Update on DC are Dominicans/Dominican Interested People

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Just want to get a hold of who is still in the DC area on this thread. Haven't seen too many post from DC area people. Would like to see us in this area keep better in touch with each other.

As for me, I've been in this area for five years, currently living in Fair Lakes, Virginia, Grandmother is from the DR, travel quite often to Santo Domingo, and I love almost everything about the country. I work as a Defense Contractor in the area but unfortunately for me I am in the Air National Guard and have spent most of this past year over in the Middle East.

Looking for some responses. Come on Deelt, you can add to this because I know you are in the area.

Looking forward to your responses.

ALB3

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I surrender

to the shout out, ALB3...your are too much. :mad:

Recently moved out here from the Northeast and would like to know more about those who are interested in or are of Dominican ancestry. While I have met a few I don't mind making more friends. :cool:

D

ALB3 said:
Just want to get a hold of who is still in the DC area on this thread. Haven't seen too many post from DC area people. Would like to see us in this area keep better in touch with each other.

As for me, I've been in this area for five years, currently living in Fair Lakes, Virginia, Grandmother is from the DR, travel quite often to Santo Domingo, and I love almost everything about the country. I work as a Defense Contractor in the area but unfortunately for me I am in the Air National Guard and have spent most of this past year over in the Middle East.

Looking for some responses. Come on Deelt, you can add to this because I know you are in the area.

Looking forward to your responses.

ALB3

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Not far from DC

I live in Delaware which is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from DC. I love the Dominican Republic and just recently came back from there. I am planning to go again in Oct for vacation. Don't know of too many Dominicans in DE but I'm not that far from NY. Would love to chat. I don't know of very many Dominicans in my area.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dominican in My Heart. Does that Count?

I'm still here in Alexandria, guys. Married to a dominicana 18 yrs. Lived there 4. I drink presidentes, eat tostones and dance merengue. Need I say more? :cheeky:

Sancochojoe is down near Lake Anna and throws a party every now and then. I think DCfred is still in DC. JWB is in Woodbridge, if memory serves, as is kingofdice. Kalima is in Annandale (K, aren't we due for a Presidente by now???) . hormiga has been silent for many months -- she's here in Northern Va. Natasha has been silent on the board ever since the new format began, but I still see her every once in a while and I know she still reads the boards. I know I'm leaving someone out, for which I apologize. But that should give you a start on your list. :classic:
Best Regards,
Keith

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey, VA/DC/MD-ers!

KeithR-If it's the same Natasha...I think she had a baby recently which adds to the silence.

To All-
It's good to see people turning up and responding since, like ALB3, I was curious too. I recently did a socio-econominc breakdown of Dominicans in the DC-Tri-"State" area. If my numbers were adjusted for error I would say that there are over 15,000 Dominicans here.

I am sure ALB3 will agree with me on this one: we are up for a Presidente anytime...and a Mama Juana if and only if slowly sipped at home. :cheeky: :smoke:

Talk to ya soon.
Peace

Deelt
Keith R said:
I'm still here in Alexandria, guys. Married to a dominicana 18 yrs. Lived there 4. I drink presidentes, eat tostones and dance merengue. Need I say more? :cheeky:

Sancochojoe is down near Lake Anna and throws a party every now and then. I think DCfred is still in DC. JWB is in Woodbridge, if memory serves, as is kingofdice. Kalima is in Annandale (K, aren't we due for a Presidente by now???) . hormiga has been silent for many months -- she's here in Northern Va. Natasha has been silent on the board ever since the new format began, but I still see her every once in a while and I know she still reads the boards. I know I'm leaving someone out, for which I apologize. But that should give you a start on your list. :classic:
Best Regards,
Keith

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Kingofdice is still in Woodbridge, VA. I just made a recent trip to the D.R. in early June, my 2nd this year and 11th since July 2000. I will be returning again in early August for another 6 days and also plan to return in October. A banner year. (Viva the Dominican Republic).

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
deelt said:
KeithR-If it's the same Natasha...I think she had a baby recently which adds to the silence.

I am sure ALB3 will agree with me on this one: we are up for a Presidente anytime...and a Mama Juana if and only if slowly sipped at home. :cheeky: :smoke:

Talk to ya soon.
Peace

Deelt
Hi Deelt. I apologize for not replying to your earlier PM. Would love to meet you -- always up for a coffee or Presidente. ;) PM me again or e-mail me, ok, and let's arrange it.

Yes, Natasha had a baby -- I attended his baptism last year (HB did I ever show you those pics?), and his first birthday party this past spring. Natasha also just moved into a new house in May or so in Arlington, and she helps her hubby run a nonprofit when not playing (and enjoying) mom. She has also been thinking of returning to work soon, which I hope she does. She is quite intelligent (PhD) and cares much for her country.

I proposed having all the local DR1ers plus our various Dominican cousins over to my house for a BBQ & beer sometime soon, and my wife just about fainted. So I think maybe I'll have to think up another venue. But I'm interested and willing to help organize it if someone knows a good place we could hold a BBQ or pot luck or some such. I'll be willing to bring not only food but a pretty good collection of merengue and salsa (if I do say so myself!). I want a party with some dancing fools! ;) Let's show those NYC guys that they have nothing on us when it comes to partying!!! (BTW, I actually traveled to NYC last fall to attend their first get-together -- I challenge any of them to go to such lengths to attend ours! :cheeky: )

Warm Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
kingofdice said:
Kingofdice is still in Woodbridge, VA. I just made a recent trip to the D.R. in early June, my 2nd this year and 11th since July 2000. I will be returning again in early August for another 6 days and also plan to return in October. A banner year. (Viva the Dominican Republic).

Charlie, let's get together for a brew sometime soon. Know a good happy hour in this area? :cheeky:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Sounds like a plan...

Hey Keith,

No problem on the PM. Maybe you can convince SancochoJoe to have something at his place before mid-August since it would be great if ALB3 could attend. Another option is to do something at a park in two weeks. I'm still fairly new to the area maybe some of you can suggest a park where we can BBQ. I also have another option but I'll pass it through ALB3 first for his opinion.

On Natasha, yes it is definitely the same one. Yes, I know her husband well. He and I were to meet up soon to discuss organizing an event. I've attended a few of the Latitudes events. If you have too, then we have probably seen each other. While I've heard a lot about Natasha through mutual friends we have yet to meet personally. It will be great when we do finally meet. Just a matter of time. :)

Ya'll can put me down for some flan. :) As a displaced former DominicanYork. I can dance it all with the best of them so the NYC-DR1ers can git to the curb. :cheeky:

Let's do this,
Deelt

Keith R said:
Hi Deelt. I apologize for not replying to your earlier PM. Would love to meet you -- always up for a coffee or Presidente. ;) PM me again or e-mail me, ok, and let's arrange it.

Yes, Natasha had a baby -- I attended his baptism last year (HB did I ever show you those pics?), and his first birthday party this past spring. Natasha also just moved into a new house in May or so in Arlington, and she helps her hubby run a nonprofit when not playing (and enjoying) mom. She has also been thinking of returning to work soon, which I hope she does. She is quite intelligent (PhD) and cares much for her country.

I proposed having all the local DR1ers plus our various Dominican cousins over to my house for a BBQ & beer sometime soon, and my wife just about fainted. So I think maybe I'll have to think up another venue. But I'm interested and willing to help organize it if someone knows a good place we could hold a BBQ or pot luck or some such. I'll be willing to bring not only food but a pretty good collection of merengue and salsa (if I do say so myself!). I want a party with some dancing fools! ;) Let's show those NYC guys that they have nothing on us when it comes to partying!!! (BTW, I actually traveled to NYC last fall to attend their first get-together -- I challenge any of them to go to such lengths to attend ours! :cheeky: )

Warm Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
deelt said:
Hey Keith,

No problem on the PM. Maybe you can convince SancochoJoe to have something at his place before mid-August since it would be great if ALB3 could attend. Another option is to do something at a park in two weeks. I'm still fairly new to the area maybe some of you can suggest a park where we can BBQ. I also have another option but I'll pass it through ALB3 first for his opinion.

On Natasha, yes it is definitely the same one. Yes, I know her husband well. He and I were to meet up soon to discuss organizing an event. I've attended a few of the Latitudes events. If you have too, then we have probably seen each other. While I've heard a lot about Natasha through mutual friends we have yet to meet personally. It will be great when we do finally meet. Just a matter of time. :)

Ya'll can put me down for some flan. :) As a displaced former DominicanYork. I can dance it all with the best of them so the NYC-DR1ers can git to the curb. :cheeky:

Let's do this,
Deelt

Hi Deelt. Glad to hear it -- that would make at least 3 of dancers at the party -- you, my wife and I. It's a start!

Bob is a great guy. I have yet to attend a Latitude event, unfortunately, but not for lack of wanting. Just always seems to fall on a time and date when I have a conflict or am out-of-town....someday soon I'll sit in on one, I hope. Natasha is an extremely nice lady, very classy. Well worth meeting.

Haven't heard from Joe in a while. Wonder if he's upset with me for not going to his Memorial Day bash.... If an August bash, has to be after the 14th or I can't make it -- or better put, you guys will have to party without me (but I'm sure you would do just fine without me!).
Best Regards,
Keith

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Keith R said:
I want a party with some dancing fools! ;) Let's show those NYC guys that they have nothing on us when it comes to partying!!! (BTW, I actually traveled to NYC last fall to attend their first get-together -- I challenge any of them to go to such lengths to attend ours! :cheeky: )

Keith

You name the date, place and time and I promise, Bugsey, Betty and I would take the challenge. Make the trip and show you how we party in NY.

(now all I have to do is convince them and the hubbies that this is a great idea HEE HEE)

nah we will be there!!

Lina
(New Yorker and proud)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
MaineGirl said:
I'll be in town this week, arrive Thursday evening and leave Sunday. Anything doing? I'm staying out in Round Hill.
Ay, Amity, que pena! I'll be out of town this weekend! would have loved to have seen you again.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
linamia said:
Keith R said:
I want a party with some dancing fools! ;) Let's show those NYC guys that they have nothing on us when it comes to partying!!! (BTW, I actually traveled to NYC last fall to attend their first get-together -- I challenge any of them to go to such lengths to attend ours! :cheeky: )

Keith

You name the date, place and time and I promise, Bugsey, Betty and I would take the challenge. Make the trip and show you how we party in NY.

(now all I have to do is convince them and the hubbies that this is a great idea HEE HEE)

nah we will be there!!

Lina
(New Yorker and proud)

Now we're talking! The 3 (NY) Graces at our party! That would be cool. Now guys, we have extra motivation for pulling this DC area bash together! :cheeky:

Just save some dances for me, L. You too, Betty. ;)

Regards,
Keith

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Wow

I leave town for a few days and then all the posts come in. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

I am a dancer too but make no claims to my level of greatness. I'll let others be the judge of that. It's good to see the level of interest in getting to know each other. I'm looking forward to that day.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ALB3, you don't have to wait until a big bash is put together in order to meet some of us. I for one am always open to meeting fellow DR1ers living in Metro DC area, or even those just passing through. My PM and e-mail is always open, guys!
Best Regards,
Keith

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Great

I'll definitely be in touch. I'll contact you soon to when we can meet.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Would love to meet any DC area paisanos!

Hi! I've lived in Maryland for the past 18 years, mostly in Montgomery county. Haven't met many compatriotas. If anyone knows where the "meeting" place for DeaR lovers is, please post the address here. Thanks.

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
DC Drer's

Don Juan said:
Hi! I've lived in Maryland for the past 18 years, mostly in Montgomery county. Haven't met many compatriotas. If anyone knows where the "meeting" place for DeaR lovers is, please post the address here. Thanks.

You've been here for 18 years. You've got me beat by 13 years. I don't know of any meeting place per se but there are a couple of restaurants around. One is called Carolinas and it is on 14th St. in DC. I'm sure the DC area DR1ers will be more than happy to meet you. I know I am and I can say yes for a few others.