Any Car rental places open @ 2 AM

PRbbDRbm

Apr 29, 2004
I'm flying into Santo Domingo Aug 6 on JetBlue and I need to rent a car. I have searched high and low on the net and I can not find a rental place that is open at that time, 2AM. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Oh and I will not rent a car from a small company I learned the hard way that " Lo barato sale caro" :(

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nope

The last two posts on this same subject if I recall correctly wound up either going to Boca Chica for the night and coming back when they opened or went to a cabana near the airport ( a little seedy but clean and has a bed) and did the same thing. Someone should chat with Jet Blue about their ridiculuous choice of arrival and departure times, expecially since you will encounter the same problem returning the car since departure is 3 a.m. or so isn't it?

You get what you pay for service-wise. Aeromar was another worse example of price only buying, JB won't go under but this is a hell of a way to service your clientele.

wunderone

May 12, 2004
Try calling Budget at the airport

PRbbDRbm -
Try calling Budget Car Rental at SDQ (the Santo Domingo Airport). Ask to speak to Edison, who speaks quite good English. He might be able to manage this for you, making sure there is someone at the rental desk to rent your car to you. 809 566 6666. A hefty tip would be in order if he can work this out for you. Also, what I do sometimes is just take a taxi into town and rent a car (in Santo Domingo) the next day - price ends up the same.

PRbbDRbm

Apr 29, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the advice I'll have to take a cab into my hotel and worry about getting a car from there.
I'm staying at Hamaca what would be the most reliable place I could rent a car from in that area?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are staying at the Hamaca, you are close by to the Las Americas International Airport, largest base of car rentals in the country. If you are looking to rent from a big company, check out National Car Rental. See http://www.dr1.com/national

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Think it Over

PRbbDRbm said:
Thanks for the advice I'll have to take a cab into my hotel and worry about getting a car from there.
I'm staying at Hamaca what would be the most reliable place I could rent a car from in that area?

You're in a good AI ( well, as good as one can get) are you sure you need a rental car at all? Taxis, negotiated well when required, may be less, are less hassle and you avoid driving in the DR, a big plus.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I'm sure something can be worked out with your rental company. When I arrived at STI last Thurs. evening, I cleared customs at around 1:30 and stopped at the National car rental office outside the airport. I asked the guy in there some ATM information as he was closing.

You probabaly need to inform them of what time you're scheduled to land, so that they can make arrangements.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
This is the way it will be for a while. I am sure, the more people fly JetBlue, the more likely the renatl car companies will have someone on hand late nights.

wunderone

May 12, 2004
2AM Car Rental

I tried to negotiate with a couple of car rental places, but it was no-go. Said that the airport requires them to close at 11PM. I think that it is possible to run across a car-renter, but the only way to know is to show up and hope there is someone around. I'd rather not be in SDQ at 2AM, wondering about a ride. So I am doing the pre-arranged taxi route. Same problem with drop-off - it requires hanging around the airport for a couple extra hours, as the car rental places are closed so early.