Santiago tp Puerto Plata?

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
Whats the best way to go from STI to Puerto Plata (the Occidental Grand Flamenco) and how much should I expect to spend? Can I make arrangements beforehand?

Thanks!
Dave
6331267 seconds and counting

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Piece of cake

If you are arriving at Santiago airport (STI), you have two options:
1) [a]Take a cab from the airport (ask for Rafaelito, he's a good man) and get to either Metro Tours or CAribe Tours--Los Jardines. They are on the same little street. Fare should be RD$350 ($8.50)
Take a bus to POP (RD$200) Stop some place on the way in from the airport that says "CAMBIO" and change a few dollars.
[c] Take a cab from the bus stop to the hotel in Playa Dorada

2) Have a cab waiting for you at the airport and have it take you directly to the Hotel. this will cost about $30-35 dollars.

If the latter, send me a note and I'll set it up.

HB

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
Thats actually very kind of you but I don't mean to put you out. There will be one guy and three women (not as much fun as you'd think) travelling and I'm a diver travelling with gear so I don't even know if a cab would take us. Is there a website that you could perhaps point me to so I can book it? I just don't want to be a bother.

How long of a ride is it anyway? Thanks a million again!

Dave

Hillbilly said:
If you are arriving at Santiago airport (STI), you have two options:
1) [a]Take a cab from the airport (ask for Rafaelito, he's a good man) and get to either Metro Tours or CAribe Tours--Los Jardines. They are on the same little street. Fare should be RD$350 ($8.50)
Take a bus to POP (RD$200) Stop some place on the way in from the airport that says "CAMBIO" and change a few dollars.
[c] Take a cab from the bus stop to the hotel in Playa Dorada

2) Have a cab waiting for you at the airport and have it take you directly to the Hotel. this will cost about $30-35 dollars.

If the latter, send me a note and I'll set it up.

HB

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
option 3

Rent a vehicle from the airport.
If you were to take the taxi to the caribe tours station, I think they have a bank teller to change money. I am certain of the caribe station in las colinas, but not certain about the one in Los Jardines.
The station is los jardines is a smaller, cleaner station than the one in las colinas - this may be the main hub for santiago.

Anywhere at the airport you will get less on the exchange market. I haven't seen an active black market. It appear to have been more visable in Jamaica where it is difficult for people to get US dollars. ( I think the banks only sell them US dollar if they are travelling..so I've heard. It may be different in the Dr so the Thirst must not be there)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
DaveinNY said:
Whats the best way to go from STI to Puerto Plata (the Occidental Grand Flamenco) and how much should I expect to spend? Can I make arrangements beforehand?

Thanks!
Dave
6331267 seconds and counting

I was able to work out that that is 73 days from now, but what time of the day are you arriving?? There is time enough for you to contact Martin Espinall on ESPINAL30@MSN.COM & check his prices. He has a minivan, speaks good English & will quote you a fair price. He lives in Puerto Plata area & will be able to help you organise other trips out if you are likely to want to get out of Playa Dorada whilst you are here!! - Grahame.