Can I bring in a motorcycle for a 2 week vacation?

BahiaBoy

Jul 11, 2004
Hi all,
I would like to bring in a motorcycle from NYC>POP for a 2 week vacation to circumvent the island. Anyone ever done this? What do I need to do? Where should I begin?
Thanks for your help...
PS I know you will be tempted to tell me all about how dangerous it is there driving, possibility of theft, etc. Lets leave that for another thread :)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Well it will probably take you two weeks to get it out of customs, so I would highly recommend having somebody handle this on the island (to completion) before you even arrive. You will have to pay customs duty and a load of other fees and bribes (and/or post a bond for which it will take ages to get the money back).

I think it would be a far better idea to rent a bike, or even buy one and sell it afterwards.

I certainly hope you 're thinking of some type of enduro bike, cause a street bike aint gonna make it very far except for the highway between Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Your thoughts on taking a bike to the DR from NYC for 2 weeks is a fantasy and that only if I elevate it from silly which is my first thought.

There is a car/people ferry to Puerto Rico which is a possibility If you were from San Juan but you are not from Puerto Rico so that isn't a consideration either. Rent a bike, a car or take a bus and don't lecture us on how we should respond to questions.

sliverghost

May 22, 2003
definitely dreaming

This is just ridiculous...for two weeks it would cost far more than any rental. Probably cheaper to buy and just leave it....yes, that's it, you could donate it to one of the board members. I'm sure someone can get you a good deal!

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Conchman said:
I certainly hope you 're thinking of some type of enduro bike, cause a street bike aint gonna make it very far except for the highway between Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Sometimes saying nothing is better than sounding stupid! If you want to help only answer if you know what your talking about.

Bahiaboy if you are V-twin biker, you can get in touch with HOG Dominicana the local chapter of Harley club or Magna Motors the local Harley dealer for more info. If you contact HOG Dominicana maybe you can join in on their weekly trips.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Circumvent the Island

Narcosis said:
Sometimes saying nothing is better than sounding stupid! If you want to help only answer if you know what your talking about.

Bahiaboy if you are V-twin biker, you can get in touch with HOG Dominicana the local chapter of Harley club or Magna Motors the local Harley dealer for more info. If you contact HOG Dominicana maybe you can join in on their weekly trips.

I hope he doesn't send it because if I understand him correctly, he intends to AVOID the Domiinican Republic completely.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Narcosis said:

hmmm... where did he ask about this crap? Did I miss something?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
hmmm... where did he ask about this crap? Did I miss something?

Yes! you're missing a few.... what is happening here is that many bikers do just this - I believe there are tried and tested ways of bringing a bike in, join the local bike chapter and go for a vacation on the bike.

Where did I learn this? Geez, I don't remember, probably from the fellow that owns the property next door to us, who runs a bike shop, arranges races and arranges stuff like this for people.

Do I know how to do this. NO! The best bet is to follow Narcosis suggestion and get in touch with the local chapter.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris said:
Yes! you're missing a few.... what is happening here is that many bikers do just this - I believe there are tried and tested ways of bringing a bike in, join the local bike chapter and go for a vacation on the bike.

Where did I learn this? Geez, I don't remember, probably from the fellow that owns the property next door to us, who runs a bike shop, arranges races and arranges stuff like this for people.

Do I know how to do this. NO! The best bet is to follow Narcosis suggestion and get in touch with the local chapter.
Did this guy say he was a Harley/V-twin rider? He wanted to tour the country not go cruising with other bikers as far as I can make out from his post.

No friggin way does it make sense to bring in a Bike from NY for 2 weeks. Go get your head examined, you are sounding like Ladybird! LOL

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Why Don't You Want to Actually Ride it in the DR?

BahiaBoy said:
Hi all,
I would like to bring in a motorcycle from NYC>POP for a 2 week vacation to circumvent the island.

To circumvent means to avoid. To wit: hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep -- (avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)

Maybe circumnavigate? And unless you go through Haiti you can't do that either.

Drive around the island would be a good way to describe it (also, as you have pointed out and don't want to hear, die trying is another way to say it).

I think you haven't a ghost of a chance, forget customs as a secndary nightmare, what carrier will accept a motorbike as luggage? And freight will be a fortune.

Good luck wherever you wind up with it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
Did this guy say he was a Harley/V-twin rider? He wanted to tour the country not go cruising with other bikers as far as I can make out from his post.

No friggin way does it make sense to bring in a Bike from NY for 2 weeks. Go get your head examined, you are sounding like Ladybird! LOL

Never said it makes sense - Just said that it is being done, by others. I'm not a biker chick - LOL - simply passed along some trivia that came my way... I believe some folks treat their bikes like their women! ... As for sounding like Ladybird, I am seriously contemplating finding the folks that she used to uhm ... I think chased the devils out of her house or something... I have some of those living close to me.... :ninja:

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Circumvent?

ricktoronto said:
To circumvent means to avoid. To wit: hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep -- (avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)

Maybe circumnavigate? And unless you go through Haiti you can't do that either.

Drive around the island would be a good way to describe it (also, as you have pointed out and don't want to hear, die trying is another way to say it).

I think you haven't a ghost of a chance, forget customs as a secndary nightmare, what carrier will accept a motorbike as luggage? And freight will be a fortune.

Good luck wherever you wind up with it.

I already said that some posts ago.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris said:
Never said it makes sense - Just said that it is being done, by others. I'm not a biker chick - LOL - simply passed along some trivia that came my way... I believe some folks treat their bikes like their women! ... As for sounding like Ladybird, I am seriously contemplating finding the folks that she used to uhm ... I think chased the devils out of her house or something... I have some of those living close to me.... :ninja:
Some are real and some are imagined. Yours are real! LOL Yours would probably bother the ghostbusters though!:)