"Heavens" in Puerto Plata Playa Dorado

C

Christa

I was in Puerto Plata Playa Dorado Cpmplex in 1997 and stayed at a resort named Heavens, and since then the resort was sold and renamed Rhumba Heavens. Does anyone know of any major changes to this resort. And if so, the comparison between now and 1997. I had such a great time the last time I stayed that I decided I would go back for my honeymoon. I just don't want any disappointments when I arrive! Any information would be a great help! Thanks! P.S. We are leaving for POP on Sept. 12th!

M

Mark

Re: "Heavens" in Puerto Plata Playa Dora

Christa,

You're probably not going to like what you're about to here! My wife and I also stayed at Heavens in 1997, and like yourself, had a great time. We recommended it to many friends and anyone that we heard asking about it on the internet. However, earlier this year we started reading bad reviews about heavens, and at first we assumed it was simply a case of a few "bad experiences". Apparently the bad reviews are well justified. Since amsha sold the property to coral (I think) the new management have made quite a few changes to the property and it's services. They gutted out the old entertainment team (chocolate friends), who in my opinion were the life-blood of heavens. From what i've heard from many former repeat visitors to heavens, the service has taken a drastic turn for the worst. Also, Michalangelos a la carte restaurant (by the pool) has been turned into the games room, in an attempt to cut costs. While in playa dorada this spring, my wife and I made a point of checking out heavens, and spoke with a number of guests. Most weren't impressed! The biggest complaint was the service and the entertainment......which used to be heaven's biggest asset! Several repeat guests were extremely disappointed, and were quite certain that they would stay elsewhere next time back. The only positive change that I could see was the construction of a new (bigger) bar by the pool. (I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old one!) Unless the new management get their act together soon, I think heaven's reputation will soon be tarnished beyond repair. Maybe things will get better, maybe they won't.....you may go there in september and love it.....who knows! I think I'd recommend booking something with a little less question surrounding it. My wife and I stayed next door at playa naco, and thought it was absolutely fantastic. We recommend it highly! If you'd like more details feel free to e-mail me.

Mark

B

Bill-Ontario

Go for it - and then give everyone an update. Tried your E mail direct - but it was returned!! What gives?.

C

Christa

I put the wrong e-mail address, sorry about that!

C

Christa

Hey, thanks for the info! Do you happen to know if the price of Playa Naco is comparable to Heavens? That was another great thing, Heavens was definately affordable! Thabk You!

M

Mark

Christa,

I'm not sure where you are located, but for me (being canadian)playa naco is very reasonably priced (that's why we chose it this spring)....in fact it's probably the best value in playa dorada in this years canadian brochures. This spring playa naco was approximately $20CAN more expensive per week (STD room) than heavens. For this fall the price out of Toronto is approximately $850-950CAN per week and $1200-1350CAN for two (STD room plus taxes) I think you'd agree that it is a far superior property (to heavens).....especially if you consider the apparent down-turn in services at heavens. It has beautiful grounds, it's right on the beach, 4 bars, the buffet plus three a la carte restaurants, a huge pool with swim up bar, tennis courts, a great beach front with bar & grill, it's extremely clean, and most importantly the service is great. The rooms are nothing special, but they are spacious and very clean. I didn't find the entertainment as good as the chocolate friends at heavens (1997), but it wasn't bad. The disco at heavens (still) has a great reputation, but TOPS disco at heavens is quite good as well. Hope this helps!

Mark

T

Tania

I'm going to have to agree with Mark, unfortunately the Heaven's has really gone down. I have stayed there about 7 times, and since the new owners took over too many drastic changes have been made. For one thing, they have gotten rid of all the "chocolate friends", what a HUGE mistake!!! They were what kept the repeaters coming back. The entertainment was wonderful, and besides that the chocolate friends made all the guests feel comfortable, and made sure that we were all surrounded by a friendly atmospere. There are plenty of other good hotels on the Playa Dorada, and I have heard great reviews on alot of them like Playa Naco, Gran Ventana, Paradise, and Flamenco. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you have more questions you can e-mail at the above address.

C

Christa

Okay, well, I can't really change my plans for this trip because it's already booked, but I do have a few other questions and I thank you for your responses to my other question. Do they still have a house band at night? Do they still have the tikki bar and grill on the beach? Did they replace the "Chocolate Friends" with another team of entertainment? Is the food still the same? And one more question, I was there in July 1997, is it any different (quiet, lively, boring,) in September? Thank you soooooo much!

M

Mark

Christa, Yes, the beach "tikki bar" is still there. In May it appeared exactly the same as it did in the past. It fact, it's probably the nicest little beach bar and grill on the entire beach! You will notice very little physical difference in heavens. (except as I mentioned, Michalangelos is now a games room, and a new pool-side bar has been constructed) September is "technically" still considered hurricane season, but you'd be pretty unlikely to strike a hurricane on the north coast! Your biggest worry is probably a warm shower here or there.....more often than not you'll have a normal week of sunshine, with a scattered early evening shower. If heavens turns out to be quiet and/or boring in the evenings, i'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of fun inside the complex somewhere! My experience is that the right croud can easily make their own fun....just about anywhere! With any luck the management at heavens will have gotten their act together, and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. Good luck, have a great time, and let us know how you make out!

Mark

L

LORRI HUSSEY

HI CHRISTA. WELL MY FRIEND AND I HAVE BEEN TO HEAVENS 3 TIMES THIS YEAR ALREADY. I ALWAYS ENJOY STAYING THERE. WE STAYED AT PARADISE AT CHRISTMAS, THE HOTEL WAS INCREDIBLE BUT THE PEOPLE THAT STAY THERE SUCKED!! BY THE END OF THE 2 WEEKS WE ONLY KNEW 2 OF THE STAFF MEMBERS BY NAME. WE GO TO HEAVENS AND AS SOON AS WE WALK IN EVERYONE THERE IS CALLING US BY NAME AND GIVING US HUGS. I FEEL LIKE HEAVENS IS MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME. YOU SHOULD ASK FOR BETHSAIDA WHEN YOU GO THERE. SHE IS THE ASSISTANT MANAGER AND SHE TAKES REAL GOOD CARE OF US. SHE IS A GREAT PERSON. ALSO AS FOR CHANGES THE HOTEL HAS GOTTEN SLIGHTLY BETTER IN AREAS AND THEN NOT SO GOOD IN OTHERS. THE BAND IS GONE AND THE CHOCLATE STAFF IS STILL THERE ( BUT IT IS A NEW DANCE). THE POOL AREA IS ALOT NICER AND THE BEACH IS STILL THE SAME. THE SHOWS ARE THE SAME AS THEY ALWAYS HAVE BEEN BUT NOT AS GOOD. ALOT OF THE STAFF HAS CHANGED QUITE A BIT BUT THERE IS STILL THE REGULARS LIKE CHINO AND MIGUEL WHO DOES THE SCUBA DIVING. IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION PLEASE FEEL FREE TO WRITE TO ME. HAVE FUN LORRI.