EDTA - where can it be purchased here?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone know where EDTA can be purchased in the North Coast area from Puerto Plata to Cabarete? I am looking to use this to lengthen the life of the batteries in my inverter system.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Edta

windeguy said:
Does anyone know where EDTA can be purchased in the North Coast area from Puerto Plata to Cabarete? I am looking to use this to lengthen the life of the batteries in my inverter system.
I have searched everywhere and cannot find it here.
I have now ordered some from the States and am waiting for it to arrive.
If you need any contact info, let me know.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DR supplier for EDTA

I think I may have found a supplier locally for EDTA. Distribuidora de Qu?micos I.M.P. in Santo Domingo should have the Trilon B version of EDTA available in small amounts. Tel 809-472-2215.

Trilon B polvo is the tetrasodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid version of EDTA in powdered form.

The importer, Lareca, sells it in 25 kilo bags minumum at $3.00 per kg + ITBIS and recommended the above distributor for smaller amounts.
I believe Trilon B is the correct form of EDTA to use in batteries and will contact the above distributor in the near future for more information.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
EDTA Tetrasodium as a powder is what I have been using in my batteries in the US. It is not an uncommon chemical, as it is often used as a food additive.

Do be certain of the quality. Everything you put into your batteries needs to be very pure. The EDTA I use is photograde, I don't know what other grades there are or whether they are acceptable. Do be certain to fully dissolve it in distilled water first as it will not disolve in battery acid, it needs vigerous agitation to fully disolve in water.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Thebes

Thebes said:
EDTA Tetrasodium as a powder is what I have been using in my batteries in the US. It is not an uncommon chemical, as it is often used as a food additive.

Do be certain of the quality. Everything you put into your batteries needs to be very pure. The EDTA I use is photograde, I don't know what other grades there are or whether they are acceptable. Do be certain to fully dissolve it in distilled water first as it will not disolve in battery acid, it needs vigerous agitation to fully disolve in water.
I guess that would explain the price discrepancy between IMP's $3/kilo and Botstick's $30/kilo.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Edta

ERICKXSON said:
what are you guys trying to make? :bunny:
EDTA is a chemical that can be used to dissolve sulfate deposits from lead acid batteries.
It can optimize the performance of one's inverter batteries, as well as restore old batteries, considered to be dead and useless.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What Do You Think Would Happen If I Took A Bath in "EDTA"?

Or at least gave my "Willie" a good soak! Might be better than "Vigra",I know it would be cheaper!!!!!!!!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Criss Colon said:
Or at least gave my "Willie" a good soak! Might be better than "Vigra",I know it would be cheaper!!!!!!!!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PLEASE Criss, .... stop giving people like me, the opportunity to be cheeky to you!!! This stuff only works on cells that have had some life in them during the last 5 or 6 years!!! Sorry, just couldn't resist the opening you gave!! - Grahame.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
BushBaby said:
PLEASE Criss, .... stop giving people like me, the opportunity to be cheeky to you!!! This stuff only works on cells that have had some life in them during the last 5 or 6 years!!! Sorry, just couldn't resist the opening you gave!! - Grahame.

Too too funny!! Grahame.

There is a business that supplies inverters in Sosua his name is Freddy and he goes weekly to Santo Domingo, if anyone knows where to find this he will, his cell no. is 2816192. Does it actually prolong the battey life? will it prolong the battery charge?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ladybird said:
Too too funny!! Grahame.

There is a business that supplies inverters in Sosua his name is Freddy and he goes weekly to Santo Domingo, if anyone knows where to find this he will, his cell no. is 2816192. Does it actually prolong the battey life? will it prolong the battery charge?
If this is the number for Easy Power, then you should talk to AlfromTexas before recommending him. Al's nightmares with the equipment and lack of service, led him to rip the system out yesterday and buy a new Trace system from MrMike.
EDTA does not improve new batteries. It just helps restore batteries with excessive sulphate deposits that will no longer accept a full charge.
Other than MrMike, I can't imagine any inverter/battery sales people wanting to supply you with EDTA, as this would cut into their battery sales.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Silly question

Do those electron de-sulfunators (sic) work?

I see them advertised for about $150 USD.

Gary

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gmiller261 said:

Gary
Haven't tried them myself, but I have been told that they don't last long or work very well, apart from being expensive.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
What I've heard is they work fairly well on a solar system for preventing sulfate formation. They don't do much to reverse the process. No one knows quite why they work but they definately help some. I don't know anything about their durability or use in a charger / inverter system. They seem awefully expensive to me, but perhaps dealers would prefer that to cheap EDTA.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Reviving an old thread...Does anyone know where you can purchase EDTA anywhere in El Cibao (Santiago, La Vega, San Francisco,etc). I need some of this as I have 8 batteries that are dying and are only two years old, but don't want to make a trip to the capital just for this.

Any help would be appreciated...

Sep 19, 2005
Suarezn

you know I bought some in the capitol for my girlfriends house.....But the father wont use it..or he doesnt know how, in either case it is going to waste... I think the problem was my GF who could have explained it thoroughly to him was lazy about it, and gave a half azzed attempt....and as such he just didnt bother....... I am not sure he understands how it works and maybe doesnt have the confidence in it......

bottom line ...I am going down saturday, for a week...maybe we can meet and ill give you enough to do your batteries........

she lives very close to Licey Al Media ....

youd have to PM me some contact info

(PS::: let me also make sure he still has it)

bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Are You Going To mThe DR1 Party At "ROCKY'S"

In Sosua?????? I can bring some for anyone who wants some. It costs "ABOUT" 500 pesos for 2 pounds. Let me know. I just hope I don't get stopped by the police and have to explain 20 bags of "Nose Candy":dead: !!! "EDTA" that is!!!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
CCC if you go "EDTA" shopping please get me a bag and I'll see how we can meet here in SD.... I just don't have a way to get to that store so it would be great if you could do me the favor...

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Yes they do !

Yes they work and we have them at Battery Klinic a small one that doesnt work as good for 350 Pesos to a Big One that Works rteally well from pulsetech PulseTech Products Corporation Sells for about 85 US .......... Its what we Actually Use to Regfenerate Batteries but on an Industrial Scale in order to reduce the time required !

Gary