real estate investment

dr5555

May 28, 2004
I am looking for a real estate investment in the DR. I know the Internet is not a good place for this, but I would like to hear your opinion on this Villa which sells for US$150k (the price you pay for a 1-room appartment in my country):
http://www.andresa.com/english/villa las galeras.htm

Is it worth the price? Is it in a good area? Is it suitable for offering it for rental? How much can you ask for (per week)?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm not familiar with the area, so others would need to respond to that, but I am familiar with mortgage financing charges & 6% p.a. seems very low for the DR. I don't know if this makes it a bargain or not, but suggest you ask why only 6% pa.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are talking about 7,000,000 Pesos!

It is not a very large house,and is somewhat "Off The Beaten Path"!
To maintain the pool(electricity provided by you,or the Edinorte) will cost maybe 20,000 pesos a month!
The 6% loan is easy! The house is probably worth about 75,000 US to the seller,so once the seller has his money for his house,he is making you a 75,000 dollar loan at 6%.He hopes you will "default",so he can "Re-Po" the property!
But there is no accounting for taste!
The cost of property in your "Home Country" is of absolutely no relevance in this country!!Would you go to Spain and pay double for a "Paella" just because it cost 3 times as much at home??
As has been stated here 100o0 and 1 times before,"Come here and live for a while before you make any commitment!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Nice one CCCCCCCCCCC

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes absolute sense. And after the repo............the whole process can start all over again! Just a small outlay on advertising. Well spotted, sir!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Buying

Escott said:
I don't know anyone who is happy after buying a house on the internet. I know two brits that have done this and it wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Scott

Before we bought our new home, we looked at every site on the internet, the best for information was Palm Hills in Cabarete and then we flew down to see and we did buy it. I remember buying an unseen home on the telephone in Spain many years ago which was a disaster. We only stayed one night and bought another the next day. The internet is great to look at pictures but do not send money until you have seen

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Happy With It ??

Wales said:
Before we bought our new home, we looked at every site on the internet, the best for information was Palm Hills in Cabarete and then we flew down to see and we did buy it. I remember buying an unseen home on the telephone in Spain many years ago which was a disaster. We only stayed one night and bought another the next day. The internet is great to look at pictures but do not send money until you have seen

How did it work out ? Would you do it again ?

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
DR5555 - In my opinion, the price is too high for the area, even though the house looks very nice.

The Samana pennisula is suppose to be the most beautiful area of the DR, but it's not easy to get there (2 hrs from nearest international airport). From reading DR1 posts, there aren't alot of vital facilities there either for my wanting to buy there.

Hopefully, one of the Samana experts will see your post. But in the meantime, there are plenty of threads in the archives about Las Galeras.

Have you looked more on the north coast (Puerta Plata/Sosua/Cabarete)? Plenty of real estate web sites for these areas.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
investmenr

danely said:
How did it work out ? Would you do it again ?

Absolutely fine. Yes but we won't be as this is the last home we shall buy.