Samana, Las Terrenas & Las Galeras ?

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
Samana, Las Terrenas & Las Galeras?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in these three places? My husband and I want to stay somewhere, where we can enjoy beautiful beaches, rent a jeep and drive, yet have options for restaurants and dancing in the evening. Which of the 3 places is best for what we are after. We don't want to be caged up in an all inclusive hotel, we want to wander around, day & evening.

Also, does anyone know of any good hotels preferably, on the beachfront there seems to be alot, but it's nice to get a referral!!

Gracias!
Angelita

Last edited:

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Angelita said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in these three places? My husband and I want to stay somewhere, where we can enjoy beautiful beaches, rent a jeep and drive, yet have options for restaurants and dancing in the evening. Which of the 3 places is best for what we are after. We don't want to be caged up in an all inclusive hotel, we want to wander around, day & evening.

Also, does anyone know of any good hotels preferably, on the beachfront there seems to be alot, but it's nice to get a referral!!

Gracias!
Angelita

I think Las Terranas is your best best. Samana-no beach, Las Galeras, no night life, Las Terranas should have most of what you want. IMHO

Bob H.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Angelita said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in these three places? My husband and I want to stay somewhere, where we can enjoy beautiful beaches, rent a jeep and explore, yet have options for restaurants and dancing in the evening. Which of the 3 places is best for what we are after. We don't want to be caged up in an all inclusive hotel, we want to wander around, day & evening.

Gracias!
Angelita
Hi Angelita,
All 3 are on the water, although the town of Samana itself doesn't have much beach area, but there are some interesting tours and hotels there.
Las Terenas and Las Galeras have unending beaches and lots of isolated areas. If you are renting a jeep, you can tour around all 3 and more.

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
Las Terrenas

For Las Terrenas, I'd highly recommend Playa Colibri http://www.playacolibri.com/

It's about 20 minute walk to town, so it's quiet, but you can easily catch a moto concho to town & it's just a few minutes away. There were beautiful beaches in that area, we did some fun excursions & the hotel staff was incredibly helpful. For the price, there's nothing better around (so I've heard). It's a great hotel & great value & great pool. The restaruant is also fantastic & they might also offier a meals-included thing if you want to (so if you don't feel like going to town on a given day, you can buy a meal ticket--also a good value).

We didn't go out in the evenings, so I'm not sure how that is. We were just there last month, so let me know if you have any other questions you want answered.

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
thank you....

thanks for all your help in answering my questions about Samana. I will return the emails I have and see what I come up with, although right now it seems like Las Terranas :squareeye