Why is the HIV rate in Jamaca reported as 1/2 of Dominican Republic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Lest reported rate was in 2001 for both countries:

Jamaica:
Adults age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 18,000
New HIV infections, 2001 nd
Adult HIV prevalence (%), 2001 1.2
Women age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 7,200
Children with HIV/AIDS, 2001 800
AIDS orphans (ages 0-14), 2001 5,100
AIDS deaths, 2001 98

Dominican Republic:
Adults age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 120,000
Adult HIV prevalence (%), 2001 2.5
Women age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 61,000
Children with HIV/AIDS, 2001 4,700
AIDS orphans (ages 0-14), 2001 33,000
AIDS deaths, 2001 7,800

Source: UNAIDS

Cuba reports a virtual nil rate, but I have no idea if that is accurate, and couldn't check the facts even if I wanted to.

But back on the thread, is Jamaica doing something to prevent HIV spread that the DR is not? Or is this just Jamaica being more suave on manipulating results so as to not impact thier tourist industry?

-Lee

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Would speculate the DR results are because of our proximity with Haiti. Jamaica has a population of about 3 million, DR population is around 9 million.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't believe any of these statistics. I think there is no way to even guess at this figure.

I wouldn't trust anything that this government puts out. They can't even figure out where their money goes let alone medical statistics.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
% not numbers

Dolores said:
Would speculate the DR results are because of our proximity with Haiti. Jamaica has a population of about 3 million, DR population is around 9 million.

I believe that article said the prevalance of AIDS inthe DR was 2.5% and Jamaica 1.2%, what does that have to do with population numbers?

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
What I know is

The reason that DR has more HIV or Aids sick in the Dominican Republic is for the reason that there are more homosexual in the DR than Jamaica. Also Dominican Rep. have more sex worker than Jamaica.

The rate of AIDS or HIV in the caribbean is increasing more having as a first Place Haiti as having mayor population of people with AIDS or HIV, as second place Brazil where 1 of 4 person is HIV positive.

Seems like that the Dominican Republic is not doing 100% their job to minimize this, we all know that Gov. and politicians have other priorities. just look at the condition that hospital are having in the Dominican Rep. that would be enought to answer many questions about HIV.

What is the Red Cross doing ?

What is defensa civil doing to face the situation ?

What is doing the minister of Public Health for that ?

Look it this, Goverments have enought money to buy war aircraft to play and Metal detector for school but not money for HIV program for schools. I remenber last year I went to the get a Flu Shot in the University here in Canada. and the first thing that I saw was a huge basket of condoms for free
thats what I call work.

In Haiti people hardly have money to eat how are they going to have money to buy condoms or birth control, that's why Haiti is what is it right now. "Number 1 in the Caribbean".

SEXUAL EDUCATION IS WHAT THE DOMINICAN REP. NEEDS.

http://hoy.com.do/(q11fudmdopd24w55dvnfay45)/aspx/article.aspx?id=17688

Can some body make a Essay of this link in English?

Homer

ltsnyder said:
Lest reported rate was in 2001 for both countries:

Jamaica:
Adults age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 18,000
Adult HIV prevalence (%), 2001 1.2
Women age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 7,200
Children with HIV/AIDS, 2001 800
AIDS orphans (ages 0-14), 2001 5,100
AIDS deaths, 2001 98

Dominican Republic:
Adults age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 120,000
Adult HIV prevalence (%), 2001 2.5
Women age 15-49 with HIV/AIDS, 2001 61,000
Children with HIV/AIDS, 2001 4,700
AIDS orphans (ages 0-14), 2001 33,000
AIDS deaths, 2001 7,800

Source: UNAIDS

Cuba reports a virtual nil rate, but I have no idea if that is accurate, and couldn't check the facts even if I wanted to.

But back on the thread, is Jamaica doing something to prevent HIV spread that the DR is not? Or is this just Jamaica being more suave on manipulating results so as to not impact thier tourist industry?

-Lee

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
KrackedKris said:
I believe that article said the prevalance of AIDS inthe DR was 2.5% and Jamaica 1.2%, what does that have to do with population numbers?

Population has to do because 3 million population is more manageable than 9 million in DR and another 7 million in Haiti. Remember reading/seeing TV program that Cuba chose to totally isolate those infected with AIDS/HIV from the start. This was possible in a totalitarian regime.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
I don't think managing population is success in Jamaica

Dolores said:
Population has to do because 3 million population is more manageable than 9 million in DR and another 7 million in Haiti. Remember reading/seeing TV program that Cuba chose to totally isolate those infected with AIDS/HIV from the start. This was possible in a totalitarian regime.

Dolores

By saying "manageable" you are insinuating that the DR can not teach it's population about AIDS nor control the spread?

I really don't think that is the case, but as another post says, the abundance of "sex workers" in the DR contributes to the much higher percentage than Jamaica

As far as comparing to Cuba, that is like trying to compare Switzerland to North Korea , no one really knows what the situation is in Cuba. :cry:

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Some advancement has been made. Copresida says people are listening, at least in Santo Domingo, to all the recommendations about using condoms. Read brief at http://www.dr1.com today (6 July)

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Homer Simpson, your Brazil stats seemed pulled from thin air. . .

The rate of AIDS or HIV in the caribbean is increasing more having as a first Place Haiti as having mayor population of people with AIDS or HIV, as second place Brazil where 1 of 4 person is HIV positive

Please tell me where you get it, UNAID reports a 0.7% rate for brazil.

-Lee

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Sharing the island with Haiti is your answer

Going back to the original question, undoubtedly sharing the island with Haiti is the answer since Haiti has a huge HIV problem and it spills over into the DR. Jamaica's population is 1/3 of the DR's so that's another obvious answer and, as someone said above, I would take these figures with a boulder of salt.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Good news

Dolores said:
Some advancement has been made. Copresida says people are listening, at least in Santo Domingo, to all the recommendations about using condoms. Read brief at http://www.dr1.com today (6 July)

I just read that, it looks as though education is taking hold.

Congrats on the improvement

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
The reason might be more the macho thing than anything else!

Aids prevention is one of the things that has never taken hold in systematic part of the male ego in DR they think they are studs and that the females can resist them. This I can see in many of my male relatives, who are thinking that beding a young girl when they are old men as it seems that the parents don't persecute them for rape. This I think is one of the reason for the hight rate of aids and any other contageous desease including the clap, which is not usually reported.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Mr. Lee

Yes I got the info from the Air.

En Brasil -el pa?s con mayor poblaci?n de la regi?n- vive uno de cada cuatro de todos los infectados con VIH en la regi?n, seg?n el informe

Please read this article is where I got the info, then you tell me that I got it from the air.
http://www.hoy.com.do/(u20kgw454mjpsu55ulukq3bf)/aspx/article.aspx?id=17688

I just wanted to add this, I just got this: "in 2002 Dominican Republic #1 in HIV cases"

http://www.cimacnoticias.com/noticias/02mar/02032806.html

Read

ltsnyder said:
Please tell me where you get it, UNAID reports a 0.7% rate for brazil.

-Lee

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A couple of things

First off that quote says that one if four of the AIDS/HIV patients in the "area" )?South America? ?Latin America?) is from Brazil. that makes sense with Brazil's huge populations

Now on to the DR> I wish I could find the article from Live Magazine froma few years ago that looked at AIDS in Haiti. It was an August edition but i have not been able to find it.

Anyway, the author, a Doctor from Montreal, I think, showed how the heterosexual Haitian males would "service" the French Canadian and French homosexual tourists for money, becomne infected, then go home to his wife and infect her, and if he had any money he would find a Dominican prostitute, because she was considerably "lighter" in color, and also infect her. And then she, in turn, would continue her work in Cura?ao and Santo Domingo...This is one of the major reasons why there is so much HIV in the DR.

Of Course ignorance, and machismo and down right stupidity help a lot.

HB

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
This does not mean that 1 out of 4 Brazilians...

simpson Homer said:
En Brasil -el pa?s con mayor poblaci?n de la regi?n- vive uno de cada cuatro de todos los infectados con VIH en la regi?n, seg?n el informe

This does not mean that 1 out of 4 Brazilians is infected by HIV as you erroneously interpreted in your post. This means that OF ALL HIV INFECTED IN THE REGION, 1 out of 4, or 25%, live in Brazil. The figure of less than 1% in Brazil may be close to accurate even though they have the worst problem
after Haiti.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How true...

Escott said:
I don't believe any of these statistics. I think there is no way to even guess at this figure.

I wouldn't trust anything that this government puts out. They can't even figure out where their money goes let alone medical statistics.

This is the most precise answer in this thread.
If anyone has been here during census time, they will tell you what a joke it is.
The government has no clue about these types of stats, nor any others, let alone how many people actually live here.
As for there being more sex trade here than Jamaica, well that's not much of a surprise.
The Dominican women are beautiful and attract a lot of attention from men, while Jamaican women, well..........

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you haven't read this already... see today's news briefs on the latest UN HIV/AIDS 2004 Report:

UN HIV/AIDS 2004 report
The United Nations report on HIV/AIDS indicates that the Dominican Republic is facing a serious HIV epidemic, but at the same time, results of the 2004 report indicate that the high prevalence of the illness in the DR has actually declined, and the outlook has improved thanks to effective preventive efforts that have been put into place. As reported in El Caribe, the reduction is attributed to prevention campaigns, the fact that people have reduced the number of their sexual partners, and an increased use of condoms. The document indicates that more than 50% of men aged 15-29 have used a condom when having sex with women with whom they do not live. It also mentions that the prevalence of the illness among pregnant women in Santo Domingo subsided from around 3% in 1995 to less than 1% at the end of 2003. In other parts of the country, however, there is still a strong incidence of infection, with some cities posting rates as high as 5%.
The UN report includes the DR among the ?success stories? in the fight against the disease, for having reduced HIV infection.
In the Dominican Republic, 7,900 individuals died of the illness in 2003. In the Caribbean in general, 430,000 persons are infected with HIV/AIDS, with 35,000 succumbing to the illness in 2003.
The situation continues to be serious in neighboring Haiti, where the national prevalence is 5.6%, ranging from 2.5% in lesser affected cities, and 11.9% in others. The prevalence in Haiti is the highest outside of Africa, making it the ignominious AIDS leader in Latin America and the Caribbean. The report establishes that three Caribbean countries have national HIV prevalence rates of at least 3%: the Bahamas, Haiti and Trinidad & Tobago. The report describes the Caribbean epidemic as mainly heterosexual, and in many places to be concentrated among sex workers, while alerting that it is also spreading among the general population.
See http://www.unaids.org/en/default.asp for a copy of the report released on 6 July.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Soooooo..... maybe the answer to the original question is:

In Jamaica, it's because it is 1/2 of the rate in the DR. It very well could be. The murder rate is probably 10X higher to compensate.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly said:
Anyway, the author, a Doctor from Montreal, I think, showed how the heterosexual Haitian males would "service" the French Canadian and French homosexual tourists for money, becomne infected, then go home to his wife and infect her, and if he had any money he would find a Dominican prostitute, because she was considerably "lighter" in color, and also infect her. And then she, in turn, would continue her work in Cura?ao and Santo Domingo...This is one of the major reasons why there is so much HIV in the DR.

HB

Didn't Balaguer once warned Dominicans about the HIV risk for Dominicans going into Haiti and for Dominicans not putting much attention to the migration patterns of the Haitians?

I think he did. I also think that many folks excuse it as a "racist remark". Well, maybe it wasn't as "racist" as people say it was because I can see his warning coming a reality now that Haitians can pretty much come and go as they please and Dominicans are starting to do the same.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dolores said:
The situation continues to be serious in neighboring Haiti, where the national prevalence is 5.6%, ranging from 2.5% in lesser affected cities, and 11.9% in others. The prevalence in Haiti is the highest outside of Africa, making it the ignominious AIDS leader in Latin America and the Caribbean. The report establishes that three Caribbean countries have national HIV prevalence rates of at least 3%: the Bahamas, Haiti and Trinidad & Tobago. See http://www.unaids.org/en/default.asp for a copy of the report released on 6 July.

I'm surprised to see T&T there. I always thought they had that under control there, oh well. However, the Bahamian deal could be exacerbated as it is in the DR due to Haitian migration. They do have a large Haitian community there and since Haiti is the leader (not originators of the disease, but the highest prevelant rate outside of Africa), that could be the reason behind the high infectious rate there.

To my understanding of Cuba's way of handling this, it goes down to some education and pure isolation of those HIV infected folks from the general public. That is something that should had been done when the world found out of this disease in the 80s. I didn't see anything wrong with getting rid of a small number of people before it got out of hand as it already is. I really feel sorry for Africa, places like Botswana have up to 80% of their population with HIV/AIDS according to the country study of the CIA. A real disaster in deed. Foreign nations (particularly the rich ones) are not adequately helping extremely impoverished Africa in this battle which leads me to believe that aside from the Slave Trade, the Aids ignorance could prove to be the most horrific act of humanity.

China is having an epidemic that could threatened their economic growth, that's according to a report by CNN, I believe it was in Feb. when I watched it on Satelite.

Now that we are talking about terminal illnesses, does anyone have heard anything about West Nile Virus here in the DR? I heard it was here about a year ago, but haven't heard anything since. I know the US, southern Canada, and Mexico are really worried about this mosquito disease there.

Status
Not open for further replies.