Flight transfers JFK/LGA

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hi,

Has anyone done the flight transfers between JFK/LGA in NYC? I have so far avoided them because I imagine its a nightmare going between the airports with bags, etc, not to mention having the waste of money on a taxi.

Am I right? Or is it a simple transfer where they move your bags for you, and provide a bus?

Adrian

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is HORRIBLE

adrianb said:
Hi,

Has anyone done the flight transfers between JFK/LGA in NYC? I have so far avoided them because I imagine its a nightmare going between the airports with bags, etc, not to mention having the waste of money on a taxi.

Am I right? Or is it a simple transfer where they move your bags for you, and provide a bus?

Adrian

I did it - arrived JFK , connected to Toronto at LGA - there were 1000 people looking for cabs, I took the bus and it took easily 1 1/4 hours at 6 p.m., so as long as you have 3-4 hours to do it, try it otherwise it is a pain. They do NOT move your bags - you have to go thru INS and Customs on arrival and that means getting your bags anyway - and you cannot check in at JFK for an LGA outbound flight. I am not 100% on the NYC subway system but there is a JFK train that is free between terminals and the normal fare ( or a bit more) to Jamaica Queens or Flatbush I think - if a cab there to LGA is faster than JFK - LGA you could try that.

Never again for me though. MIA is a cakewalk in comparison.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Another tip

adrianb said:
Sounds like a real mess. Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to avoid it.

MIA connections are a real hassle of late - my April trip I was on the 4 p.m. out of SDQ connecting to the 8 out of MIA to Toronto. For some reason I decided to take the plane arriving at 4 instead of leaving the DR at 4.

Well, one reason was the last time I connected I had 2 hours to do it, then we lost 30 minutes in SDQ with a mechanical, then it took 30+ at INS, 30+ just to LEAVE customs ( I had no checked bags to wait for) and then 30+ at the D concourse security line with more people than a ticket line for Springsteen. I just made the flight.

Schedule a 4 hour vs. 2 hour layover in MIA is my advice, your stress levels from waiting will be lower than those from rushing around and you'll have to.

Also that 4 p.m. flight out left at 7:15 from SDQ and as such I'd have missed the last flight to Toronto in MIA totally. Good intuition.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Not a bad experience

My experience was not bad at all, and this is in New York. I expected far worse during a holiday weekend.

I traveled the ATL-LGA, JFK-STI route last Thursday. Took me 30-45 mins in rush hour from airport to airport by car. I arrived at LGA at 5:30 p.m., had a 9:45 p.m. flight from JFK. Spent about 3 hours doing nothing at JFK.

There is a $15 shuttle bus available between the airports. I generally travel light, one carry one bag. You move your own bags. They help you put them on the bus. If you need more help, hire one of the porters there.

Coming back STI-JFK, JFK-LGA yesterday. It took us 20 mins, airport to airport. And this is with minor roadwork being done.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Not so bad, New York Airport Service Express Bus offers service every 30 minutes between JFK and LGA from 6:30 AM to 8:00 PM. The cost is $11.

This phone number is:
(718) 875-8200

Depending on traffic, the ride would take between 20-45 minutes.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i think you are CRAZY for even thinking about tryint to attempt such a transfer. Perhaps if you are doing this very late at night it wont be SOOO terrible.... But since you will either be relying on a buss or taxi...you have to consider NYC traffic (even in the boros's it can get pretty mess...especialy around JFK).

Me personaly...when i travel i want the least amount of headaches...no matter if i am traveling for pleasure or for business. I dont even like doing transfers in ONE airport...let-a-lone 2 airports...and here in NYC....u be crazy :)

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I'm from Brooklyn, I live in Atlanta, been in LA traffic a few times. I understand a little bit about traffic.

During a very busy holiday weekend, at 5:45-6:00 p.m., I made it from LGA-JFK within 30-45 minutes. Rush hour traffic was in full force with people merging from the LIE & Grand Central onto the Van Wyck & Jackie Robinson. There were also road construction zones as well. It seemed like a mess, but only took 30-45 mins. With the shuttle, I'd add another 15 minutes. The worst of the traffic was leaving LGA.

It takes an idiot to try this, but it really wasn't bad. Stupid would be to attempt Newark to JFK with not much leeway time for traffic. In my case, I had 4 hours, and ended up with 3+ hours to burn in JFK.

I hate transfers as well, but this was much better than transferring in MIA. Crazy as that sounds.

jrzyguy said:
i think you are CRAZY for even thinking about tryint to attempt such a transfer. Perhaps if you are doing this very late at night it wont be SOOO terrible.... But since you will either be relying on a buss or taxi...you have to consider NYC traffic (even in the boros's it can get pretty mess...especialy around JFK).

Me personaly...when i travel i want the least amount of headaches...no matter if i am traveling for pleasure or for business. I dont even like doing transfers in ONE airport...let-a-lone 2 airports...and here in NYC....u be crazy :)