap, Someone bringing in high grade Condoms is going to do well!

Gringo[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe a new brand of pharmaceuticals?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Distraction!

Just an idea:
What "poor people" look for is distraction form their misery, right?

Maybe something that adds a streak of silver lining to the cloud if their life? A cheap product that suggests "luxury"? Example: cheap perfume in a fancy package, marketed in an up-beat way! (Is it called "up-beat"???)

Only problem with affordable products is that you need to sell a lot of them!

I read somewhere that it is easier to make a profit by selling expensive products at low volume rather than cheap products at high volume. Maybe I am wrong?

If I would start a business, selling consumer products, I think I would go for expensive products and find a niche for them. "This product is so exclusive, it is only produced in a limited quantity, each product dated, numbered and signed by myself to vouch for the quality. That is why I charge US$995 /each" Maybe something like that?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
JonX said:

Gringo

Why not a high-tec, US$50 condom, with a built-in microchip that uses blue tooth technology to trigger your stereo to play ZZ Top's "Burger man" when the going gets tough? Hm?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chuck,
As you know, looking good & smelling good are important to Dominicans, but customs would probably tax you on "smellies". Each time I travel from the DR I bring back "fake" perfumes & aftershaves to give as presents (yeah, I'm a cheapie!) or in case I need them for palm greasing & EVERY time they are just so popular. Mind you, you'd need a large turnover, although you could always franchise to the barrio Queen Bees.

JonX

Jul 1, 2004
Voyager said:
Why not a high-tec, US$50 condom, with a built-in microchip that uses blue tooth technology to trigger your stereo to play ZZ Top's "Burger man" when the going gets tough? Hm?

I didnt say what you quoted. I actually quoted that from a previous post. The way you think isnt that smart. Those choice of words makes you seem like you have never done any business before. POOR PEOPLE, MISERY. It would be funny if we can have this published in the newspaper right after you start the distribution of that CHEAP but expensive perfume! With a $USD50,000 budget, i dont think perfume is the way to go. Condom idea is good, with good advertising! There are other things that the average person would want. Think of whats in style.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Lambada said:
Chuck,
As you know, looking good & smelling good are important to Dominicans, but customs would probably tax you on "smellies". Each time I travel from the DR I bring back "fake" perfumes & aftershaves to give as presents (yeah, I'm a cheapie!) or in case I need them for palm greasing & EVERY time they are just so popular. Mind you, you'd need a large turnover, although you could always franchise to the barrio Queen Bees.

Not a bad idea. Could be manufactured in the DR avoiding import customs costs. There is a demand, it?s disposable. You could go up scale or market to the masses. Creating brand identification and brand loyalty could be a problem. In store demos and small samples could go a long way in creating demand Plant facility could start small and expand at a later date. No real expensive equipment involved. Packaging cost would be the biggest expense. 80% water based? (No need for bottled water here, boiling would do it)

Thanks, I like the idea; I know there are counterfeiters making money selling high end smell goods in the DR.

JonX

Jul 1, 2004
chuckuindy said:
Not a bad idea. Could be manufactured in the DR avoiding import customs costs. There is a demand, it’s disposable. You could go up scale or market to the masses. Creating brand identification and brand loyalty could be a problem. In store demos and small samples could go a long way in creating demand Plant facility could start small and expand at a later date. No real expensive equipment involved. Packaging cost would be the biggest expense. 80% water based? (No need for bottled water here, boiling would do it)

Thanks, I like the idea; I know there are counterfeiters making money selling high end smell goods in the DR.

Let us know your brand name when you get a chance.
This will need high advertisement. A lot of people rather have fake versace than a real unknown company that is just starting out. Prices would have to be competitive and advertisement topnotch! Maybe even make your own localle with the brand name would be a good idea.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The "fakes" I bring back cost me about $5 each. They are BIG bottles (amount being another important factor here) & the scents are really good - I use them myself for everyday use. But the packaging clearly denotes they are NOT the originals - Hugo is called Ugo, Boast is called Ghost etc so the companies involved don't get lawsuits. Speaking of which, why don't you get ET to join you in your venture (& I don't mean extra terrestrial........mind you, on second thoughts, maybe I do!!) :)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Keep it up

JonX said:
Let us know your brand name when you get a chance.
This will need high advertisement. A lot of people rather have fake versace than a real unknown company that is just starting out. Prices would have to be competitive and advertisement topnotch! Maybe even make your own localle with the brand name would be a good idea.

I am not so sure it would need a big ad campaign. Women on the street handing out small samples, with a $ value off of purchase. Remember we are talking cheap labor costs in the DR. Gear it for the real Dominican woman, ?specially formulated for your climate, your body, and your man?. ?Not for all women, but for all Dominican women.? ?Dark skin, but no more dark nights.? ?You will want to bathe in it, he will want to dip in it.?

I like this any more ideas?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Lambada said:
The "fakes" I bring back cost me about $5 each. They are BIG bottles (amount being another important factor here) & the scents are really good - I use them myself for everyday use. But the packaging clearly denotes they are NOT the originals - Hugo is called Ugo, Boast is called Ghost etc so the companies involved don't get lawsuits. Speaking of which, why don't you get ET to join you in your venture (& I don't mean extra terrestrial........mind you, on second thoughts, maybe I do!!) :)

I was thinking more of inviting Wales in as a silent partner.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Before I depart to my bed, I think the first one should be called "Olor de Poder" !! Goodnight Charlie :cheeky:
On second thoughts, that's Oloe de Impossibilidad"

Last edited:

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
You are absolutely right!

JonX said:
I didnt say what you quoted. I actually quoted that from a previous post. The way you think isnt that smart. Those choice of words makes you seem like you have never done any business before. POOR PEOPLE, MISERY. It would be funny if we can have this published in the newspaper right after you start the distribution of that CHEAP but expensive perfume! With a $USD50,000 budget, i dont think perfume is the way to go. Condom idea is good, with good advertising! There are other things that the average person would want. Think of whats in style.

That is true! I have never done any business before! Except as employee, doing purchasing, but that is quite different, as you work within your well defined scope work.

Oh, and please note the citation marks I put around "poor people"! The thread-starter talked about selling to "the masses", so that would include what I call poor people. And I would consider poverty in DR as life in misery, but maybe I am wrong? I only wanted to be clear; not to suggest words for an ad campaign.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Perfume

chuckuindy said:
I was thinking more of inviting Wales in as a silent partner.

Not interested. I don't like the sound or the smell of this venture.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Gringo said:

Charlie

Gringo[/QUOTE]Ok, so Charley is putting up 51k and it is up to the rest of us to come up with 49k for the new and improved DR1Condom. We shall form a limited partnership and control the sex in the DR. Then we can start a new forum "Dr1Condoms" under the business headline and talk about our company.

What do you all think?

Scott

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Escott said:
Ok, so Charley is putting up 51k and it is up to the rest of us to come up with 49k for the new and improved DR1Condom. We shall form a limited partnership and control the sex in the DR. Then we can start a new forum "Dr1Condoms" under the business headline and talk about our company.

What do you all think?

Scott

Who will design the logo?
Who will be in charge of the Sosua marketing branch? :rolleyes:

Barnab?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Escott said:

Gringo

With the birth rate what it is in the DR I think the condom idea is out for me. Granted they are small, light weight, and easy to transport but the facts lead me to believe most Dominican ?do not take showers in raincoats? Mfg. costs and raw materials would also be expensive, quality control is an issue here. It?s not a one size fits all product.

Thanks for the ideas, but I think I?ll pass on this one. Any other suggestions?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe sell toothbrushes? Everybody needs one, everybody could afford a cheap one, and everybody needs to replace them every 3 months or so!

Other ideas could be:

Eating Utensils
Cooking Pots and Pans, etc.
Juicers
Portable water purifiers
Foot ware
Shirts and Pants
Socks
Underwear
Brushes
Makeup
Skin Lightners
Aerosols
Hand Bags
Purses
Men's Wallets
Dresses
etc.

You can find cheap versions of anything in this world. Many of the cheap stuff from the items mentioned above would be quite affordable to the average Dominican, especially if they are made in the DR.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Other ideas could be:

Eating Utensils
Cooking Pots and Pans, etc.
Juicers
Portable water purifiers
Foot ware
Shirts and Pants
Socks
Underwear
Brushes
Makeup
Skin Lightners
Aerosols
Hand Bags
Purses
Men's Wallets
Dresses
etc.

You can find cheap versions of anything in this world. Many of the cheap stuff from the items mentioned above would be quite affordable to the average Dominican, especially if they are made in the DR

Of the items you mentioned, I like fashions the best. Jeans are out, although everyone in the DR wares jeans there is too much competition for me. What I have found is that women?s blouses that I bring to the DR are more colorful, (which Dominican women like), are made of better material, have and appealing brand label, i.e. Arizona (J.C. Penney) or others, and even with the 20% - 35% import tax could still be sold at around $595DOP. After shipping and customs fees I believe I could still make a 20% profit margin. But there is little room left for the retailer. Loss leaders are unheard of in the DR.

Make up, especially eye make up has tons of margins in it. I can buy eye shadow retail at Family Dollar Stores for $1USD that would sell in the DR for $395DOP. A great margin if I can find the right retailers, who will work on 25%,

Handheld power tools are another product that is over priced in the DR. Electric sanders, drill, saws, ECT. all seem to cost 50% to 100% more than they do here in the US.

Please keep the ideas coming. I am very serious about doing business in the DR if at all possible.

Thanks
Charlie