Security

2time

Jul 2, 2004
What is the security like at SDQ(airport) ? With customs and everything...since 9/11
When I went Bahamas it they had dogs,army personal at the gates.

I want to bring some liquor with me but don't want to have a hard time.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Airport security is not looking for a few bottles of booze! Actually, alcohol is pretty cheap here, especially rum, so why bring with you? Or are you talking about taking it out with you? That is not a problem at this end (the DR end) but might be if you exceed what you are allowed to take into the states.
P.S. Drugs are a COMPLETE no-no, in or out, (just in case that was another part of the question!)

Last edited:

2time

Jul 2, 2004
Lambada said:
Airport security is not looking for a few bottles of booze! Actually, alcohol is pretty cheap here, especially rum, so why bring with you? Or are you talking about taking it out with you? That is not a problem at this end (the DR end) but might be if you exceed what you are allowed to take into the states.
P.S. Drugs are a COMPLETE no-no, in or out, (just in case that was another part of the question!)

I know the liquor is cheaper but I heard they don't really have name brand stuff...which I like....

ooorrr

Jul 13, 2004
2time said:
I know the liquor is cheaper but I heard they don't really have name brand stuff...which I like....

You can bring some w**d and stuff ...just not a lot ...bring a handful in your pocket you'll be fine...they don't check your pockets and you....just maybe your luggage or if they have a reason to check you like someone rats you out..

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
ooorrr said:
You can bring some w**d and stuff ...just not a lot ...bring a handful in your pocket you'll be fine...they don't check your pockets and you....just maybe your luggage or if they have a reason to check you like someone rats you out..
This is NOT good advice. If you did it & got away with ooorrr, thank your lucky stars, but please don't post this as advice to anyone else. It is not responsible behaviour. I have now been involved in helping 2 people in the DR who were held on Habeas Corpus in drug cases. Both were innocent as the Courts here EVENTUALLY decreed. One was in jail 4 months, the other 14 months. It is a lot longer if you are guilty. Do not attempt to bring drugs in or take them out. Marijuana is classed as a drug here.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
ooorrr said:

I absolutely agree 100% with Lambada, your advice is foolhardy to a newcomer, how dare you risk the safety of a new visitor by such stupidity. I see its your first post, I hope after encouraging people to carry drugs into this country its your last.

DOMIERICAN

May 17, 2004
SDQ and customs

When we arrived to SDQ from JFK, the customs officer told my mother that a visitors card was not necessary for her if she was willing to give him a small "regalo" (gift). Good thing my mom had a great come-back and of course her required tourist card, which one does in-fact need.
On the way out of the country I did see a customs officer give a Pakistani man a hard time because he had the same first name as someone on the FBI terrorist list. Maybe they were running low funds and wanted money from him(who really knows...).
IMHO,customs at SDQ is like customs anywhere else in the world.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
This is some of the dumbest advice I've ever read on this site. You're telling this person to risk trafficking illegal drugs on an open website? At probably the most hard-up on security airport in the island? 2time, please do not follow this advice.

Regarding liquor, you can buy most top-shelf liquor in DR. It may cost a little more, but it's available. It's much more expensive in the bars and clubs, but cheaper than in the USA. If you're into rum, try out the local rum, Brugal (Extra Viejo). It's pretty decent, gives you a nice buzz, with no ill side effects in the morning. I usually drink cognacs, vodkas, or whiskey, depending on my mood. Brugal in between several Presidentes normally does the trick, and for much cheaper. It's up to you.

Bringing back liquor from the DR, you are limited to a max of 5 bottles without being taxed. Found that out in Santiago last week.

If mind-altering substances is built into your question, I really wouldn't advise it, because much more negative comes into play in DR. You may get set up for extortion from the police by whoever sells it to you. Jail in DR is not what it is in the USA or Canada. If that doesn't deter you, get cool with a taxi driver or motoconcho dude, and have them buy it for you. I still wouldn't advise it, but it beats the hell out of trying to bring it into the country.

ooorrr said:

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
I agree, security's not going to give you a hard time about a couple bottles of booze. Bringing in bottles of top-shelf booze is quite foolish, as many liquor stores have the same stuff. The only time I'm traveling with booze is on the flight back with Brugal Extra Viejo, and I'm always over the limit by a lot, but have never been charged the duty.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What an Idiot

ooorrr said:

One post and it is the stupidest one in living memory. This is the dumbest advice you can give a tourist unless you think it's funny to suggest they won't be caught - hell they may get caught in the USA connecting, but going to the DR with drugs is just a dumb-a_s-s thing to say.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Security is not Customs Anyway

2time said:
What is the security like at SDQ(airport) ? With customs and everything...since 9/11
When I went Bahamas it they had dogs,army personal at the gates.

I want to bring some liquor with me but don't want to have a hard time.

You can bring lots of liquor unless it violates some limit set by the TSA as to how much one person can have ( which I doubt) , the security agents in the USA won't care , there are none on arrival in SDQ anyway, but if you have tons of booze with you , then the customs people, and rightfully so, can ask for a bribe, duty and taxes or take it away. Just like the good old USA. Remember you cannot check it in your baggage - THAT the airlines don't like and it will get wrecked, broken or on arrival in the DR, stolen, so carry it.

If you buy it at the airport in the USA at duty free you are past the secutiry anyway, and they bring it to the plane for you so I am not sure who you are worried about.

Also for your one week trip just how much do you think you have to bring anyway?

You must be spinning with worry over this trip based on the # of questions you ask.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
ricktoronto said:
You can bring lots of liquor unless it violates some limit set by the TSA as to how much one person can have ( which I doubt) , the security agents in the USA won't care , there are none on arrival in SDQ anyway, but if you have tons of booze with you , then the customs people, and rightfully so, can ask for a bribe, duty and taxes or take it away. Just like the good old USA. Remember you cannot check it in your baggage - THAT the airlines don't like and it will get wrecked, broken or on arrival in the DR, stolen, so carry it.

If you buy it at the airport in the USA at duty free you are past the secutiry anyway, and they bring it to the plane for you so I am not sure who you are worried about.

Also for your one week trip just how much do you think you have to bring anyway?

You must be spinning with worry over this trip based on the # of questions you ask.

Rick, methinks there is a little more to this. :glasses:

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
ricktoronto said:
You can bring lots of liquor unless it violates some limit set by the TSA as to how much one person can have .... Remember you cannot check it in your baggage - THAT the airlines don't like and it will get wrecked, broken
In the U.S. it's two bottles...I've put liquor in my checked-in luggage. I wrap the bottles in the clothes that I didn't wear throughout the week, a (clean) sock over the bottle helps with the smaller bottles. Just make sure all the bottles are securely wrapped with clothes and that it is packed tight. I've brought back many bottles. When I came back from Sosua in April it took two people to lift the suitcase.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Oh? Like What?

Ladybird said:
Rick, methinks there is a little more to this. :glasses:

You can only carry so much, there is no security where you buy duty free so unless you can carry 200 bottles of whiskey you can try to get away with whatever you can carry , assuming you can sweet talk customs in SDQ.

Since you are being so oblique, it is hard to get your point.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
for whatever it is worth I am moving my wine cellar here suitcase by suitcase. Ask some of the people that have been to my house and have had 30 year old wine with dinner.

Never had a problem either bringing it in a suitcase or my carryone which both have been full every trip.

Scott

ooorrr

Jul 13, 2004
Escott said:
for whatever it is worth I am moving my wine cellar here suitcase by suitcase. Ask some of the people that have been to my house and have had 30 year old wine with dinner.

Never had a problem either bringing it in a suitcase or my carryone which both have been full every trip.

Scott

Look here dude's I am just telling what I did. I am not telling 2time to do it. I mean it is not like they have sniffing dogs at the airport checking people,in fact they are pretty laid back when you are coming in.
I bet not one senor here can tell a time when you were stopped and strip-searched or even had your bag thoroughly looked at.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
ooorrr said:
Look here dude's I am just telling what I did. I am not telling 2time to do it. I mean it is not like they have sniffing dogs at the airport checking people,in fact they are pretty laid back when you are coming in.
I bet not one senor here can tell a time when you were stopped and strip-searched or even had your bag thoroughly looked at.

Correction to your sumise! I go to the Puerto Plata airport quite often to pick people up & have witnessed MANY inspections going on. Agreed these were not strip searches I witnessed (although I HAVE been told of some in seperate rooms) but they were methodical searches of peoples luggage. ANYTHING of a white powder nature is taken away for further investigation - even if there is a doctors note to confirm the substance is legal & medically prescribed!! There were a number of cases earlier this year where the Santo Domingo drugs squad searched & found large consignments of drugs being smuggled out - the carriers are safely locked up for many years to come, thank God!!

Regardless of whether these searches ARE methodical or not, having drugs which MIGHT be found is a very dangerous thing to carry & YOU should not be suggesting to others that it MIGHT be safe to carry them IN OR OUT!!! Read the stories in the archives as to what happens to those even appearing to be involved with drug carrying or posession. To put YOUR involvement with same some viists ago on a PUBLIC domain board is a most dangerous thing to do & most foolhardy I would suggest! - Grahame.

ooorrr

Jul 13, 2004
Lambada said:
ooorrr, so glad you're not telling anyone to do this. Now, when is your next trip to this beautiful country?

I am here right now....staying at costalunga...want to come party with me....

ooorrr

Jul 13, 2004
BushBaby said:
Correction to your sumise! I go to the Puerto Plata airport quite often to pick people up & have witnessed MANY inspections going on. Agreed these were not strip searches I witnessed (although I HAVE been told of some in seperate rooms) but they were methodical searches of peoples luggage. ANYTHING of a white powder nature is taken away for further investigation - even if there is a doctors note to confirm the substance is legal & medically prescribed!! There were a number of cases earlier this year where the Santo Domingo drugs squad searched & found large consignments of drugs being smuggled out - the carriers are safely locked up for many years to come, thank God!!

Regardless of whether these searches ARE methodical or not, having drugs which MIGHT be found is a very dangerous thing to carry & YOU should not be suggesting to others that it MIGHT be safe to carry them IN OR OUT!!! Read the stories in the archives as to what happens to those even appearing to be involved with drug carrying or posession. To put YOUR involvement with same some viists ago on a PUBLIC domain board is a most dangerous thing to do & most foolhardy I would suggest! - Grahame.

who cares if is a public board dude ....maybe I am lying and am really 8 years old....
A THOUSND PESO TO THE FIRST ONE WHO COMES BACK WITH ...."YOU ARE ACTING LIKE A 8 YEAR OLD"