SD to POP evening bus trip ?

DDF

Jul 10, 2004
I am expecting to arrive at Santo Domingo Int. Airport the 6th of august at 17.40h and I need to go to POP. Is there any bus available in the evening ?
If not, I assume I could always get a taxi. Any fare estimates ?
Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has a bus leaving at 7pm for Puerto Plata. You'd be unusually lucky if you made it. However, they have a bus that leaves at 8pm for Santiago. If you took it, you would reduce your taxi costs by quite a bit. There are taxis at the Santiago bus terminal.

DDF

Jul 10, 2004
SD to POP evening taxi fares?

Thanks a lot for your replies and help.
Unfortunately I won't be on time to take a bus or a flight, so I think I will have to take a taxi. I have seen that Taxi RS (Mini-van) charges 130 $ from Santo Domingo airport to Puerto Plata. How much is the fare for a standard taxi ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's look at this a little bit more

If you get in on time you can make the 8 pm bus to Santiago, stay at the Hotel Colonial for 15 dollars and take the first bus to POP at 6 in the morning.
Total cost should be around $30 including the taxi ride from the airport to Caribe tours (Sorry, I have no idea how much those rides are.)
But lets say that the taxi is RD$800 to Santo Domingo, the bus is what nowadays? RD$150 pesos to Santtiago? and another 80 to POP? Taxi in town is RD$70 pesos.

And you have nearly $100 dollars left over for beer!

Think about this alternative. OR
Stay in a little hotel in Santo Domingo for the night and take a bus the next morning. No matter you save a lot of money..

HB, who would walk before spending that much money to travel across the country at night for nothing....

GreyGhost

Jun 4, 2003
beer money

Hillbilly, I like your thinking! What is the colonial like? $15 per night does have a/c?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sure does

It is a little gem in the middle of town. Along with the Aloha Sol it provideds reasonable accomadations for folks...

I have put up so really big spenders there and they loved it.

HB

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Colonial Hotel

Hillbilly,
As I remeber it's on Salvador ? St. Owned by a father and his son. Victor speaks very little English but his son is fluent. What's the son's name? I remember he saying he was born in NY and at the time (a while ago) was in the process of getting his DR passport.
Last time I was there the new addition was just opening, they served some great meals too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See if you can say it three times!

Salvador Cucurrullo! Near the corner of 30 de Marzo!

Great memory.

HB